News Cats set to head to Perth hub & then QLD hub

Remove this Banner Ad

I spose we should be sooking but I just can't really be bothered. Take what you can get footy wise in this crazy Covid season.

What riles me just as much as the 'fixture' that the AFL perpetuates upon us year after year is the characterisation of any objective analysis of its blatant inequity as 'sooking'.

Simply pointing out that the system is ridiculously biased and entirely craven is just an honest and measured observation. To minimise it as sooking simply adds to the ability of all those benefiting from the unjust system to continue their manipulation unchecked.

I'm not suggesting we should use any of this as an excuse for poor results. Which is another convenient misnomer people posit whenever these points are raised. However, to swallow such incredible bias without noting the sheer inanity of it all just ensures that the powerful become further entrenched and the meek inherit as little as the entitled can possibly manage.

Beat the system, by all means. But to suggest that there's no need to speak up and seek to change the system demeans everyone who is being smashed from pillar to post by the powers that be.

In the end, I'm speaking for way more than just the interests of the GFC when these issues arise. Because it's far from simply us who are getting worked over by the powerbrokers as they blatantly guide their interests along with a rails run.

Some teams will play 9 home games, some will play 8 this year. If we get 9 home games, then this doesn't matter from a fairness POV (it's the same as if we played this game away, but still got 8 home games).

edit: It wouldn't be fair if we played 7 games in Geelong and 1 in Perth if it allowed the Pies to play 9 home games at the G for instance. But 8 in Geelong, 1 in Perth compared to 8 at the G for the pies is about as fair as you can get.

What riles me just as much as the 'fixture' that the AFL perpetuates upon us year after year is the characterisation of any objective analysis of its blatant inequity as 'sooking'.

Simply pointing out that the system is ridiculously biased and entirely craven is just an honest and measured observation. To minimise it as sooking simply adds to the ability of all those benefiting from the unjust system to continue their manipulation unchecked.

I'm not suggesting we should use any of this as an excuse for poor results. Which is another convenient misnomer people posit whenever these points are raised. However, to swallow such incredible bias without noting the sheer inanity of it all just ensures that the powerful become further entrenched and the meek inherit as little as the entitled can possibly manage.

Beat the system, by all means. But to suggest that there's no need to speak up and seek to change the system demeans everyone who is being smashed from pillar to post by the powers that be.

In the end, I'm speaking for way more than just the interests of the GFC when these issues arise. Because it's far from simply us who are getting worked over by the powerbrokers as they blatantly guide their interests along with a rails run.
Yeah, but you should stop sooking.

I predicted many years we would be a top four side and a strong competitive one and at worst called us shots for premierships which we were, and argued with pessimists such as yourself and the other extremes on here who year after year predicted the great fall of geelong from the top 8, then when they goproven wrong kept shifting thr goal posts like cowards to ” well we didnt win a flag so i am still right”. I was probably the only one close to or spot on the money.

As one poster put it just before we will see geelong ”unshackled” this year with less coaching structures from scott as everythings been cut back and they are part timers now. And what we have seen is more raw talent. And its an old slow defense that has been badly beaten and a lack of speed and general kicking skills. Alot of which great coaching covered up but i am afraid wont be anymore and we will be ”unshackled”

Nah mate, you only have to look at some of your threads created in the past to get a glimpse as to just how wrong you were. I will give you this though, you always said we would be in a premiership window up until this year so that was spot on.

The thing is though, Geelong are always the bookies favourites as we continually roll over the list with top up's. It's not like we have to take a nose dive in order to rejuvenate things. This means it is not all that difficult to predict we are in a premiership window.
Having said that, I personally didn't see us making the finals last year. I did feel the 2nd half of last season was more indicative of where this club was at.
I fear for the club right now. It's more than just what happens this year, I fear we are going to be in a rotten position for many, many years. We simply have not done enough to ensure younger players are developed in a way they can make the progress needed.

I look at our club bringing in the likes of Steven and Jenkins in the off season and know full well they will get a spot ahead of developing younger players. So far, Jenkins has not received a game and I hope for our sake, it remains that way. It won't though.
I don't understand why we keep playing Taylor. He's still performing at a satisfactory level but it's absolutely pointless in the grand scheme of things. He is not going to be in our next grand final team, in fact, given we won't make the finals this year, he's not even needed so blood youth!

As the so called "Home" team for that game vs Collingwood - does that mean we will get the gate takings from whatever sort of crowd is allowed to turn up that night?

Nah mate, you only have to look at some of your threads created in the past to get a glimpse as to just how wrong you were. I will give you this though, you always said we would be in a premiership window up until this year so that was spot on.

The thing is though, Geelong are always the bookies favourites as we continually roll over the list with top up's. It's not like we have to take a nose dive in order to rejuvenate things. This means it is not all that difficult to predict we are in a premiership window.
Having said that, I personally didn't see us making the finals last year. I did feel the 2nd half of last season was more indicative of where this club was at.
I fear for the club right now. It's more than just what happens this year, I fear we are going to be in a rotten position for many, many years. We simply have not done enough to ensure younger players are developed in a way they can make the progress needed.

I look at our club bringing in the likes of Steven and Jenkins in the off season and know full well they will get a spot ahead of developing younger players. So far, Jenkins has not received a game and I hope for our sake, it remains that way. It won't though.
I don't understand why we keep playing Taylor. He's still performing at a satisfactory level but it's absolutely pointless in the grand scheme of things. He is not going to be in our next grand final team, in fact, given we won't make the finals this year, he's not even needed so blood youth!
Going to be interesting to see what they do if we lose a few of our next handful of games, ensuring we're very little chance of challenging. Becomes very hard to justify keeping those old blokes around if they're not part of the future of the club. Jenkins and Steven also start looking like huge blunders. Just deadwood on the list, taking spots, game time and money from younger players.

Would have been nice, especially if they allowed 10k into the ground. What's the thoughts from the Pies camp, small sample size but you play the ground pretty well with a 2-1 result, and isn't it the closest ground size to the MCG? Probably explains why we're 0-2 at the ground haha

Reckon we like Optus bc as you mention the dimensions and I reckon we think we travel well too

Ive continuously said we are capable of winning a flag and or competing for a flag, the result was we finished top four and made prelims. Not very far off the mark even if i said literally we would win it. I also didnt do the cowards goal shift which biggy etc did continuously after they got it so wrong claiming we wouls fall off a cliff and out of the top 8 becausw x and y retired, then when confronted had a tantrum and shifted the goal posts to ” we wont win the flag and if we dont win the flag your prediction is way off”. I never once got the predictions that horendously wrong and was always there abouts the mark, and never once had to shift the goal posts to save face.

We are always inevitably at some point going to be a side down the botton. Its natural at some point and inevoidable. It should have occured many years ago but due to great coaching we managed to get several more good years.

After about 16 years of overwhelming success including 3 flags almost every season bar a handful finals appearances, your actually going to sulk if wd finally drop down??

Talk about ungrateful for the success given. I will happily watch us rebuild after a period of spoils over a long time no other club has really seen.

I also didnt do the cowards goal shift which biggy etc did continuously after they got it so wrong

You are always telling us how many All Australian's we have lost since Chris Scott took over after each time we bomb out of the finals but then you make a thread implying we have the best list in the competition https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/do-we-have-the-best-list-in-the-afl-when-fully-fit.1123812/ and you are telling us you do not shift the goal posts?
I mean which one is it. We either have the best list in the competition (in which Scott has full grasp over) or we have indeed lost too many All Australian's.

I mean seriously mate, you have a handful of such threads you started which have backfired so please stop with your self gratification.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a bad thread and given we made a prelim and finished top four, not far off the mark. Your trying to reinvent things a bit to suit yourself here. If you say we are going to win the flag and you end up making top four and wining a prelim, thats a good call and within proximity to what occured, which is where all my predictions usually sat. Thats consistent good predicting over an extended oeriod of time.

What is goal post shifting is posters like yourself and others who said ” we are going to decline and fall off a cliff out of the top 8, an its been said since 2013, and then when when it was apparent we werent anywhere near such predictions and they got egg on their faces, they shifted the goal posts to the cowards call of grand final win or you have it way off and we are righr, because all other narratives embarrased their predictions year after year.

We did loose AA continuously an bled them. Was a brilliant job from scott and co ti keep us a great team and at times a list that was a decent one, not the best in the AFL in 2016 but not a bad call at all to suggest it was given how well we did.

Not a bad thread and given we made a prelim and finished top four, not far off the mark.

That tremendous list you spoke about had to wait on an arrant shot at goal after the siren in order to get a weeks rest.
They then found themselves down by 50 points at halftime in the preliminary final against an interstate side playing over here at the MCG and you think you weren't that far off the mark?

In fact, look at how many times this team has found it's self down by 7, 8, 10 goals in a final. It is why drastic changes should have been made years ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back