goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
Ok, you've won me over. A hypothetical TV, radio and newspaper shunning, no other sport following, never leaving Geelong, never using the internet person might just have their life saved by this...

...if they didn't already have the most boring life not worth living to begin with.

My previous posts in this thread point out the position I was advocating. Which is clearly different from the caricature you have constructed here for your own rhetorical purposes.

I would have thought it was more than enough to say you respectfully disagree with my view rather than resort to intentional misrepresentation and mockery.

My previous posts in this thread point out the position I was advocating. Which is clearly different from the caricature you have constructed here for your own rhetorical purposes.

I would have thought it was more than enough to say you respectfully disagree with my view rather than resort to intentional misrepresentation and mockery.
Harden up.

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
Harden up.

Simply mocking and misrepresenting people when you disagree with them (and then imploring them to 'harden up' when they respond to your jibes) is an ordinary way to engage with alternative opinions around here.

And please save yourself the trouble of another 'harden up' to follow the first one.

I get the message, loud and clear.

Sports books pale into insignificance compared to pokies, which we've made a lot of money on for quite a while.

I've heard they've pledged to kick their own pokie addiction, but yeah whatever.
Agree. And the day the last one is gone I'll applaud them for it.

It's actually what I said in the very first place.

See post #27 of this thread.
And yet you coming back for more.

You can agree to disagree by walking away. I don't have to. I'll keep arguing if you keep showing up.

Empty symbolistic fluff from the Geelong Football Club. :)

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I'll be polite, here.
You can't be effing serious.
I've made it perfectly clear that I'm not concerned, I merely think it's tokenistic bs on the part of the club.
Bah humbug! Don't understand the difference between General Revenue and income generated through gambling sponsorship? You can look it up.

Well Scrooge perhaps it is also tokenism for sports to stop tobacco advertising and cut ties to those industries, it may not solve the health problems of smoking but the sporting authorities are at least not benefiting from it. Same applies to gambling and alcohol. I like many here welcome the decision.

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
And yet you coming back for more.

You can agree to disagree by walking away. I don't have to. I'll keep arguing if you keep showing up.

Empty symbolistic fluff from the Geelong Football Club. :)
You just claimed you will applaud them when they get rid of the pokies which they have already done and yet it is "symbolistic fluff"! Want to have it both ways apparently.

You just claimed you will applaud them when they get rid of the pokies which they have already done and yet it is "symbolistic fluff"! Want to have it both ways apparently.
Read back. I've explained why the two are different.

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Well your link is to a pay site so I cannot access it, however the article at the beginning of this thread states;
"THE Geelong Cats have pledged to say no to gambling sponsorship, turning away lucrative future deals for the sake of their most vulnerable fans.
Simonds Stadium is already a pokies-free zone, and the club has now promised to forego sponsorship from betting companies, in an effort to battle the normalisation of sports betting and to protect their young supporters from addiction.
Geelong Football Club chief executive Brian Cook joined State Gaming and Liquor Regulation Minister Marlene Kairouz and Victorian Responsible Gambling Foundation chief executive Louise Glanville at the Cats’ home ground Thursday afternoon to sign the pledge.
Mr Cook said the club would “continue to work toward a gambling-free environment”.

Perhaps in your desire to see the total elimination of our connections to this pernicious exploitation you are dissatisfied with this and expect the immediate cessation of any gambling association. I suggest it is a good step in the right direction and be patient.

Well your link is to a pay site so I cannot access it, however the article at the beginning of this thread states;
"THE Geelong Cats have pledged to say no to gambling sponsorship, turning away lucrative future deals for the sake of their most vulnerable fans.
Simonds Stadium is already a pokies-free zone, and the club has now promised to forego sponsorship from betting companies, in an effort to battle the normalisation of sports betting and to protect their young supporters from addiction.
Geelong Football Club chief executive Brian Cook joined State Gaming and Liquor Regulation Minister Marlene Kairouz and Victorian Responsible Gambling Foundation chief executive Louise Glanville at the Cats’ home ground Thursday afternoon to sign the pledge.
Mr Cook said the club would “continue to work toward a gambling-free environment”.

Perhaps in your desire to see the total elimination of our connections to this pernicious exploitation you are dissatisfied with this and expect the immediate cessation of any gambling association. I suggest it is a good step in the right direction and be patient.
So you were wrong. Apology accepted.

OK, just crap then.;)
Well no, not really, but your use of the word is interesting. We've become so use to empty, symbolic gestures that we assume any attempt to solve a problem that is incremental not absolute must actually be cynical PR.

Foregoing material advantage by boycotting something is the exact opposite of 'tokenistic', by definition.
I disagree. I think it's tokenistic because it won't be giving up a material advantage (next sponsor in the queue steps up) and more importantly its effect will be minimal/nil.

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I disagree. I think it's tokenistic because it won't be giving up a material advantage (next sponsor in the queue steps up) and more importantly its effect will be minimal/nil.
Its effect will be to promote the GFC as a responsible institution that is no longer willing to benefit from the exploitation of gambling. Just as Channel 9 stopped accepting cigarette company sponsorship years ago.

Apparently not, perhaps you did not understand your own post, I suggest you read it again. If you think there was an apology, you should read my post again. Trouble with comprehension?
Geelong still has pokies. So you were wrong.

Apology accepted.

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong still has pokies. So you were wrong.

Apology accepted.
Oh dear oh dear. My 7 year old son can debate with more reason than your infantile pretense. I am reminded of Monty Python's Argument Sketch; yes it is/no it isn't/yes it is...ad infinitum.

Back