Autopsy Cats lose to Saints by 10 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jez is a concern. Big games against kangaroos and Giants but quiet against Dockers and Saints. Is Cameron a flat tracker for Geelong?

Bit harsh, both games you mentioned we got spanked in the middle, it's hard for Jez, and for that matter Hawkins, to do much if the ball isnt going inside 50 much.

Bit harsh, both games you mentioned we got spanked in the middle, it's hard for Jez, and for that matter Hawkins, to do much if the ball isnt going inside 50 much.
Plenty of ball inside 50 in the first half and he was well held by his opponent.

Not sure this group can do much better Daz.

They can't run any quicker, their kicking and handballing won't improve, and pressure remains their kryptonite.

They're giving it their best, but our next successful campaign isn't within this group imo.
Just watching the way Joel was looking at the supporters around the raceway as he exited the ground after the game. I think he knows this is his last year. Tom looking sore after every contest too.

Hopefully on shaky ground as winning finals seems beyond us.
I expect Scott to try ... the rebuilding youth strategy now.
It also depends on who may be available to replace Scott as coach

When I hear more info... will post it here.
Clarkson.? Would you sack Scott for him? Would u make him go through an interview process?

Not sure that's exactly right - I suspect a lot of St Kilda fans would have been saying the same thing at half time. Problem was we couldn't sustain it.

Was it that or they lifted their intensity? I tend to think the latter but it may be a bit of both? They certainly played at a higher level in the 3rd (which they couldn’t sustain in the 4th). We just didn’t get near them in that 30 minute period.

Couple of observations

• the amount of dropped marks especially from defenders was nauseating. Throw in the short kicks that don’t go “15” (or do and the umpire just want to get involved) we get in all sorts of trouble.
  • I don’t want to see Duncan play half back. He has absolutely stunk for weeks now. Even last week when he was apparently playing a blinder I thought it was just junk. I’ve been calling for a better ball user but he has zero interest in defending and weirdly is avoiding all body contact. He hasn’t halved a ball in the air all season. Sideways kicks isn’t the rebound we need.
  • Stewert was poor. Having Henry out hurts his game.
  • Parfitt is nowhere near as good as some think. Just a run of the mill player. The ceiling has been reached already this far in. Narkle is just no good at AFL level. You can’t be slow and not a contested beast these days. On replay he was involved in almost every centre clearence we lost.
  • Kolo having a great season.
  • High half fwds and smalls had a poor game. It happens
  • I’m ok with Stanley generally but unless he’s 100%, got some games under his belt he is as hard as custard on a hot day.
  • Danger’s season is now officially in ‘Danger’. Live he just can’t run. No spread and no endurance. His skills have always been no good but he is purely a clearance player at the minute where he can physically make it to a stoppage. Maybe he needs to play Half Fwd. Teams wont place a rebounder on him and Cameron ain’t a big physical presence.
  • Saints are a good team so no disgrace really losing away. They love speed. They love rebound. Have a better midfield. A big fwd target and an underrated defence. Outside of Howard who is a plonk. They will be in the 8 if they don’t get injuries.

I’m genuinely worried we have no real youth coming through.

Besides SDK, Close, Holmes and Stengle ehst really do we have? Cupboard if quite bare.

Don’t rate Cooper to be honest. Knevitt is just too timid, no competitive killer instinct, kroeger + Willis n we’re more draft Smokey’s who are injury prone. We really not much coming through the mids… need to prioritise the mid above all else in the upcoming drafts
Zac Guthrie, Narkle, Miers, Ratatonga, Simpson, Cockatoo.

This is the future. Thank you Wellsy.

Finally a realistic view of what happened. Stanley was doing fine until he went of late in the 1qtr. Hobbled around when he came back and hardly did any Rick work. Agree he’ll be out injured next week.

And we will have no ruck and one key defender again which i dont blame the coaches for but i do blame the list managers for. Who would have thought it might be a good idea to get talls in to replace hendo and krueger? But we did not. If our list managers dont take the best state league mature ruck in three weeks (if we get an lti and we can use 2picks take a mature kpd also) then they are silly.

Why would we feel the need to rebuild because we lost a game of footy by 10 points to a top four side?? Bit exaggerated by a few.

Because when you include the end to last year, this is how our most recent run of games looks (since the GWS game at Geelong):

7 wins, 8 losses. That's against everyone. A 5-4 start after losing 4 of our your last 6 games in 2021 means it most definitely is not one game. It looks like 2021 gradually bit and hit hard at the end of a long season last year, and with too many players another year older in the wrong part (i.e. past 30) the entire team is feeling it.

Just watching the way Joel was looking at the supporters around the raceway as he exited the ground after the game. I think he knows this is his last year. Tom looking sore after every contest too.

Never seen such a competitive guy, but the toll of Father Time, and the reality of the team's situation, will eventually blunt his will to push on.

Perhaps that's what you saw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The trade was made in 2020 CC. It doesn’t matter what your opinion of their 2022 flag chances are now. Any team in the club’s position in 2020 would have done the deal without blinking. Done it laughing. It was a no-brainer. Yes, that simple.

Fair enough, thanks for the response.

Personally I think this trade will be judged much like the Tim Kelly > Eagles trade.

Club misjudges the strength of its list and adds a costly player at the price - the price being the chance to replenish and freshen up the list with quality juniors.

And even if we only nailed 1 of those 3 picks, we'd still have a 10-12 year player hopefully able to contribute to our next premiership tilt. But if we got a good result from all three selections ...

Anyway it is what it is, and I don't wish to derail the review thread further with list management talk. I do enjoy watching Jeremy Cameron ply his trade.

We are nine games into the season. It's not really one game where we lost by 10 points. There's an underlying theme of subpar work rate in the midfield that isn't going to be solved by the current playing list IMO.
It isn't going to be solved. Full stop. You just said it. This is our list. This is our plight. We will get beaten by the better teams and those on the way up, and we will have a fair share of wins this year, and that may lessen over the next few year while we do start to rebuild.
We must accept that finally, our time as a top 4 aspirant is finished.
It was always going to happen.
It is not the coach.

That is a lot of outs….not arguing the logic of outs…but where do the ins come from?
I said on thin ice. Dropping all 6 won't happen but that players I mentioned were all poor.

So your response to us making a Grand Final in 2020 would have been...to just give up pre-emptively without even waiting to see any evidence that the team that made it to the final dance had declined and that they couldn't go one step further the next year? :drunk:

Give up?
No.
But I'd have taken a different approach to the one that has failed us in the past decade, i.e. bringing in more and more players with a decade of football on the clock.
Only been 3 teams in the past 20 years to have saluted the year after losing a GF.
Once upon a time it was a regular occurrence - but a team is just as likely to completely fall off a cliff the year following a GF loss these days.
We didn't do that in 2021, but we didn't jag a flag with a very old side, either.
Do you think we'll manage to add to the trophy cabinet with Cameron on board?
I don't blame Cameron for this, at all. But he won't be part of the solution.

To be fair, Marshall and Ryder probably best ruck combo going around.
Always was going to be a struggle.

We did something-got old Ceglar (eye rolls) and a boy in Neale

Yes we will join Pure_Ownage screaming Alleluia and pass the shotgun - when they finally listen to him msd

At least we invested in Toby Conway in the off-season, too - hopefully Ceglar is earning some of that $ by showing the kid the ropes while he (Ceglar) is unable to contribute on the field.

It isn't going to be solved. Full stop. You just said it. This is our list. This is our plight. We will get beaten by the better teams and those on the way up, and we will have a fair share of wins this year, and that may lessen over the next few year while we do start to rebuild.
We must accept that finally, our time as a top 4 aspirant is finished.
It was always going to happen.
It is not the coach.

Yep, it is what it is. The bed has been made and we have to lay in it.

The quality and endurance of our list has been badly misjudged by the hierarchy....... Our old guys are fading fast, faster than we can replace them.....our depth is shallow, and we don't even know if we have a ruckman on the list.

Can't blame CS solely for this situation, but he has to carry some responsibility for it.

13.12 to 11.14 - we lost, but let’s get perspective. 3rd quarter went against us badly and a couple of players exposed and won’t play when we next play them. Danger needs fitness- he looked cooked at end of the first quarter!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Narkle clearly is not invested in this club anymore.
If he's not invested in this club he won't be invested in any club, because no other club wanted him in the trade period.

I don't think that's the problem. He seems to lack the urgency and drive that marks the difference between regular AFL players and also-rans. It's sad because he definitely has the skills and awareness to be a very good player. But he's on borrowed time unless he can find this ingredient, and fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back