News Cats raid AFL for new football department role

Remove this Banner Ad

You are an imbecile. At least I have more guts to ring up a radio station than sitting behind a keyboard and blogging on Big Footy and being a so called imbecile MORON WHO HAS zero intelligence and is drinking beer and soft drink whilst polishing your fat stomach and man boobs. Why don't you look at a mirror and see how fat and ugly you are.

If I am banned on Big footy, well I am banned.
This is such a good post. My fave part is talking about having the guts to ring up a radio station.... from a person who sits behind a pseudonym everywhere he posts or calls :D

Solid melt 7.5/10

This is such a good post. My fave part is talking about having the guts to ring up a radio station.... from a person who sits behind a pseudonym everywhere he posts or calls :D

Solid melt 7.5/10
I think you underrate the imagery of someone polishing their man boobs

https://www.sen.com.au/programs/crunch-time/

Based on Cookie comments here, it looks as though SH and Greeves departure will take a year or so to replace fully. Tehy have interim people in place but both were in line for CEO position.

And thats probably reasonable. Huddo joked that Cookie might need another 10 years in the CEO gig - and he killed that pretty fast.

My guess is Cookie might have 1-2 years at the modt left in him - these next appointments could be very crucial in the GFC FO going forward.

UP to now, Cookie has been the anchor and brought those around him up. With his time slight, there needs to be some good picks now.

GO Catters

You are an imbecile. At least I have more guts to ring up a radio station than sitting behind a keyboard and blogging on Big Footy and being a so called imbecile MORON WHO HAS zero intelligence and is drinking beer and soft drink whilst polishing your fat stomach and man boobs. Why don't you look at a mirror and see how fat and ugly you are.

What a ridiculous rant. Hey, mate, if we checked out the LinkedIn profile of 'The Governer' what are we likely to find? Oh, that's right, LinkedIn is for real profiles, not people with pseudonyms who throw shots from the cheap seats.

Seriously, what are your qualifications? I could say with complete confidence that you'd be neither an academic, nor someone with any degree of technical ability if your unhinged rants are anything to go by.

The reality is that the Geelong Football Club is a highly successful and professionally run organisation. It isn't in the business of appointmenting people into roles which are neither required, nor whom lack the requisite qualifications to satisfy the selection criteria for that role.

If you had any understanding of how a professional organisation was run, especially large ones which require a multi-faceted, high level technical ability to achieve goals, you wouldn't be questioning for a second the appointment of an "academic" with a proven ability to relate to those whom directly affect the technical abilities of the individuals most important to the organisation reaching its strategic objectives.

I don't know the individual, and I certainly haven't read his LinkedIn profile so I'm not as in the loop as you. However, I could have a stab in the dark and say that the club had perhaps identified a weakness in its process aligning operational and departmental objectives and this appointment - and more pertinent being the individual whom has been appointed - will be key to bridging any such gap.

Personally, I'm very excited about our club having poached a key member of staff at AFL House; one whom has a seemingly strong grasp of both policy and procedures within a professional AFL coaching environment combined with an understanding on a technical level that which is required for a coach to be successful.

You can have the best technical people at the club, steering the players well at the coal face. But, you also need strong leadership in the background, including individuals who are trained professionals when it comes to disseminating facts and delivering their findings to the relevant stakeholders on a relatable level.

Michael Poulton seems like the perfect aquisition in this sense and I wish him every success in this newly created role.

Last edited:

The odd times you are heard on radio stations make many of us cringe and embarrassed because you do not represent what we believe. But it takes all sorts to support a team, and you are to commended for making the effort and a difference. Your passion is unquestioned.

Last edited:
Well, I disagree. Look at Neil Balme. He is the man with the midas touch. He coached Norwood and Woodville-West Torrens in the 1980s and 1990-1992. He coached Melbourne; reinvented himself and he became a Football operations manager a 3 AFL clubs.

A microscope on the coach's box is not needed from an academic who has not coached at AFL level. Michael Poulton oversaw the development of the AFL coaching accreditation programme. He is basically a university academic if you look at his Linkedin profile!!
I doubt that GFC employed him based on his Linkedin profile.
And you glossed over Balmey's coaching record- he "reinvented" himself.
He could be an opportunist.
What happened at Collingwood?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems to be an academic having previously held university roles including as a lecturer. That’s perhaps what Robbo means by a “square peg in a round hole,” might have been too theoretical and not practical enough, but that’s just my guess.

Seems to be an academic having previously held university roles including as a lecturer. That’s perhaps what Robbo means by a “square peg in a round hole,” might have been too theoretical and not practical enough, but that’s just my guess.
Square pegs in round holes means poor recruitment process.

The odd times you are heard on radio stations make many of us cringe and embarrassed because you do not represent what we believe. But it takes all sorts to support a team, and you are to commended for making the effort and a difference. Your passion is unquestioned.
Thought of politics Vdubs. Something for everyone there.:)

I am not sure of this appointment. Its kind of like appointing someone from a Head Office function and deploying them in the real functions of an organisation. I might be wrong, but I am not sure about this. Seems a bit academic as said above.

Look what I wrote above when he was appointed... Why I thought this:

Just reminds of Major Corporations, when you send a staff member from the Head office function (Eg AFL) and into the Business role (Eg Club level), and they just don't cut the mustard, as they either don't have the commercial expertise, or a not "doers", or their "not on a transition path with adequate training and milestone management".

Thought of politics Vdubs. Something for everyone there.:)
I'm not a believer but get told frequently enough- it's because I am a Libran.
Have to be "balanced".
All I know is I am indecisive.

Look what I wrote above when he was appointed... Why I thought this:

Just reminds of Major Corporations, when you send a staff member from the Head office function (Eg AFL) and into the Business role (Eg Club level), and they just don't cut the mustard, as they either don't have the commercial expertise, or a not "doers", or their "not on a transition path with adequate training and milestone management".
So poor assessment of the role and then poor recruitment

https://www.sen.com.au/programs/crunch-time/

Based on Cookie comments here, it looks as though SH and Greeves departure will take a year or so to replace fully. Tehy have interim people in place but both were in line for CEO position.

And thats probably reasonable. Huddo joked that Cookie might need another 10 years in the CEO gig - and he killed that pretty fast.

My guess is Cookie might have 1-2 years at the modt left in him - these next appointments could be very crucial in the GFC FO going forward.

UP to now, Cookie has been the anchor and brought those around him up. With his time slight, there needs to be some good picks now.

GO Catters
Perhaps time for him to go now. There seems to be no succession plan- a term and process beloved by the management gurus- so that people need to leave to further their careers. And it must be difficult to juggle a full time role- CEO at GFC- with a part time -role Chair Barwon Health.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back