Autopsy Cats lose to Suns by 19 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was quite funny reading the autopsy thread from the Hawks game last year. There wasn't a whole lot that differed from what I've been reading here. Whilst 0-3 is obviously not a great start, winning a premiership (in dominant fashion), earns you quite a few credits. In fact, I was more concerned about how we were defeated by Sydney in the round 2 game last year than I am about any of our losses this year.

Yeah my recollection of the Hawks game last year was that we were considerably the better side, but had a period of about 20 minutes where we basically let them walk it out of the guts for easy goals. (Saints game similar although was more of a tussle) It was weird.

We did start slow last year but the appeal with watching was that our game plan had obviously changed.

This year, I've yet to see us dominate a game for a significant period. But that could change.

Yeah my recollection of the Hawks game last year was that we were considerably the better side, but had a period of about 20 minutes where we basically let them walk it out of the guts for easy goals. (Saints game similar although was more of a tussle) It was weird.

We did start slow last year but the appeal with watching was that our game plan had obviously changed.

This year, I've yet to see us dominate a game for a significant period. But that could change.
We may not have dominated a game as consistently although conversely, we haven't been dominated for an entire game like Sydney did to us in round 2 last year either.

Other than Collingwood's final qtr in round 1, it's been relatively close albeit, with us being shown up in the fitness/desire department.

We may not have dominated a game as consistently although conversely, we haven't been dominated for an entire game like Sydney did to us in round 2 last year either.

Other than Collingwood's final qtr in round 1, it's been relatively close albeit, with us being shown up in the fitness/desire department.
Spot on.

I'll preface this post by saying I didn't see any of the match on Sunday as I was at the Grand Prix. But from the multiple messages I received, I'm in no hurry to watch it back.

In regards to our form, I can understand if there has been a drop off in hunger. Obviously many flag winning sides have gone through this and it's perfectly understandable considering you've achieved the ultimate in your sport. There isn't any higher you can go as a team. For us I think this goes a little further. This group had been written off repeatedly after failed finals series after finals series. They gave absolutely everything last year, both physically and mentally, and you only had to see comments from Danger in the Fox Footy doco to see that there was a chip on their shoulder in regards to the criticism, no matter how warranted it was. They were out to prove themselves right and everyone else wrong, and they did it.

You can easily see how much 2022 meant and how much they put in. It's nigh on impossible to replicate that in my opinion. And when you throw in the bodies getting older, it's not surprising if that hunger is just not there as much as it was last year. Even us fans have said that 2023 doesn't matter as much because of what we accomplished in 2022!

What I can't accept is what appears to be a chronically underdone physically group and a return to playing players hopelessly unfit (I was worried by the Hawkins inclusion in Round 1 and said as much). Obviously our injury list doesn't help, but when we managed players like clockwork last year, we have seemingly done a 180 on that this year. So many players look heavy with a need to lean up. I know we're behind other teams due to the flag, but we look to be a long way in regards to fitness and when you aren't fit you are constantly looking for ways to take shortcuts, something we never did last year.

The issue is how long will it take to get up to speed physically and how much damage to our season will be done in the interim? I'd have laughed if someone said we'd be the only winless side after Round 3 and even more so if they said that the Easter Monday game against a tanking Hawthorn would be season defining. It's only Round 4, but lose this and we kiss any hope of B2B goodbye.
Our skills were dreadful against Gold Coast but who looks heavy? Couldn’t hit a target 10 metres away.
So is that fitness? I don’t know. Not sure what you mean by chronically underdone physically? And who is hopelessly unfit? Maybe Hawkins? It surely wasn’t a fitness issue when Guthrie kicked it out on the full for no apparent reason? The games against pies and blues were going to be close calls. So 2-0 wouldn’t have been a shock would it? Every chance we are 3-3 going in to round 7.

I don't recall us being substantially better. I recall it being like the Suns game

Our skills were dreadful against Gold Coast but who looks heavy? Couldn’t hit a target 10 metres away.
So is that fitness? I don’t know. Not sure what you mean by chronically underdone physically? And who is hopelessly unfit? Maybe Hawkins? It surely wasn’t a fitness issue when Guthrie kicked it out on the full for no apparent reason? The games against pies and blues were going to be close calls. So 2-0 wouldn’t have been a shock would it? Every chance we are 3-3 going in to round 7.

Our skills have been deplorable.

Kicks and handballs are sailing high, short, wide and slow, and it's essentially from the first bounce......it doesn't just creep in when we are fatigued at 3/4 time or something.

Our skills have been deplorable.

Kicks and handballs are sailing high, short, wide and slow, and it's essentially from the first bounce......it doesn't just creep in when we are fatigued at 3/4 time or something.
Yep agree re the skills, although they weren’t that bad for much of the pies game.
Hard to explain the drop off in skills, especially in the GC game - maybe it is fitness? What do you think?

Didn't the game start with us not touching the ball for the opening 10 minutes or something.
Yeah I remember that part now. I wouldn't call not touching the ball until most fans are half way through their chips a substantially better performance

Yep agree re the skills, although they weren’t that bad for much of the pies game.
Hard to explain the drop off in skills, especially in the GC game - maybe it is fitness? What do you think?

I can understand skill errors becoming more prolific as a game wears on and bodies / minds tire, but against GC we were terrible from the get go.

There's probably an aspect of fitness to it, but focus and frame of mind must have something to do with it too.

I can understand skill errors becoming more prolific as a game wears on and bodies / minds tire, but against GC we were terrible from the get go.

There's probably an aspect of fitness to it, but focus and frame of mind must have something to do with it too.
Skills vs Pies weren't as bad. I feel like there's been a knock on effect of pre-game injuries, in-game injuries and then that Collingwood game unravelling where confidence/synergy has dropped off. I know to us it looks like players don't care, are lazy or not paying attention. But a collective drop in confidence when things go wrong is a big factor and it becomes contagious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As far as I’m concerned it’s quite simple;

Played out of our skins because of fear, loathing, and anger in 2022.

Mammoth effort for the oldest squad in history, running on adrenaline, frustration and a need to be recognized based on all those factors.

A ten year job finally done after so many near misses. 👍

Now we’re exhausted in any & every way you could use any adjective for. The boys are tired mentally and physically.

What we achieved last year has never been done before but we should’ve done it in 2013, that was a big miss.

Relax. We will still cause havoc in the top 8.

B2B..? Hmmmm..,

Skills vs Pies weren't as bad. I feel like there's been a knock on effect of pre-game injuries, in-game injuries and then that Collingwood game unravelling where confidence/synergy has dropped off. I know to us it looks like players don't care, are lazy or not paying attention. But a collective drop in confidence when things go wrong is a big factor and it becomes contagious.
Exactly the sentiments of Leigh Matthews on SEN tonight. Confidence crisis he reckons plus he kicked in the age factor (genius)and a bit of hawthorn comparison. Only one way to get that back, let’s ream their butts.

We lost a preseason game last year up at the Gold Coast and looked just as bad. Yes it was only a preseason game but it was similar in how we just looked a bit off and had terrible skills, maybe we’re no good in the heat and humidity.
We got lucky last year opening against a crap Essendon which gave us a lot of confidence. Blues game could’ve been like the Pies game last year if Bowes nails it in the last.
I don’t know, I’m optimistic we’ll bounce back.
Just win the next 4… 🙏🏽

Last edited:
As far as I’m concerned it’s quite simple;

Played out of our skins because of fear, loathing, and anger in 2022.

Mammoth effort for the oldest squad in history, running on adrenaline, frustration and a need to be recognized based on all those factors.

A ten year job finally done after so many near misses. 👍

Now we’re exhausted in any & every way you could use any adjective for. The boys are tired mentally and physically.

What we achieved last year has never been done before but we should’ve done it in 2013, that was a big miss.

Relax. We will still cause havoc in the top 8.

B2B..? Hmmmm..,
I’m loathe to think they’re mentally fatigued. What happened to the angst generated by Max missing out, the motivation they mentioned of getting back to another GF for him? For players that premiership feeling is so awesome they want to replicate it, not be the centre of derision for losing by narrow margins. They’ll be stressed trying to get their mojo back but I’m sure apathy is less a problem than injury and new players.

I’m loathe to think they’re mentally fatigued. What happened to the angst generated by Max missing out, the motivation they mentioned of getting back to another GF for him? For players that premiership feeling is so awesome they want to replicate it, not be the centre of derision for losing by narrow margins. They’ll be stressed trying to get their mojo back but I’m sure apathy is less a problem than injury and new players.
They’ve been wanting and needing this for 10 years. TEN YEARS.

A decade.

Let that sink in.

A decade.

Let that sink in.
True, and we’ve been waiting with them. That doesn’t automatically exclude wanting another one with different personnel as it stands, or at least avoiding bottoming out as we’ve managed to do. I just don’t think winning a GF saps motivation, just the opposite, ask Richmond who waited a shitload longer.

True, and we’ve been waiting with them. That doesn’t automatically exclude wanting another one with different personnel as it stands, or at least avoiding bottoming out as we’ve managed to do. I just don’t think winning a GF saps motivation, just the opposite, ask Richmond who waited a shitload longer.
Damn you’re harsh. 🤣

I haven’t been to preseason training but I’m sure they’re giving all they have, otherwise you should send an email to Chris Scott or bring it up at the next GM.

Otherwise go down to training and hit up Tomahawk, Danger, Jezza or Tommy Stewart face to face to get the answers you’re after. 👍

A decade.

Let that sink in.
Of the players we've fielded in 2023, contending together for Geelong:

10+ years Hawkins (not match fit, discount), Blicavs and C.Guthrie

Bews 9 years

Stanley 8 years

Danger 7 years

Tuohy, Stewart, MOC, Zuthrie (not integral until 2022) 6 years

Miers, Atkins, Rohan 4 years

Close 3 years

Cameron, Smith 2 years

Stengle, SDK 1 year

Duncan, Kolo, J.Henry yet to play so not relevant as of now.

No premiership for Holmes, O.Henry, Bruhn, Bowes or Sav.

I get that some of the above are older and played for other clubs before Geelong. My point is that not everyone who has played so far was on that 10 year finals slog with the Cats from 2012 onwards and thus sitting with their slippers and a cigar. There's 5 players at the club for 8 years or longer but then 8 players who have been there 4 years or shorter and 5 other players who've not won a premiership. A handful somewhere in between. Being out of form or not fit isn't the same as not trying. I have no doubt Tuohy for instance is trying, he is just playing terribly.

Damn you’re harsh. 🤣

I haven’t been to preseason training but I’m sure they’re giving all they have, otherwise you should send an email to Chris Scott or bring it up at the next GM.

Otherwise go down to training and hit up Tomahawk, Danger, Jezza or Tommy Stewart face to face to get the answers you’re after. 👍
Not much point, I think the club let their last psychologist go.
we need a faith healer. 😆

Bews 9 years

Stanley 8 years

Danger 7 years

Close 3 years

Cameron, Smith 2 years

Stengle, SDK 1 year

I get that some of the above are older and played for other clubs before Geelong. My point is that not everyone who has played so far was on that 10 year finals slog with the Cats from 2012 onwards and thus sitting with their slippers and a cigar. There's 5 players at the club for 8 years or longer but then 8 players who have been there 4 years or shorter and 5 other players who've not won a premiership. A handful somewhere in between. Being out of form or not fit isn't the same as not trying. I have no doubt Tuohy for instance is trying, he is just playing terribly.
Dude they come into a club with the stigma of finals failure. Surely you don’t need it explained?

Dude they come into a club with the stigma of finals failure. Surely you don’t need it explained?
If you're going to reply to a rational post analysing something and respond with lazy emotional rhetoric, I'm fine for the discussion to end at this point.

But if I was going to be incredibly lazy in the same way I could also say they came into a club with huge expectations to perform and contend year in, year out. At arguably the most professional team in the AFL.

Bews 9 years

Stanley 8 years

Danger 7 years

Close 3 years

Cameron, Smith 2 years

Stengle, SDK 1 year

Ah but they all wore slippers on mad Monday! Great summary.
just on Touhey,apart from freaking autocorrect 500 times, he must be feeling it. He started off smashing it against the suns, watching I said he wants to make amends. Then he fizzled with his mates down back.
keep the faith of the Irish though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back