Autopsy Cats lose to Saints by 10 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see what you've linked unfortunately Heckler, must be my Platinum Membership - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/account/upgrades ;) or somethin'

any other Irish players apart from the aforementioned 4 that are in the mix? Pearce Handley was handy; apart from that I think things start to drop off a bit - Setanta O'hAilpin at Carlton had his moments. Mark O'Connor might still have a fair way to go ..
Tryin' uploading that link again
6 1994 v Melbourne at Kardinia Park

Gazza kicks 10 goals

EDIT: just realized what was on the rest of that link : NSFW

Last edited:
Disappointing to see Miers regress the way he has. Looked a certain starter last year but just seems to be a bit one dimensional. I'm still amazed how footballers can get drafted having absolutely no skills on their opposite side whatsoever.
All drafted players should be able to competently kick left or right foot.

Cameron is beginning to worry me. When he was playing alongside Johnson, Greene, Patton or Himmelberg, he only ever produced two excellent performances in over 12 finals appearances.
Has plenty of time to correct this but as we have already witnessed with players like Rohan and now Hawkins, their seems to be an big issue when it comes to standing tall and playing like the star players they are when it's not a must win or go home scenario.
We needed more from our franchise player on the weekend.
Hopefully he feasts on the usual struggler's in the coming weeks.

I've had concerns about Miers for a long time now for a number of reasons regardless of his current form woes.

For mine he has actually improved his attack on the contest over time - he'll never be a heavyweight and in his first couple of seasons I saw him pull out of ground-ball contests or attack them gingerly - simply out of his weight division. He's hardened that part of his game up and takes more hits for the team these days.

It's his kicking around the ground that is the big issue. He's capable of crafting a goal when within range, but he struggles to kick over the man on the mark and unless the shortest of short options is on - diagonally or horizontally only - then he is all but hemmed in.

Apart from that fatal flaw in his kicking, he is also down on form and confidence. He's actually getting to contests well, has added a nice little lead-up-and-mark aspect to his game this year and is smart enough to recognise his own kicking limitations, seeking to play on and handball more often after he has gained possession.

But if a footballer can't rely on his kicking around the ground then it going to be exploited and cost the team with some regularity.

Not sure about Carlton (such rubbish percentage must mean something) but agree with the rest!
Carlton are Top 4 for sure, barring no major injuries. Their midfield has serious bulls that go hard at it. I said after week 2 they are a genuine contender.

Awesome, that was a fun trip down memory lane - poor old Couchy; what a left boot he had.

Ablett's 1v1 chest mark against Wight for his 6th was classic late-career Gazza; strength and judgement.

That burst of speed from a standing start was still electric at 33 years of age. Often looks like his opponent was in no mans land. The first 10 metres, it was quite explosive.
Not sure there have been many athletes hold onto most of their natural speed by the end of their careers? We look at Dangerfield right now and he's dropped off a bit in the space of 18 months (now 32 years).

That burst of speed from a standing start was still electric at 33 years of age. Often looks like his opponent was in no mans land but the first 10 metres, it was quite explosive.
Not sure there have been many athletes hold most of their natural speed by the end of their careers? We look at Dangerfield right now and he's dropped off a bit in the space of 18 months (now 32 years).
You must have seen stuff like this more than anybody else, and I bet the thing is, it never becomes repetitive.

You must have seen stuff like this more than anybody else, and I bet the thing is, it never becomes repetitive.

It is still entertaining even after all these years Vdubs.
It is the only reason why I follow Geelong today (albeit half-heartedly). I'm hoping that maybe one day, we unearth another God-like footballing talent.

I've had concerns about Miers for a long time now for a number of reasons regardless of his current form woes.

For mine he has actually improved his attack on the contest over time - he'll never be a heavyweight and in his first couple of seasons I saw him pull out of ground-ball contests or attack them gingerly - simply out of his weight division. He's hardened that part of his game up and takes more hits for the team these days.

It's his kicking around the ground that is the big issue. He's capable of crafting a goal when within range, but he struggles to kick over the man on the mark and unless the shortest of short options is on - diagonally or horizontally only - then he is all but hemmed in.

Apart from that fatal flaw in his kicking, he is also down on form and confidence. He's actually getting to contests well, has added a nice little lead-up-and-mark aspect to his game this year and is smart enough to recognise his own kicking limitations, seeking to play on and handball more often after he has gained possession.

But if a footballer can't rely on his kicking around the ground then it going to be exploited and cost the team with some regularity.
Fair points. What I find hilarious is that other posters go on about the club’s failure to play youth but then have a go at our young players. Miers is only 23 and has shown his skills and endurance in the past, but apparently he is now useless. He is down on confidence and needs a spell in the VFL, but perhaps the MC consider we can’t do without his running with the injuries we have. Also criticised are Parfitt 24, Guthrie 23, O’Connor 25 but in Irish years 23, Evans 21, and even Knevitt. They should have a look at other clubs and see how long it takes young players to become established if they are not top 10 in the draft.

It is still entertaining even after all these years Vdubs.
It is the only reason why I follow Geelong today (albeit half-heartedly). I'm hoping that maybe one day, we unearth another God-like footballing talent.
Working with U18 footy teams, Petracca is the closest to the beastly talent that GAS had. Vertical leap, great mark, untacklable, great goal sense, explosive...... But probably not fit to tie Gazza's bootlaces.

Who knows? Wouldn't surprise me if we lost to the Eagles but beat the tigers.
Wouldn't exactly follow current form lines. Unlike in previous years, it's not like we're beating a lot of good sides and then getting upset by lower-ranked sides. We're beating up on the poor sides, getting beaten by contenders and going 50/50 against mid-table sides around where we are. Sydney game aside, we've thus far at least been competitive in our losses despite the woeful inconsistency within games, going from dominating to getting overrun late.

It's as much as any discerning observer would have expected. Unlike previous years, too, you can't really look at the list and say we should be better. We just don't have the players. It's a mix of of once-good players who are now very much past their prime and struggling mixed with some B-graders and inexperienced young talent.

This year was always going to be frustrating because we had continued to, or been forced due to previous list management decisions, to pursue a flag with this group, but it was evident they were a spent force and many sides had and would go past us. Meanwhile, we don't have a copious amount of young talent to start blooding, so it's a bit of a meandering year, sitting around the middle of the table playing many of the same old blokes waiting for the deep cut to occur at the end of the year and work to start being done to properly regenerate. It becomes more frustrating if the prospects we do have aren't getting games now.

Last edited:
Working with U18 footy teams, Petracca is the closest to the beastly talent that GAS had. Vertical leap, great mark, untacklable, great goal sense, explosive...... But probably not fit to tie Gazza's bootlaces.

What a career he's now having. Can now go one of two different directions, remains on this consistent A grade path like that of Dangerfield, Fyfe, Selwood or he can take another step forward and become even more dynamic and really put himself in the same conversations as some of the greats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair points. What I find hilarious is that other posters go on about the club’s failure to play youth but then have a go at our young players. Miers is only 23 and has shown his skills and endurance in the past, but apparently he is now useless. He is down on confidence and needs a spell in the VFL, but perhaps the MC consider we can’t do without his running with the injuries we have. Also criticised are Parfitt 24, Guthrie 23, O’Connor 25 but in Irish years 23, Evans 21, and even Knevitt. They should have a look at other clubs and see how long it takes young players to become established if they are not top 10 in the draft.
67 games is probably almost enough to identify inherent flaws in the player's game that will likely be persistent throughout their career and hinder their capacity to contribute to a top-level side. His kicking is terrible for an AFL footballer. Bad technique and bad results. Also scared of the contest. Those are usually fairly fatal flaws at AFL level and they're not really two aspects of the game likely to be rectified through more experience. He started off doing well when played closer to goal, but time gives you a chance to better evaluate players, and it's not unusual for some players to bob up with unexpectedly good early form but struggle to progress from that point once they receive more attention and more starts being asked of them that tests the limits of their skill set.

Zuthrie also has nothing. Got on the list, has stayed on it, and gets games, purely through nepotism.

But all of this is part of the process of playing youth. You have to test them at AFL level, over time, to see if they are going to develop into players. We know that many of the players that are invested in will not work out, but you need to go through the trial and error process with them to establish those that will break through and become core members of the next push up the ladder. Most of the guys you mentioned were low draft/rookie picks too, so odds are they won't be long-term players. Not really surprising.

That burst of speed from a standing start was still electric at 33 years of age. Often looks like his opponent was in no mans land. The first 10 metres, it was quite explosive.
Not sure there have been many athletes hold onto most of their natural speed by the end of their careers? We look at Dangerfield right now and he's dropped off a bit in the space of 18 months (now 32 years).

Very true.
Everything about Ablett was explosive.
But your point about his first 10 meter burst is a good one.

Also fair points.
I've already steeled myself to stick by the likes of DeKoning and Toby Conway through the ups and downs; we need new tall talent and they might be the answer - but there will be teething problems when investing games in young prospects.
I like what I've seen of Knevitt, he's got a looong way to go and his kicking looks a little rough but he has the frame and athleticism to work with.

Wouldn't exactly follow current form lines. Unlike in previous years, it's not like we're beating a lot of good sides and then getting upset by lower-ranked sides. We're beating up on the poor sides, getting beaten by contenders and going 50/50 against mid-table sides around where we are. Sydney game aside, we've thus far at least been competitive in our losses despite the woeful inconsistency within games, going from dominating to getting overrun late.

It's as much as any discerning observer would have expected. Unlike previous years, too, you can't really look at the list and say we should be better. We just don't have the players. It's a mix of of once-good players who are now very much past their prime and struggling mixed with some B-graders and inexperienced young talent.

This year was always going to be frustrating because we had continued to, or been forced due to previous list management decisions, to pursue a flag with this group, but it was evident they were a spent force and many sides had and would go past us. Meanwhile, we don't have a copious amount of young talent to start blooding, so it's a bit of a meandering year, sitting around the middle of the table playing many of the same old blokes waiting for the deep cut to occur at the end of the year and work to start being done to properly regenerate. It becomes more frustrating if the prospects we do have aren't getting games now.
You nailed that.

True, although we did knock off the Lions who are otherwise unbeaten this year and then lose to a very average Hawks outfit the week after. Just eyeing the draw and seeing the Eagles in the west coming off the dreaded bye and I just pencil it in as a loss regardless of how they're travelling. It's about the time of year we usually take a bit of a holiday.

I never thought I'd say this but Stewart was bloody awful, De Koning is a star.
With no Henry, Henderson or Blicavs, and DEK new to the job, so no height, the backline has lost confidence in marking. They are punching the ball so it stays in the 50. When the opposition have no clever route in, they kick it long as we are undermanned.

Very true.
Everything about Ablett was explosive.
But your point about his first 10 meter burst is a good one.

Also fair points.
I've already steeled myself to stick by the likes of DeKoning and Toby Conway through the ups and downs; we need new tall talent and they might be the answer - but there will be teething problems when investing games in young prospects.
I like what I've seen of Knevitt, he's got a looong way to go and his kicking looks a little rough but he has the frame and athleticism to work with.
It was interesting to hear Scott admit that the MC made a commitment to SDK preseason that they would back him in in that position no matter how things were looking. The reporter then turned it around and said "you say there was a commitment to blooding young players.." and Scott shut it down and made it clear that it was a specific point about SDK. The main point is that it really shows how a young player can thrive when you put a bit of faith in them and give them the opportunity for more than 1 or 2 games here and there. But I also got the sense there was a bit of a raw nerve with the "blooding" comment, I imagine because of what it tends to imply about the current bigger picture direction of the club.

It doesn't surprise me we still have supporters defending players like Stanley. He isn't the only issue - our defence is piss poor (some of the younger guys can get a pass) but not players like Kolo... Reality is team is not good enough to compete for a premiership - sucks but its the truth. Chris Scott also not a good enough coach to get a premiership with our current list. He was outcoached on Saturday night - or the players didn't listen. Structures were all off.

Last edited:
On the weekend Dangerfield accumulated 62 AFL fantasy points for his game in the midfield against St Kilda. Petracca already had 65 fantasy points 8 minutes into the second quarter against WC and finished with 139. Viney had 118 and Oliver 91.
Selwood 83, Cuthrie 78, Parfitt 65. Obviously not comparing apples to apples but our midfield is not going to bother many teams.
The other thing to note is our midfield does not contribute much to the scoreboard. Dangerfield and Parfitt are terrible at set shots. Selwood and Cuthrie are ok. DF, Selwood, C Guthrie and Parfitt have contributed a total of 4 goals in the last 6 matches.

Just a quick observation that I feel encompasses a lot of our woes, Selwood is still one of our most important midfielders. He is a star but no way known should he be in the top 2-3 midfielders in the team if we are to challenge. But kudos to him, absolute champion.

On the weekend Dangerfield accumulated 62 AFL fantasy points for his game in the midfield against St Kilda. Petracca already had 65 fantasy points 8 minutes into the second quarter against WC and finished with 139. Viney had 118 and Oliver 91.
Selwood 83, Cuthrie 78, Parfitt 65. Obviously not comparing apples to apples but our midfield is not going to bother many teams.
The other thing to note is our midfield does not contribute much to the scoreboard. Dangerfield and Parfitt are terrible at set shots. Selwood and Cuthrie are ok. DF, Selwood, C Guthrie and Parfitt have contributed a total of 4 goals in the last 6 matches.
Yep. Excellent post.

Parfitt should be dropped. Has not come on at all. Trade him while he still has value.

Dangerfield was always expected to decline and he is signed to end 2024.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back