Review Cats rout North by 62 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miers definitely played higher today.

I guess the trade off is Smith has that raking left foot which can really break the lines. Miers more likely to find that short target.
That is exactly the trade off. Well put.

To me I would take the smart link up as opposed to metre gained with a bomb? But they both have there place so an interesting xhouce

Duncans best game of the year, multiple excellent passes throughout.

Bowes best game of the year. Another solid outing from Braun.

Can't really get a great read overall given the quality of the game but we did all that could be expected.

favorite part of the game was Oisin bombing it out on the fall in the front pocket from the wing- not criticizing it, more excited because the ball never went more than 10 meters up in the air and looks to have carried a good 60-70 meters at high velocity. Obviously his general game awareness is basically non-existent but has an amazing toolset assuming he can get his head around the chaos.
Agree that a few players got a chance to play their best game of the year. To add confidence. I think stengle and o Henry also would have got huge confidence boost.

The open question is whether it translates to tougher games. We will have the answer soon

All i am goig to say is thankfully no injuries.

Miers has to have the BnF all sown up at this point and could probably take the rest of the year off and still win it.

Bog from him today and by far our best player this year.
Not sure it's sowed up, but isn't it a credit to the kid who was a whipping boy every second game for the last few years.

I have to also note a few who called out that Atkins needed to step up in the guts. Did ok?

No logic in it, you should be running the selection committee haha you’re upset knevitt wasn’t selected. I just don’t think it’s as big an issue people are making it out to be. Knevitt will get more opportunities and so will Oisin. It’s an Irish conspiracy!

Did you hear? the MC broke some soda bread and said, let's put all the Shamrocks in for the occasion.
Who cares about professionalism, they can Riverdance across the midfield and we'll make the front pages in County Mayo.
Actually a personal and cultural insult- imagine the outcry if a similar attitude prevailed in Naidoc week.

At one point didn't we have Stewart and other non mids? And Stewart won that clearance.
Bruhn, Atkins and Stanley have been in the middle a few times since Stanley came back from injury.
Atkins is actually 26th in the league for clearances. I suspect he’s even more underrated externally than he is here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Atkins is actually 26th in the league for clearances. I suspect he’s even more underrated externally than he is here.
I mean, Atkins was really good today, and was good against North both times last year, maybe his issue is his name doesn't abbreviate into something adorable like LDU.

Gotta admit, I never imagined a timeline where Gryan Miers would be accumulating and cracking 30 disposals.

Good on the young lad. He's making himself a vital piece of the puzzle.

This is the exact same way Hawk has played for the last decade including during multiple AA seasons, a Coleman season and a premiership year?
I am fully aware of his cv. As I said it's not a personal attack on him, it's just something the team is lacking. When we run and carry from d50 it's fine because we get movement ahead of the ball which opens up the ground. The problem is when we play slow and just kick down the line, we just get out marked time and time again. The final against Port Adelaide and Aliir Aliir in particular highlighted the issue. That's why it's disappointing that Ratagolea didn't make it as a forward as he should have been able to fix this issue. I'm still hopeful Neale could turn out to be the player we need who will actually compete in pack marking situations in the next few years. Otherwise just try and avoid playing slow and kicking the ball down the line to Hawkins.

I don’t think it’s criticism of Oisin, perhaps criticism of the MC for selecting him when he is not ready to be comfortable at this level, blind Freddie can see that he’s not.
I wonder, would Nick Daicos walk into Mayo GAA first grade team without considerable experience at the lower level?
No player in their 3rd game is comfortable at the level. If that's your criteria you're never selecting a debutant. Dempsey looked much further off the pace than Mullin. Why are we putting extra expectations on Mullin that we don't put on other inexperienced kids?

Good spunk & zest in the first quarter that tapered off after qtr time. As kingy said it was a fill ya boots type of game …. Now for more sterner tests.. it’s good Scott has come out and said ‘we are the danger’ and ‘we know already that our best is good enough’… I like these non passive statements… run in for the cup has started!!!

Loving Scott in the post game pressers recently. Journo asks him whether there was much talk about being still in finals contention around this game.
Scott (with wtf expression on face): "Still in..??? Do I need to talk about that? Hope not. No. I mean seriously.. We are very confident that if we play our best footy.. we're the danger.". Turns to Reg as if to say, seriously this is how the media rates our side this year - making up the numbers...
I know there are plenty on here who think we're not the side we were last year, but listening to anyone within the club and there is just an incredible confidence that we can, not just "give it shake", but simply get it done when it matters.
Yeah good question actually … 8-1-7 and sterner tests to come so it’s a reasonable question. Scott’s reaction was if we were 12-4 and in the top 4 or something.. I mean get the wins and you won’t be asked those questions Mr. Scott!

The "our best is good enough etc etc " line is a favourite of coaches and players of teams remotely in contention. Some here think it inspires confidence in the players - and maybe the fans - and perhaps it does. Personally I think we've been hearing it too much from our coach and players this season; ultimately actions are going to speak louder than words.

At this point I'll be happy of our best is good enough to win next week - to say which, i will admit, invokes another cliche: we're just taking it one week at a time.

No player in their 3rd game is comfortable at the level. If that's your criteria you're never selecting a debutant. Dempsey looked much further off the pace than Mullin. Why are we putting extra expectations on Mullin that we don't put on other inexperienced kids?
I have zero expectation, he has played this game what, 10 times competitively.
He is way behind the two you mention as they have some degree of familiarity with the game, it’s not his fault, he needs time at a lower level to find his way and build confidence.

As for the game, the best thing was our pressure. Curiously the players were finding it so easy to get a kick in the second quarter that they played sloppy football going forward.

I have zero expectation, he has played this game what, 10 times competitively.
He is way behind the two you mention as they have some degree of familiarity with the game, it’s not his fault, he needs time at a lower level to find his way and build confidence.
Sorry if you think he's "way behind" Dempsey then you were watching a very different game to me.

I love Dempsey but he's shown very little at AFL level this year in his chances. Mullin looks like an ok small defender who is excellent in the contest but is a bit lost in transition.

In an emergency situation I would back Mullin to do a job in a final if needed over Dempsey. Obviously neither are in our best 22 but if we need players 25-27 Mullin will come in first.

The "our best is good enough etc etc " line is a favourite of coaches and players of teams remotely in contention. Some here think it inspires confidence in the players - and maybe the fans - and perhaps it does. Personally I think we've been hearing it too much from our coach and players this season; ultimately actions are going to speak louder than words.

At this point I'll be happy of our best is good enough to win next week - to say which, i will admit, invokes another cliche: we're just taking it one week at a time.
That’s right! But it’s out there… so get the win and no excuses! It’s time that actions speak louder than words time! Better than those stupid comments about not being bothered about losing…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back