Autopsy Cats lose to Suns by 19 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're going to reply to a rational post analysing something and respond with lazy emotional rhetoric, I'm fine for the discussion to end at this point.

But if I was going to be incredibly lazy in the same way I could also say they came into a club with huge expectations to perform and contend year in, year out. At arguably the most professional team in the AFL.
So it’s only 2 ways with you, no grey area?

If you're going to reply to a rational post analysing something and respond with lazy emotional rhetoric, I'm fine for the discussion to end at this point.

But if I was going to be incredibly lazy in the same way I could also say they came into a club with huge expectations to perform and contend year in, year out. At arguably the most professional team in the AFL.
Please dont be lazy. We have very few posters who bother to back their POV with data as it is.

So it’s only 2 ways with you, no grey area?
No I'm saying that 13 of our 22 have been at the club for 4 years or less and/or haven't won a premiership. That's more than half the side, a very solid chunk of the team. 5 others would fall into grizzled Geelong veterans who went through the finals failures of 2016-2021 so maybe you could say it applies to them.

Trying to integrate 5 new guys into the team, or preparation/form/fitness I see as bigger factors than everyone being mentally fatigued and kind of happy to phone things in this year. It's been a slow start. Don't get me wrong, if we are 3-7 then maybe I'll agree the players are happy to put a line through this season.

I’m loathe to think they’re mentally fatigued. What happened to the angst generated by Max missing out, the motivation they mentioned of getting back to another GF for him? For players that premiership feeling is so awesome they want to replicate it, not be the centre of derision for losing by narrow margins. They’ll be stressed trying to get their mojo back but I’m sure apathy is less a problem than injury and new players.
It's easier said that done.

WCE had 3 of their most popular clubman in Nic Nat, Gaff and Shepherd miss a premiership and were saying the exact same thing during their premiership off-season.

Like most goals, it's easier in words than it is execution.

It's pretty easy to say "We'll do it again for you" days after flogging the second best team in a GF. Confidence is sky high, you're euphoric and you can feel like everything you touch turns to gold.

It's once you've had months of celebrations, diet and training out of sorts, that you sit back in April and think "Hey, maybe this isn't as easy as we thought?"

FWIW, Max Gawn said similar at the end of 2021, mentioning how they'll be back to win it in front of the home crowd in 2022....most premiership team's say things alone those lines, and it rarely eventuates. We're not alone.

No I'm saying that 13 of our 22 have been at the club for 4 years or less and/or haven't won a premiership. That's more than half the side, a very solid chunk of the team. 5 others would fall into grizzled Geelong veterans who went through the finals failures of 2016-2021 so maybe you could say it applies to them.
Yes we’ve been trying youth for a decade and it finally clicked.

“Grizzled Veterans” is quite a stretch brother, im not sure anyone else on this board would call them that but sheesh. Hot take.

I’m not a regular here but have you been of the same mindset the entire time you’ve been a member of the club?
Trying to integrate 5 new guys into the team, or preparation/form/fitness I see as bigger factors than everyone being mentally fatigued and kind of happy to phone things in this year. It's been a slow start. Don't get me wrong, if we are 3-7 then maybe I'll agree the players are happy to put a line through this season.
Look man your interpretation that the guys are just “phoning it in” kinda stinks.
My comment had genuine reasons, yours is a sledge.

Yes we’ve been trying youth for a decade and it finally clicked.

“Grizzled Veterans” is quite a stretch brother, im not sure anyone else on this board would call them that but sheesh. Hot take.

I’m not a regular here but have you been of the same mindset the entire time you’ve been a member of the club?

Look man your interpretation that the guys are just “phoning it in” kinda stinks.
My comment had genuine reasons, yours is a sledge.
I've been saying the opposite of that.

Have I been of the same mindset of what? That we have a mix of youth, players in their prime and veterans giving it 100% each week? I understand it's not exactly a hot take but yes that has been my opinion.

Your initial comment was that everyone playing had been at it for a Cats flag for 10 years and so of course now they are happy/satisfied to the point where their performance will drop. I disagree and did the summary to show as much. I'm sorry that upsets you.

I've been saying the opposite of that.

Have I been of the same mindset of what? That we have a mix of youth, players in their prime and veterans giving it 100% each week? I understand it's not exactly a hot take but yes that has been my opinion.

Your initial comment was that everyone playing had been at it for a Cats flag for 10 years and so of course now they are happy/satisfied to the point where their performance will drop. I disagree and did the summary to show as much. I'm sorry that upsets you.
Blah, I didn’t say they were satisfied did I?
Surely not.

Read into it what you want but at least be fair enough to quote me on your accusations otherwise let it go like you said you would 3-4 posts ago.

They’ve been wanting and needing this for 10 years. TEN YEARS.

A decade.

Let that sink in.
Your original diagnosis was widespread mental fatigue after a joint 10 year chase at that flag. You even said "It's simple". What I covered with the spread of players and how long they'd been at the club disputed it being that easy to explain.

My contention is "it's complicated" and that the 10 year fatigue factor applies to a few but not for around 13-15 other guys who are also underperforming.

A lack of confidence or physical fitness isn't necessarily a result of extreme mental fatigue.

Your original diagnosis was widespread mental fatigue after a joint 10 year chase at that flag. You even said "It's simple". What I covered with the spread of players and how long they'd been at the club disputed it being that easy to explain.
You have taken a few choice words out of context from a much longer post.
My contention is "it's complicated" and that the 10 year fatigue factor applies to a few but not for around 13-15 other guys who are also underperforming.

A lack of confidence or physical fitness isn't necessarily a result of extreme mental fatigue.
You think this doesn’t have a filtering effect coming down this year the way it did going up last year?

I’m really struggling to get your understanding/ theory on the situation though, I’ll wait a few more games to continue this with you. Let’s say after R9. 👍

Everyone remember how much better we were supposed to be this year after the 'amazing' recruiting we did in the offseason lol... Shows how clueless the majority are.

Everyone remember how much better we were supposed to be this year after the 'amazing' recruiting we did in the offseason lol... Shows how clueless the majority are.

Outside of Bowes I don't think anyone expected the newbies to be solid best 22 this year- was more expected to help in a year or two as they matured and older players retired. Still a fantastic trade period regardless of results so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're playing like s**t. There's no doubt about it. And it's hard to see how we turn it around.

In a desperate attempt to find dinner positives I thought I'd take a look at early last year. Things are a bit different this year being 0-3 than last year where we managed to sneak some wins rather than losses (pies and lions). And eventually those losses matter if we can't make the top 4.

But are we playing any worse than early last year? Are any of our losses this year as bad as losing to the Hawks or Freo in Geelong last year?

Take a look at the review threads to see if anyone saw the turnaround coming last year:

Positives - we turned around similarly s**t form last year.

Negatives - we've already had 3 losses and we played like s**t for most of the first 7 weeks last year (we were ok in the loss against the saints I thought). And there are absolutely no guarantees we'll turn it around this year

The next 2 weeks tell everything

Mathematically 0-3 so alot panic - but Geel at this stage 1 bad loss to the G/Coast

Ess beat Haw in RD 1 by 10 goals at the MCG and i still dont think the Dons are much good - who knows Geel might have landslide victories in the next 2 weeks

The old Maths 1 and 2 - it doesnt look flash at the moment - but at the end of round 5 - ( decent statistical mean average ) i think that is when you can make a proper judgement

That match was Phonkers Bonkers.

Time to get a win to feel alive again. It's either that, or need to get on my motorcycle. LOL

p.s. I wonder if Scratcher Neale likes Phonk music. It's the best.

Mathematically 0-3 so alot panic - but Geel at this stage 1 bad loss to the G/Coast

Ess beat Haw in RD 1 by 10 goals at the MCG and i still dont think the Dons are much good - who knows Geel might have landslide victories in the next 2 weeks

The old Maths 1 and 2 - it doesnt look flash at the moment - but at the end of round 5 - ( decent statistical mean average ) i think that is when you can make a proper judgement
You're spot on.

5 games in is the very earliest you can make a judgement, each team having played around 1/3 of the comp. We'll be behind the 8 ball no matter what but if we are 2-3 we probably will be only a game behind some top 4 contenders.

Round 9/10 is better which from interviews is where players have indicated their first marker is. Of course as fans we're impatient so nobody wants to hear that but it wouldn't be totally surprising if we are within a game or two of where we were last year at round 10, which was 6-4 or something in 2022. With about 50% of matches from that point on played in Geelong.

They'll tell everything if we don't win both games. But they won't necessarily reveal all that much if we do. We could beat these two teams (who are both surely destined to finish in the bottom 8) and still be not much chop ourselves in the long run.

But I do entirely agree that if we drop either match, our prospects of contending in 2023 basically collapse to zero immediately.

They'll tell everything if we don't win both games. But they won't necessarily reveal all that much if we do. We could beat these two teams (who are both surely destined to finish in the bottom 8) and still be not much chop ourselves in the long run.

But I do entirely agree that if we drop either match, our prospects of contending in 2023 basically collapse to zero immediately.
It's interesting comparing things to last year. I don't think there was a win that told us much until the winning streak. Which makes the whole "scrape to at least 4-5 or 5-4 by round 9 and then make a charge" concept somewhat palatable.

The Pies comeback in 2022 was great, in some ways if we converted some last quarter goals in the Blues game this season then the game could've been equivalent. The performance however probably wasn't miles away from that Blues game if you consider the absentees. We probably played as well against Brisbane in 2022 as we did Collingwood 2023, but in the latter were playing a better side away from home where we simply didn't have the legs (especially after the 3 in-game injuries) to run it out. The Gold Coast game this year resembled the Hawthorn game last year as far as how disappointing it was against a team we should have beaten. The Sydney game we were bad. The Freo game at Geelong we were bad. The St Kilda game we started well but it ended up being a poor performance.

By round 9 we had taken care of 3 easy beats (Essendon, GWS, North), held off a decent side at Geelong and had that lucky/miraculous comeback against the Pies. Then 4 pretty terrible performances in losses. With, can I emphasise, a much, much lighter injury list.

It would not surprise me at all if our form line by round 9 this season reads like that except we didn't win our late comeback match (Carlton this year) and we had a lot of players picking up knocks early on. Perspective helps.

FWIW I still think we're every chance to be 7-5 heading into the bye.

Should win the next 2, should win our GMHBA games even the tough Sydney one and with fitness/form building we should take two from Bulldogs @ Marvel, Essendon @ MCG, Tigers @ MCG and Freo @ Optus. With 6 of the last 11 down at Geelong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back