Cats set to host Simonds finals

Remove this Banner Ad

All those Geelong members salivating at the prospect of finals at Simonds Stadium, be wary of the sting in the tail - ticket prices. The AFL are notorious for inflating ticket prices at lower capacity venues - your nose bleed Qualifying and Preliminary Final tickets will likely cost more than your season membership.

As for the premium tickets, they will run into Grand Final pricing territory. That's what happened at the GWS v WB final at Spotless last year.

Sometimes you have to be careful of what you wish for.

Even against the swans? I would have thought you get the swans it would be played at anz.
Possibly, they seem to prefer Spotless amongst their fans. Go figure.
That's not their clubs official line, and it's possible. No finals at the SCG ever though

Ok let's say essendon draw the pies or tigers in a home final, you think they'll play it at your "home" etihad stadium?
I'd at least want the club to be given the option, if they are lucky enough to earn the right to a home final. Slightly different situation though. Two Vic teams playing a final at Etihad hasn't happened in 17 years and probably won't happen for a while (partly due to MCG games quotas). If Essendon playing finals at Etihad gave us more of a chance of winning the flag then I'd be all for it.

Simonds is a genuine home ground that Geelong should be able to take advantage of. Apart from Easter Monday I think it would be great if they played all their home games there. I don't think it's entirely fair they do the hard work to finish top 4 only to potentially get shifted to the MCG for their first final, to compete against a team who plays the majority of their games there. I know the 'rule' is that you're only entitled to a home state final, but I think it's time we move on from that.

Last edited:

100k at Richmond Paddock which helps minnow clubs like North to survive or 34k at Geelong,where the Cats get all the trimmings because of their huge home ground advantage?

Has to be G.

Empty 100k stadium so Geelong gets yet another leg up lol.

Cats cups don't ring when you tap them.

I'd at least want the club to be given the option, if they are lucky enough to earn the right to a home final. Slightly different situation though. Two Vic teams playing a final at Etihad hasn't happened in 17 years and probably won't happen for a while (partly due to MCG games quotas). If Essendon playing finals at Etihad gave us more of a chance of winning the flag then I'd be all for it.

Simonds is a genuine home ground that Geelong should be able to take advantage of. Apart from Easter Monday I think it would be great if they played all their home games there. I don't think it's entirely fair they do the hard work to finish top 4 only to potentially get shifted to the MCG for their first final to compete against a team who plays the majority of their games on it. I know the 'rule' is that you're only entitled to a home state final, but I think it's time we move on from that.
Get it to at least 50k and make sure you play every home game there and then you can demand a home final. Not pick and choose who you play down there during the season and then come finals demand you should play them all in geelong. Laughable.

Get it to at least 50k and make sure you play every home game there and then you can demand a home final. Not pick and choose who you play down there during the season and then come finals demand you should play them all in geelong. Laughable.
Since the redevelopment was completed in Round 7 they've hosted all of their games at Simonds (apart from vs. Hawthorn, but I think those games deserve a pass). They'll host the big crowd-drawing Richmond there in Round 21. Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon should all have to play down there too. It's as close to a genuine home ground as you can get at the moment. It'd be nice if the capacity was a little higher, but I think it's ready to be a finals venue.

All those Geelong members salivating at the prospect of finals at Simonds Stadium, be wary of the sting in the tail - ticket prices. The AFL are notorious for inflating ticket prices at lower capacity venues - your nose bleed Qualifying and Preliminary Final tickets will likely cost more than your season membership.

As for the premium tickets, they will run into Grand Final pricing territory. That's what happened at the GWS v WB final at Spotless last year.

Sometimes you have to be careful of what you wish for.
Prelim prices at Spotless and the MCG last year were the same, ranged from $65 up to $179. There are more of the cheap seats at the G though because level 4 is so big. In recent years the prelims have become expensive and weeks 1+2 good value, but it's across all stadiums, they didn't inflate it because it was Spotless.

People need to chill the * out.

After years of asking nicely for 9 home games and always getting 7 or 8 the club is trying a new negotiating tactic - make a demand the AFL won't meet and then have a 'compromise' deal somewhere in the middle.

End result will be 9 or maybe even 10 KP games (forcing one big club per year like Coll, Haw or Ess to play there), and Week 1 and 2 finals in Geelong if it's against an interstate team.

I'm against playing finals against Vic teams at KP anyway. The crowd has to be split 50-50 so the home ground advantage is majorly undermined anyway.

Since the redevelopment was completed in Round 7 they've hosted all of their games at Simonds (apart from vs. Hawthorn, but I think those games deserve a pass). They'll host the big crowd-drawing Richmond there in Round 21. Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon should all have to play down there too. It's as close to a genuine home ground as you can get at the moment. It'd be nice if the capacity was a little higher, but I think it's ready to be a finals venue.
For some reason we haven't been exempt from going down there like collingwood, hawthorn, essendon and Carlton have. 35,000 venue when there is a as close to neutral ground that holds 100k down the road makes no sense at all.

We only consistently draw big crowds against Hawthorn and Collingwood.

Geelong vs. Richmond have consistently had meh crowds, even in years where the Tigers have been doing well. We've only had one match above 50k the last couple of decades. Even against Essendon at Etihad we've had more 50k+ matches.

But it's ridiculous that they have to play at KP while Carlton don't. Our crowds against the Blues are terrible the last few years and our 'home' Etihad crowds could've fitted into KP a few times.

People need to chill the **** out.

After years of asking nicely for 9 home games and always getting 7 or 8 the club is trying a new negotiating tactic - make a demand the AFL won't meet and then have a 'compromise' deal somewhere in the middle.

End result will be 9 or maybe even 10 KP games (forcing one big club per year like Coll, Haw or Ess to play there), and Week 1 and 2 finals in Geelong if it's against an interstate team.

I'm against playing finals against Vic teams at KP anyway. The crowd has to be split 50-50 so the home ground advantage is majorly undermined anyway.

Locks out a shitload of supporters.

For some reason we haven't been exempt from going down there like collingwood, hawthorn, essendon and Carlton have. 35,000 venue when there is a as close to neutral ground that holds 100k down the road makes no sense at all.

Explain Gil?

Keep saying it doesnt make it right. Its not a nuetral ground to those teams that it isnt their home ground.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong should absolutely play all home games and finals in Geelong, especially with a 40k seat stadium. I would be quite frustrated if I were a Geelong fan living in Geelong and constantly having to travel for a "home" game. Yes there is an advantage against Melbourne clubs but that is an advantage they have earned, likewise with interstate clubs. Fans missing out is unfortunately a cost but ultimately Geelong should be playing home games at home, just like every other club in the AFL.

I'd love to travel down for an Essendon game there, relishing in the vibe of entering a stadium full of passionate Geelong supporters. Would be economically beneficial for the city too.
You wouldn't get in.

But to Geelong and the interstate sides it is.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Not really to geelong, they'd play at the g as much as a Bulldogs or saints. If Richmond played at subi 5-6 times a year and it was an hr bus ride down the road I wouldn't be concerned of what a disadvantage it was for us to play there.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...0/news-story/be80a770962e1e6395539df74069277f

“With the way we use it for a home and away match, the most we can achieve is about 34,000,” Reeves told the Geelong Advertiser.

“We have got to get our head around that 36,000 is sort of unachievable.

“The most the AFL could get for a final is 34,000.”

“People need to understand that we aren’t a Melbourne club. We’re a regional club, in a regional city, with a regional stadium.”

GC should be forced to play in Brisbane and GWS at the SCG if we're forced to play in Melbourne for a home ground.

Fairs fair. The AFL is undeniably rigged and a joke of a competition.

Fair enough, i think it is good for Geelong, good for the city (economy) good for fans, i wish Collingwood could play finals at a redeveloped Vic park.

GC should be forced to play in Brisbane and GWS at the SCG if we're forced to play in Melbourne for a home ground.

Except you guys play home games at etihad and the g as well as playing many other games at those grounds.

GWS and GC play 1 game a year at the scg and Gabba respectively

Nuttin to do with us. From the outside it looks like some wierd Mexican thing. You'll have to sort it for yourselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back