News Cats set to head to Perth hub & then QLD hub

Um so why does geelong play home games against richmond at the mcg?
Because Richmond have compromising photos of Gil & thus what Richmond want, Richmond get

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Can we have a /QLD added to the thread title?
We got shafted because Geelong don't complain.Now Clarko his boys got looked after.
first up Carlton both on a 5 day break followed with a bye,then Freo both on an 11 day break then W/C 7 day break Hawthorn 6 days.Nothing to complain about there.I think that's 4 games in 30 days.

I know some aren't totally happy with our upcoming schedule, but it could be a worse; like we could be Collingwood:

Rnd 9 - Sun Aug 2
Freo vs Pies (Perth)

Rnd 10 - Thur Aug 6
Pies vs Swans (Gabba)

Rnd 11 - Tue Aug 11
Crows vs Pies (Adelaide)

Rnd 12 - Sat Aug 15
Demons vs Pies (Gabba)

So 4 games in 14 days across 3 states. I know we also play 4 games in 14 days, but at least we don't have that extra interstate trip

For those interested, here is the full 4 week schedule

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
I know some aren't totally happy with our upcoming schedule, but it could be a worse; like we could be Collingwood:

Rnd 9 - Sun Aug 2
Freo vs Pies (Perth)

Rnd 10 - Thur Aug 6
Pies vs Swans (Gabba)

Rnd 11 - Tue Aug 11
Crows vs Pies (Adelaide)

Rnd 12 - Sat Aug 15
Demons vs Pies (Gabba)

So 4 games in 14 days across 3 states. I know we also play 4 games in 14 days, but at least we don't have that extra interstate trip

3 of the 4 bottom sides and 12th, fair compensation I would have thought.

BigCat1

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
They are both Richmond home games, so playing them at a venue that isn't the oppositions home ground makes some sense. And they do get to travel to SA for their match against Port
As for maximising crowds - not sure that's really relevant this year, even in a state like Qld that is permitting fans, are they permitting full crowds or still reduced capacity?
Right so when they are Geelong home games maybe we should dictate where we want to play them. Seems exactly the same
to me. The games need to be in QLD so why wouldn’t you play it where the most fans can watch it irrespective of who’s “home game” it is. We are absolutely conditioned.

BigCat1

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats

Rnd 9 - Sun Aug 2
Freo vs Pies (Perth)

Rnd 10 - Thur Aug 6
Pies vs Swans (Gabba)

Rnd 11 - Tue Aug 11
Crows vs Pies (Adelaide)

Rnd 12 - Sat Aug 15
Demons vs Pies (Gabba)

We actually play 5 in 18 days but the media conveniently leave that out. Why the team
playing Monday in round 8 doesn’t get any favours before the “big bash” starts is beyond me.

Right so when they are Geelong home games maybe we should dictate where we want to play them. Seems exactly the same
to me. The games need to be in QLD so why wouldn’t you play it where the most fans can watch it irrespective of who’s “home game” it is. We are absolutely conditioned.

It's nothing to do with being conditioned to anything - this is not a normal year of football and we need to stop looking at things as if it were, and comparing scheduling decisions this year with what's happened in past seasons

Yes crowds are being welcomed back at stadiums in WA, QLD, SA & NSW - but each state has their own rules in regards to capacity/size of crowds, and not sure we'll actually be seeing sell out crowds in Qld over the near future

The place that most fans will be watching the games this year is from their tv - it's highly doubtful that the AFL would be placing a high priority on potential crowd capacity when scheduling the games across the remainder of the season

A greater focus or priority for the AFL would be trying to share the playing loads around the available grounds rather than becoming too reliant on too few grounds & risk cutting up its surface too much

BigCat1

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
It's nothing to do with being conditioned to anything - this is not a normal year of football and we need to stop looking at things as if it were, and comparing scheduling decisions this year with what's happened in past seasons

Yes crowds are being welcomed back at stadiums in WA, QLD, SA & NSW - but each state has their own rules in regards to capacity/size of crowds, and not sure we'll actually be seeing sell out crowds in Qld over the near future

The place that most fans will be watching the games this year is from their tv - it's highly doubtful that the AFL would be placing a high priority on potential crowd capacity when scheduling the games across the remainder of the season

A greater focus or priority for the AFL would be trying to share the playing loads around the available grounds rather than becoming too reliant on too few grounds & risk cutting up its surface too much
That’s an amazingly long answer to justify why everything always comes up Tigers. The only club the legitimately plays less away games than I see blue moons.

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
I think, looking longer term, that having to play so many actual games away from KP will help the team. Even more so if a large proportion of the younger guys get games. Good experience to work on their structures under game conditions in different sized parks.
I might add, the whole season is a bit of an asterisks for me.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
I think, looking longer term, that having to play so many actual games away from KP will help the team. Even more so if a large proportion of the younger guys get games. Good experience to work on their structures under game conditions in different sized parks.
I might add, the whole season is a bit of an asterisks for me.

Those in the media are doing their best to ensure people don't hold such a view.
Really can't see how anyone could possibly make a case for this season being the most challenging of any other. Understanding teams are being comprised during this pandemic but all you need to do is hit the scoreboard early in a game, hold a 1 goal lead or more at quarter time and you have effectively won the game according to the season percentages so far.

ChappyUK

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Podcaster Pokemon is Life Pantskyle
Sep 12, 2011
London
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal, QPR.
We either thrive in this period or we don't. Not going to lose too much sleep over it.

Just want to see the future tried. Krueger, Fogarty, Stevens, Constable.

Plus Nakia getting game time.

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
Those in the media are doing their best to ensure people don't hold such a view.
Really can't see how anyone could possibly make a case for this season being the most challenging of any other. Understanding teams are being comprised during this pandemic but all you need to do is hit the scoreboard early in a game, hold a 1 goal lead or more at quarter time and you have effectively won the game according to the season percentages so far.
I've been through strike shortened seasons in the NFL and MLB. Even to a kid, those didn't have the usual rhythms and so weren't taken as seriously. I enjoyed any games I watched, but didn't have a real 'season' feeling.

Can we stop whinging about f**king Richmond. There not even playing at the G.
Noone cared when they were sh*t for 30+ years.
Exactly; we also need to stop comparing the scheduling considerations being made this year with considerations and priorities from previous seasons (and future seasons), because this is not like other seasons

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Exactly; we also need to stop comparing the scheduling considerations being made this year with considerations and priorities from previous seasons (and future seasons), because this is not like other seasons
Exactly. They're just trying to get it done somehow.

Geelong's Round 12 match against Port Adelaide has been moved from the GABBA to Metricon Stadium.

This change has been made to ensure sufficient protection of the turf at the Gabba, noting there are three other matches at the Gabba during Round 12.

Round 12
Geelong Cats vs Port Adelaide
Metricon Stadium
Friday, Aug 14
750pm EST

Much ado about nothing really.

Do we know where the cats are staying in SE QLD? (Noose/Brisbane/Gold Coast)?
Haven't heard that yet - guessing we'll find out in coming days as the club would be flying out on Sunday

Back