Autopsy Cats lose to Suns by 64 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope we readopt a philosophy of building cohesion and stop resting/managing players. I hate it. It ruins the chemistry and consistency between the playing group that actually takes the field each week.
Kind of cuts both ways though. We cook the old blokes they'll fall apart.

I do think they'll slow down on resting in the back half of the season though

You must be joking- 17-3 is unheard of.
Confused our players early and put them at a psychological disadvantage.
No one is using that pathetic and biased display as the reason we lost, but come on, it mattered, especially early.
I'm going to torture myself with a few replays and count up what would have been fair calls, and non calls.
698CAFA6-602F-41A6-99E3-99943442CED7.jpeg 2BA19DDB-A211-4D19-8C26-AF16BDD313D2.jpeg 23F1CC59-CE75-4DC0-A97C-DF2CAF2C96B3.jpeg 2BE6C391-EB23-464A-A5AF-058D4F34AAE3.jpeg 67C306A1-39A3-4F78-B38A-8102A88D6B04.jpeg 58424A4C-147E-4031-8B80-FC788A37D992.jpeg 46096737-0B6D-4736-ACC4-B6B39178F522.jpeg BBD9D3E2-55B0-4ACB-84A5-C53D89CF707A.jpeg

not as related but I love this quote from sliding doors

"The Tigers wanted to be Geelong in building a platform for sustained high-end ladder finishes. They quickly ended up as Hawthorn."
:joycat: :joycat: :joycat:

Pop Tv Burn GIF by Schitt's Creek

Would rotate between Neale and Rohan depending on match ups. Henry doesn't get dropped, kicks too many goals, plus means theres times we rest Ranga Ottens and put Neale in the ruck to give him a breather.

Or if Cameron is up the field have him take the "spot" of a winger, and have the forwards be Henry/Neale/Hawkins. There are plenty of ways to work it.

🧡 🧡 🧡

1716086596917.png

I hope we readopt a philosophy of building cohesion and stop resting/managing players. I hate it. It ruins the chemistry and consistency between the playing group that actually takes the field each week.
It has won us two flags.

Heavily managing playing time is the norm in most other sports, and frankly if we didn’t do it, we would have a lot of younger players moving for opportunity.

Quite a lopsided count. How many directly resulted in goals?

Going by the first half, and the amount of frees from the centre that resulted in goals 2/3 disposals later, I'd say a lot.
Also goals kicked from blatant non-calls, and goals that SHOULD have been kicked by us, if not for blatant non-calls...
I'd suggest that although it wouldn't be 10 goals, it wouldn't be lower than 5 or 6.

To be fair last year did you see the delivery he was getting most games? Its not like what Hawkins was getting in the VFL in 2007 when our ressies had ridiculous depth.
I think this is his 4th year at the club. Has ability shown in glimpses that can give you a rose-colored glasses perspective. A tease for mine.

As I suggested, maybe a spell in the back half might give him some confidence. Even be his spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this is his 4th year at the club. Has ability shown in glimpses that can give you a rose-colored glasses perspective. A tease for mine.

As I suggested, maybe a spell in the back half might give him some confidence. Even be his spot.
Are you suggesting to play Neale in the back half, out of position? As Scott has done in the past? To learn his craft, in addition to improving confidence?

It's a practice that reflects the nature of the playing group.

We have many older players who can't handle the load of a full season without burning out. Meanwhile, we have plenty of younger players who aren't ready for a full season yet either.

Are you suggesting to play Neale in the back half, out of position? As Scott has done in the past? To learn his craft, in addition to improving confidence?
Must confess I've not seen him given a run of games in the back half. How many?

He's not making a huge impact as a forward as we speak. He's not a ruckman, so seeing whether he has the flexibility to operate in the back half for a string of games would do no harm as I see it.

Regarding the earlier comment about Neale not getting good delivery in the VFL. I was just listening to Brereton during the break in the Hawks v Port game and he made the point as a forward you're lucky to get good service once in six games. You have to learn to fight for possession or at least halve contests.

But we need a big forward who can get to contests, crash packs and bring the ball to ground. This is where Neale excites me. We haven't had someone like that for years. Tomahawk did it in his younger years, Rohan does it a bit.

Must confess I've not seen him given a run of games in the back half. How many?

He's not making a huge impact as a forward as we speak. He's not a ruckman, so seeing whether he has the flexibility to operate in the back half for a string of games would do no harm as I see it.

Regarding the earlier comment about Neale not getting good delivery in the VFL. I was just listening to Brereton during the break in the Hawks v Port game and he made the point as a forward you're lucky to get good service once in six games. You have to learn to fight for possession or at least halve contests.
That may be so still, he joined Geelong as an athlete + as others said in this thread, spent first two years learning about the game. Also, young, tall KPPs take time to develop. Although, no idea of his age + experience prior to joining us. I do understand your point, yet add, he needs time.

That may be so still, he joined Geelong as an athlete + as others said in this thread, spent first two years learning about the game. Also, young, tall KPPs take time to develop. Although, no idea of his age + experience prior to joining us. I do understand your point, yet add, he needs time.
Methinks you're suffering from a touch of the "Gryan's" re Neale, Kitty.:)

As I said earlier, he was drafted in 2020. If we took your view that that when we recruit a player for 'X' role that's it we wouldn't have been competitive for as long as we have. There a quite a few in our present team who aren't playing the role they were when spotted. And I give you Esava as one playing elsewhere on a handy contract who flourished when moved to the back half. CS is all about flexibility.

There's nothing wrong with seeing a given player through rose-colored glasses. Just glad the coach is a little more open-minded.

Wow! Junk time evened up ? Imagine if we lost centre clearances….. lucky Wittsy wasn’t in…..
Anderson 42, Rowell 35…. Felt like a midfield shellacking

Not junk time:

Q1: GEE 5 - GCS 3
Q2: GEE 3 - GCS 6
Q3: GEE 4 - GCS 4
Q4: GEE 6 - GCS 5

Conway had 8 of our 18. We also won the total clearance count 47-43, and contested possessions 158-156.

We got belted in inside 50s (56-73), and marks inside 50 (5-16).

But we need a big forward who can get to contests, crash packs and bring the ball to ground. This is where Neale excites me. We haven't had someone like that for years. Tomahawk did it in his younger years, Rohan does it a bit.
The problem is he is non competitive. I think it is just his nature. You cannot teach it, it is either there or it is not. He might show it for 1 or 2 efforts but then it disappears. I would not use him as a fill in ruck. If you watch him he watches the opposition player not the ball. Accordingly he is not likely to win many hit outs and is more likely to give away a free kick.

I haven't seen that at all from Neale. He seems like more of a mobile lead up player, which is still useful. But I don't see that defensive pressuring and pack crashing or intercept-stopping from him (so far). I'd love it if he really made that a focus in the short term to get as many balls as possible to ground for our smalls.

I haven't seen that at all from Neale. He seems like more of a mobile lead up player, which is still useful. But I don't see that defensive pressuring and pack crashing or intercept-stopping from him (so far). I'd love it if he really made that a focus in the short term to get as many balls as possible to ground for our smalls.
Give him a chance and you will see it. What you won't see is Neale standing flat-footed and half-heartedly raising an arm to the incoming ball and then looking incredulous when his opponent standing right next to him takes an uncontested mark.

Give him a chance and you will see it. What you won't see is Neale standing flat-footed and half-heartedly raising an arm to the incoming ball and then looking incredulous when his opponent standing right next to him takes an uncontested mark.
Yeah I haven't ruled it out at all, it's merely in my wish list when I am thinking "what do I want to see this kid working on". Because he has athletic traits on his side and is surely fit. If he starts halving a lot of aerial balls he becomes an asset even without his primary lead-mark-goal work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back