Review Cats rout North by 62 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bowes hasn't played a bad game this year. Should be a lock in the 22 for mine.

He did have a few quiet games early in the season & he didn't have the best impact in 2 of his 3 games as sub - he's looks more suited in the starting 22

Sunday was definitely his best game in the hoops - I know he won't necessarily give us that same return each week, but more games like that and he'll keep his spot

Right, ...great having him on the fringe and able to play like he did last week and against better opposition as well....
We have to find the smartest way to use our players.

I know some folks want Holmes back as a pure winger, a role he has excelled in the most. But this year with our midfield set up I think we need his burst of pace from stoppages as well to compliment the Bruhn/Atkins/Blicavs types (Dangerfield despite his old age is the other player with this role).

Smith, Duncan and Tuohy all spend around 85% time on ground, Holmes is more like 75%. If we have Bowes on a back flank, it releases a few other players via domino effect. I think Duncan's time as a quarterback is done and Tuohy shouldn't be defending all game either when we have O'Connor/Zuthrie types coming through there.

Here's the type of allocation I'd like to see:

Duncan 45% HFF, 40% wing
Tuohy 45% HBF, 40% wing
Smith 85% wing
Holmes 35% wing, 40% centre

He did have a few quiet games early in the season & he didn't have the best impact in 2 of his 3 games as sub - he's looks more suited in the starting 22

Sunday was definitely his best game in the hoops - I know he won't necessarily give us that same return each week, but more games like that and he'll keep his spot
His other clear standout game was vs Carlton and also from a back flank. I agree that the sub role doesn't suit him. He's either in or out and it should mostly be as a clean ball user on transition from defence.

I have been banging on about this all year - not just for Dempsey but all the fringe players that come in as subs. It doesn’t work and has the risk of being a backward step for them.

By definition they are being played as sub as a “reward” for stepping up in VFL/Training - so that is a confidence booster for them. But when you look at the facts none of them (Dempsey, Knevitt, Simpson, Bowes, others) have had an impact at all as sub. The only two that had a real impact with Rohan and O Henry with Tanner and maybe one other who came on early.

Coming on as a role player as tactical sub when the game has lost its intensity (most of the time) isn’t helpful. I have started watching this as a special interest and most of the time they run around as a forward or wing or flanker and don’t get the ball. It is just too hard to play that role as an inexperienced player.

Dempsey has been sub 3 of his 4 games this year and his best game by far was the one he wasn’t sub (even though he was subbed off in the end - he shouldnt have been as he showed he could impact including 9 possessions in a qtr and 2 shots on goal). The other 3 times he has played sub and had no impact - and I worry it hurts his confidence (we don’t want him believing he is good at VFL and not at AFL).

Knevitt made little impact as sub but after getting a chance (through injury) to string a handful of full games together he looked liked he belonged. Same as Bowes - poor as sub but good in the 22.

I personally think (FWIIW) that they should only play impact players (Rohan, O Henry) or experienced players as sub. Last weekend for example when they knew they wanted to manage Blitz maybe he could have been sub and come on with 1 1/2 qtr to go as his “rest” for the week. He could come on for a youngster if they need him or give another older player a rest.

Anyway I think now that will be Dempsey’s last chance unless injury to a forward…and I am not convinced Knevitt will get another change given we have Jezza, Smith, Kolo available and I reckon the give Menegola another shot? So I wish them well in the VFL and hope they continue to try to dominate and force their way into the 22 in 24
I would like them to use the sub to manage experienced player minutes. Eg. Make Smith/Tuohy/Duncan the sub. If they get activated early then they can have the next week off if need be.

Players like Dempsey and Knevitt need full minutes at one level or the other.

His other clear standout game was vs Carlton and also from a back flank. I agree that the sub role doesn't suit him. He's either in or out and it should mostly be as a clean ball user on transition from defence.

He was pretty quiet against GC, but I reckon if you pulled the data from a players first game with their new team versus their old team, it's either the best game they've ever played or it's the quieter side & something they won't add to the highlights reel. Yes there'll be those who reliable & fall in the middle, but often those somewhat at the extreme seem to be what we remember

Agreed. Looks like Bowes at half back and Duncan half forward/pushing up to wing is the right set up and also one I've wanted to see for a while.
Bowes is a quality half back and not much chop anywhere else, sooner they accept that the better, give him time and space coming out of defence and he can be a real weapon.

I would like them to use the sub to manage experienced player minutes. Eg. Make Smith/Tuohy/Duncan the sub. If they get activated early then they can have the next week off if need be.

Players like Dempsey and Knevitt need full minutes at one level or the other.
And those senior players will not feel like they have to perform brilliantly to be noticed, unlike the new guys.

And those senior players will not feel like they have to perform brilliantly to be noticed, unlike the new guys.
We really dont have the luxury to piss fart around by putting important players as subs, really don't understand why people keep suggesting that, our season is literally on the line in coming weeks we need the best 22 on the field.

We really dont have the luxury to piss fart around by putting important players as subs, really don't understand why people keep suggesting that, our season is literally on the line in coming weeks we need the best 22 on the field.

It's been suggested as as means of player management as much as anything else

If the player is in a position to play 4 quarters if required, but the coaches & player feel they'd also benefit from a reduced workload in that particular week, then they could well be an ideal sub candidate

If the player is genuinely in a position of needing a week off, then yes you prioritise that, but if it's more about managing workload across a period of time, then rotating veterans in the sub role could be an option

These are the same players we are “piss farting around” by “managing” completely out of the team for a week at a time. How is that more affordable?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've said all year that Atkins in raging bull mode is an important factor for us. He can't seem to do it every game but besides two very bad games (Freo and Port...where everyone struggled) he's been really good since round 8.

The key question is can Atkins, Blicavs, Holmes and Bruhn all fire at once - lead by Dangerfield? If they can I still believe our midfield group can be more than competitive. For this reason and that, it just hasn't all come together yet for that group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back