Autopsy Cats lose to Suns by 19 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to make this really simple for you because I know you struggle with basic comprehension (or just posts that don't contain ample exclamation marks)

Posters have an issue with YOU. I find it amazing that you can't grasp that.

Your recent opinions on performance, while negative, aren't too dissimilar to what most of us are feeling and posting about right now.

The problem arises when you lack basic self awareness with what you post.

You are constantly negative. Even during a 16 game winning streak on the way to a premiership it wasn't "Gee, how good is this?!?" It was "Wouldn't want to choke again - We're going to choke - The club will fail like it always does"

We all put up with it for a long time, and now that posters are finally calling you out you've claimed you're being bullied....when really you're just a paranoid and comprehensively negative person.

I'm serious, go over to the Saints board and cry foul about supporting the reigning premiers and their poor start to the year after seeing 4 flags in 15 years.

You'll be laughed out of the place....because you can't grasp basic perspective.
Get back to the cats! Haha but thanks for your attention! I’m flattered! Haha oh dear…what an existence!

Haha! No one is turning just giving an opinion that the echo chamber can’t accept. But continue to ingratiate… I’m okay !
You are fine to have all of your opinions about everything here, but this place is not an echo chamber. Almost no one here agrees on literally anything.

This is actually the best post of the entire thread. That was eye-opening reading for sure.
Agreed, I guess you can’t win every game, we are underdone, the real hard nuts aren’t playing with the same fire as late last year, but assuming we can win 15 of the next 20 we’ll still be a chance for top four.

So much of the commentary from that game is the same as this loss, so it’s kinda pleasing that we were doing a bit of the same early last season.

No supporter likes to lose.

FFS, being told that your "opinion" is bullshit, is not "being bullied".

Welcome to the 2020's ...where emotional torment equates to assault. Man things sure are different from when I was told as kid that sticks and stones etc.... and also that a difference in opinion was to be valued and debated.... but not now it seems a difference in opinion opens one up to accusations that remind me of McCarthyism ...

anyway...

Speaking for myself .... 0 and 3... I am fine with this situation. WE have lost a three games and maybe we will lose a few more.. I think some (not including you Fred) have been in this bubble of success so long they have forgotten what its like to lose a few. get slapped a bit.

To be fair , perhaps some are not used to us losing or ever experienced us being ordianry.. its been a while... Since 2004 ..we have been on some sort of run.

but just a little perspective ... the vast majority of supporters of other clubs would trade 5 losing seasons including a couple of winless years ..all for one flag. Watching StKilda and their 150th celebrations ... trying to find a redeeming attribute in one flag in that time was like listen to a spoon full of sugar will help the medicine go down.. pretty bitter to be honest.

I cant see any reason why we would not just enjoy the ups even more .. suck a few lemons for a while ...the good times will only have a bigger contrast. Have been living in Willy Wonka land that long that we really don't know when you have it good and don't?

Players written off before a game played. Champs written off when obviously so many are not at their best. ...and don't forget otehr sides have their time and are coming for us. Games lost to side full of talent doing unusually good things. That Luk goal was fantastic.

2023 is not going how id expected.. but so what... it makes this season even more interesting. Who knows what the outcome could be...

and just for a week we can dream about getting Harley Reid... can you imagine the internal combustion if we were able to get him. LOL just for a week , what a giggle.

The media lining up to have pot shots ... all wood for the fire as far as im concerned .. it will harden a few soft resolves.

Honestly we can lose all year ..and I still will not be overly perturbed..... but I doubt we will. It will turn around and we will start looking at a few list changes and a few alterations. ... as the truest saying in footy is that its never as good or never as bad as you think

Mods, can we delete this stupid sh** please?

As the mods have repeatedly advised - posters are welcome to report any content they believe goes against what's laid out in the Setting the Tone thread or as per the BigFooty T&Cs

As part of that posters agree to not bait or provoke negative responses, as well as to not feed trolls by reporting posts instead of engaging - as it stands there's been ZERO posts reported, though I'd suggest there's been a bit of baiting & negative response provoking, especially in posts already deleted...

The best, easiest and quickest option if posters don't agree with the content of another poster is that instead of engaging in a back & forth on the board where all posts are going to get deleted - use the report function & move on without engaging

This is actually the best post of the entire thread. That was eye-opening reading for sure.
For some much needed comic relief (Autopsy - Cats lose to Hawks by 12), the catempire and Jack The Godfather exchange from page 11-13 and their proposed bet cracked me up. FWIW, if Jack could only offer acceptable odds on that bet he'd have made some $$$ as the Cats in fact were 10-5 and not 11-4 or better by round 15.

To be 10-5 by round 15 this year we'd need 10 wins from the following.

-Hawthorn @MCG
-WCE @AO
-Sydney @GMHBA
-Essendon @MCG
-Adelaide @GMHBA
-Richmond @MCG
-Fremantle @Optus
-GWS @GMHBA
-Bulldogs Marvel
-Port @AO
-Melbourne @GMHBA

Looks unlikely right now, but 2022 Geelong could do it so it depends whether we find that again pronto.

Hawthorn @MCG Possible
-WCE @AO Likely
-Sydney @GMHBA Nope
-Essendon @MCG Possible
-Adelaide @GMHBA 50/50
-Richmond @MCG Likely
-Fremantle @Optus Nope
-GWS @GMHBA Likely
-Bulldogs Marvel Likely
-Port @AO 50/50
-Melbourne @GMHBA 50/50

Pending form and injuries naturally

Crows at KP tougher than Tigers at the MCG??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn @MCG Possible
-WCE @AO Likely
-Sydney @GMHBA Nope
-Essendon @MCG Possible
-Adelaide @GMHBA 50/50
-Richmond @MCG Likely
-Fremantle @Optus Nope
-GWS @GMHBA Likely
-Bulldogs Marvel Likely
-Port @AO 50/50
-Melbourne @GMHBA 50/50

Interesting but we only do wins/losses with this one I'm afraid. Glass half full optimist to the last, but mine:

-Hawthorn @MCG Win
-WCE @AO Win
-Sydney @GMHBA Win
-Essendon @MCG Loss
-Adelaide @GMHBA Win
-Richmond @MCG Win
-Fremantle @Optus Loss
-GWS @GMHBA Win
-Bulldogs Marvel Win
-Port @AO Win
-Melbourne @GMHBA Win

8-7 or 9-6 might be more realistic, but above remains feasible.

We tend to play well in Geelong with our backs to the wall, the first game at home unfurling the flag too - we have to be up for that. Winning 8 or even 9 of our 9 Geelong games isn't impossible. It's only impossible if you think this form line will last all season. We tend to only drop one even in years where we've had sides worse than this one on paper ('16, '17, '19 etc).

We should take one of the MCG games (I rate Collingwood and Carlton ahead of Richmond and Essendon, and I think out form/fitness by then well be better) and one of the interstate games unless our implosion is sustained. Port and Bulldogs have question marks over them.

Someone bookmark this so we can laugh about it when Geelong are 5-10.

Hawthorn @MCG Possible
-WCE @AO Likely
-Sydney @GMHBA Nope
-Essendon @MCG Possible
-Adelaide @GMHBA Likely
-Richmond @MCG Likely
-Fremantle @Optus Nope
-GWS @GMHBA Likely
-Bulldogs Marvel Likely
-Port @AO 50/50
-Melbourne @GMHBA 50/50

Well Freo just lost to North and Port just lost to Adelaide. I'm going possible and likely respectively.

Melbourne I'd have us a Nope for

Well Freo just lost to North and Port just lost to Adelaide. I'm going possible and likely respectively.

I still think Melb are 50/50 as our form and fitness should improve by then …big ask but logic saids that the team can’t get any worse

But Melbourne can have an off day, like the 10 they had last season or the one they had in Brisbane 10 days ago. Collingwood at the G is tougher than Melbourne in Geelong, and we were woefully underprepared for the former.

It was quite funny reading the autopsy thread from the Hawks game last year. There wasn't a whole lot that differed from what I've been reading here. Whilst 0-3 is obviously not a great start, winning a premiership (in dominant fashion), earns you quite a few credits. In fact, I was more concerned about how we were defeated by Sydney in the round 2 game last year than I am about any of our losses this year.

Like the round 4 2022 Hawks game, all of these games were winnable, despite our lack of fitness/run. I see that as the primary cause of our problems currently, rather than the sentiment that age has finally caught up. Age would make sense if it were only our old players that were afflicted. However, when Max Holmes looks slow, you know it's down to something else.

This of course, doesn't mean I think we'll win the flag. Going B2B was always going to be a hard task, whether we started 0-3 or 3-0. I believe our best is still good enough and that we will return to that form. However, I'm not silly enough to think that if we continue to drop games during this slump, that we can simply make a charge at the end of the year and win from 8th. The physical and psychological toll making a run from that position would be too great and I think we'd run out of steam, similar to Sydney of 2017.

Moments after we won the premiership, I felt it was our last hurrah with the current group. I thought we’d take a couple of years to rejig and contend again from 2025. Our trading reflected this, bringing in players that are developing rather than making us immediately better.

If it's not to be this year, I'm not going to throw the toys out of the cot. It's unrealistic to think you can challenge every year in my opinion and you set yourself up for a whole lot of frustration if you doggedly believe so. Premierships are a project that span multiple years. If you are winning premierships at increments of 10 years you're doing quite well and that’s how I’m looking at it. If we can look back in 10 years and we’ve grabbed even just 1 more flag, it’s a job well done.

For some much needed comic relief (Autopsy - Cats lose to Hawks by 12), the catempire and Jack The Godfather exchange from page 11-13 and their proposed bet cracked me up. FWIW, if Jack could only offer acceptable odds on that bet he'd have made some $$$ as the Cats in fact were 10-5 and not 11-4 or better by round 15.

To be 10-5 by round 15 this year we'd need 10 wins from the following.

-Hawthorn @MCG
-WCE @AO
-Sydney @GMHBA
-Essendon @MCG
-Adelaide @GMHBA
-Richmond @MCG
-Fremantle @Optus
-GWS @GMHBA
-Bulldogs Marvel
-Port @AO
-Melbourne @GMHBA

Looks unlikely right now, but 2022 Geelong could do it so it depends whether we find that again pronto.

I genuinely have the Cats winning 10 of those, assuming our form improves to somewhere that we expect it should, dropping maybe the Melb game (although it is at home which makes it a far more likely win than at the G, and if we do win most of the previous games, form is clearly far better, so should be a win) or Freo.

I'll preface this post by saying I didn't see any of the match on Sunday as I was at the Grand Prix. But from the multiple messages I received, I'm in no hurry to watch it back.

In regards to our form, I can understand if there has been a drop off in hunger. Obviously many flag winning sides have gone through this and it's perfectly understandable considering you've achieved the ultimate in your sport. There isn't any higher you can go as a team. For us I think this goes a little further. This group had been written off repeatedly after failed finals series after finals series. They gave absolutely everything last year, both physically and mentally, and you only had to see comments from Danger in the Fox Footy doco to see that there was a chip on their shoulder in regards to the criticism, no matter how warranted it was. They were out to prove themselves right and everyone else wrong, and they did it.

You can easily see how much 2022 meant and how much they put in. It's nigh on impossible to replicate that in my opinion. And when you throw in the bodies getting older, it's not surprising if that hunger is just not there as much as it was last year. Even us fans have said that 2023 doesn't matter as much because of what we accomplished in 2022!

What I can't accept is what appears to be a chronically underdone physically group and a return to playing players hopelessly unfit (I was worried by the Hawkins inclusion in Round 1 and said as much). Obviously our injury list doesn't help, but when we managed players like clockwork last year, we have seemingly done a 180 on that this year. So many players look heavy with a need to lean up. I know we're behind other teams due to the flag, but we look to be a long way in regards to fitness and when you aren't fit you are constantly looking for ways to take shortcuts, something we never did last year.

The issue is how long will it take to get up to speed physically and how much damage to our season will be done in the interim? I'd have laughed if someone said we'd be the only winless side after Round 3 and even more so if they said that the Easter Monday game against a tanking Hawthorn would be season defining. It's only Round 4, but lose this and we kiss any hope of B2B goodbye.

I don't think Parfitt was injured before finals last year, just unlucky. Atkins and Duncan had to come back in to the side. There was plenty of surprise on here at the decision to omit Parfitt at the time as he had been playing well as you say.

Yep, recall that now, Duncan was of course an automatic inclusion and there weren't that many options for him to replace.

Not really. Parfitt is, and has been s**t for ages.
Close, Miers, MOC, Bews, Hawkins, Tuohy, Stengle, Holmes, Atkins and Blicavs 6 months ago were playing great footy and won a flag.

Sav is a VFL plodder. Zuthrie is not worthy of being included in this list. Been good this season.
Guthrie has had a lot worse than him. Been alright.

Bruhn is not proven.
But Parfitt is s**t.

Had more disposals and clearances last year then his career averages, and his last three games were excellent, was number one for clearances and averaged twenty seven disposals, on less then seventy five percent game time.

If that's s**t I'll take some of it in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back