Unofficial Preview Cats V Hawks - Another Chapter in THE RIVALRY..

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
We backed ourselves to do this last time and we did it, and we still lost.

Yes but we tried to be too clever with our selections last time and picked O'Connor as the late change for Savrat.

images

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
We have 4 midfielders who are better than Mitchell. You back yourself in to win the contests and the rest takes care of itself. Stop their uncontested marking game and we win like the other times we've beaten them. Our bottom 6 is better than theirs and so is our top end.

Thats sound like the game plan of nearly every team that play Hawthorn. I think you try to avoid losing by what you know. and if SS goes his way ..and TM goes his way .. I have a fair idea who gets the most ball. I want SS to call him chair and sit on him.

Can’t be overly worried about Mitchell. We have the best ball winning midfield in the comp. If he gets a hold of us it means ours have failed to do their job in getting the pill first.
Stanley important. McEvoy gave them good looks last time but he should do better for us this time on Ceglar.

May 8, 2006
Melborne
AFL Club
Geelong
Would like to see Cats continue the tactic used last week with Danger and other runners and/or best kickers (Menegola, Duncan) positioned between CHB and FB. Aside from blocking the opposition forward space this gives great opportunity to move through the corridor, linking with Kelly and Ablett, getting it quickly into F50 before zones and blocks set up to stop to Hawk, Menzel, Henry. Think this is our best approach but it needs the kicking to be pretty good, and this ain’t our strong suit.

Don’t like selection of Parsons but I can see how this could fit with this game plan - for all his many shortcomings (and I am definitely no fan), he has good penetration on this kick. Problem is he is so weak on other facets he’s a liability.

Hawks are in running for top 4 and are a very disciplined, versatile side with great foot skills. Will have to be one of our best efforts to win.

Scooter is not at peak form so Mitchell will be 35+. Burgoyne always plays well against us. If he limits Kelly/Danger and gets lots of ball around midfield, we are sunk. With a wet day hampering speed of movement, kicking and marking and our aversion to the ‘G, Hawks by 20 points.

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Would like to see Cats continue the tactic used last week with Danger and other runners and/or best kickers (Menegola, Duncan) positioned between CHB and FB. Aside from blocking the opposition forward space this gives great opportunity to move through the corridor, linking with Kelly and Ablett, getting it quickly into F50 before zones and blocks set up to stop to Hawk, Menzel, Henry. Think this is our best approach but it needs the kicking to be pretty good, and this ain’t our strong suit.

Don’t like selection of Parsons but I can see how this could fit with this game plan - for all his many shortcomings (and I am definitely no fan), he has good penetration on this kick. Problem is he is so weak on other facets he’s a liability.

Hawks are in running for top 4 and are a very disciplined, versatile side with great foot skills. Will have to be one of our best efforts to win.

Scooter is not at peak form so Mitchell will be 35+. Burgoyne always plays well against us. If he limits Kelly/Danger and gets lots of ball around midfield, we are sunk. With a wet day hampering speed of movement, kicking and marking and our aversion to the ‘G, Hawks by 20 points.

Meanwhile, we are a very dangerous wrecking ball of a team. Interesting to see the outcome of this collision of styles.

The Bandwagon

Club Legend
Jul 1, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Thats sound like the game plan of nearly every team that play Hawthorn. I think you try to avoid losing by what you know. and if SS goes his way ..and TM goes his way .. I have a fair idea who gets the most ball. I want SS to call him chair and sit on him.
Selwood isn't fit enough. We don't need to play a hard tag on Mitchell when we have the best midfield in the comp. And it's gelling at the right time.

BotsMaster

2022 Sep Premiers
Jan 26, 2009
Cheat Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Everton, Cardinals
Are you saying Hawthorn don't benefit from us bringing in Parsons and O'Connor?

Is there something I missed from their VFL form that others saw?
No unless they constantly turn the ball over, make poor decisions and concede goals like Henderson did last Friday night.

I nearly walked out of the G when he went central instead of out wide in that last passage of play.

It's not as simple as that.
The last time, our big 3 got 95 (69 effective) and Kelly got another 27, to Mitchell's 40 (25 effective) and O'Meara's 21, and they still won.
We need to pay some attention to him.
We got done 22-13 in centre clearances. That’s what we have to reverse and it’s about being first to the ball. Stanley being in some form will help.

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
We got done 22-13 in centre clearances. That’s what we have to reverse and it’s about being first to the ball. Stanley being in some form will help.
If we reverse this (and this isn't assured despite Stanley's form - I have nightmares about the North game when Stanley+Smith got pantsed by first gamer Preust) then we can ask question - How's Mitchell at defending?

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
We do need to fix one thing. Opposition kick outs. If I see another game where the opposition move the ball into their forward half from their kick-ins with ease because we're standing there fixated with the zone I'll hit the roof.

Then the players who are responsible for allowing such ease of movement need a rocket up their arse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Are you saying Hawthorn don't benefit from us bringing in Parsons and O'Connor?

Is there something I missed from their VFL form that others saw?
Probably. Are you actually claiming a perfect and comprehensive understanding of their VFL form?

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
It's not as simple as that.:D
What they did last time at the centre bounces was have all their midfielders but Mitchell concentrate almost 100% on just blocking the Geelong players so that Mitchell could get it unopposed, or they could feed/scramble it to him.
Have someone dedicated 100% to just blocking Mitchell, so they are left without their primary outlet for a significant number of bounces, and we can back Duncan, Selwood and Danger to win the ground level scramble. We would also then have the advantage of a de facto extra ground level midfielder in Stanley.
In addition, if we force a secondary ball-up, it is much easier to block Mitchell.
Of course, in his current form, Stanley may also help by knocking at least some hitouts over the Hawthorn inner ring.

We do need to fix one thing. Opposition kick outs. If I see another game where the opposition move the ball into their forward half from their kick-ins with ease because we're standing there fixated with the zone I'll hit the roof.

Need to fix our own kick outs too - can't just rely on the old "kick it long and hope for the best" like we have the last few weeks.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I would like to see this Forward Line for once:

HF: Menegola*, Hawkins, Parfitt*
FF: Crameri, Menzel, Fog/Danger/GAJ/Narkle*

* Rotations - bench, midfield, forward.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Scooter could do the job on Mitchell, but its purely negating role, he doesn't do a lot offensively these days.

Need to fix our own kick outs too - can't just rely on the old "kick it long and hope for the best" like we have the last few weeks.
That pissed me off no end last week - the first quarter every kick out seemed to come to the interchange side, and if we were lucky enough to take a mark, rather than switch or look for an open player, we would then kick it long to an out-numbered contest.

After half time it seemed to be, all kick outs went down the middle regardless if we were actually in position to receive the kick - it got to the stage where Richmond just stood in the spot they knew the ball would come

That pissed me off no end last week - the first quarter every kick out seemed to come to the interchange side, and if we were lucky enough to take a mark, rather than switch or look for an open player, we would then kick it long to an out-numbered contest.

After half time it seemed to be, all kick outs went down the middle regardless if we were actually in position to receive the kick - it got to the stage where Richmond just stood in the spot they knew the ball would come

Yep, seemed we had two plans last week in relation to kick outs:

1. Kick it long.
2. Kick to self, run 15m, then kick it long.

The one full game McCarthy played earlier this year I think he kicked 2.3 and could easily have finished with 4. Picked up around 15 touches from a forward pocket, some vicious tackles, marks, leading...pretty much the best display I've seen from any of our small forwards all year; that is from memory. I think he was injured in the first quarter the following week. The main difference I see, is that Cocky still has a mass of potential that we are yet to see, he could possibly do anything, speed, skills, good in the air, on the ground, tackle, and a bit of mongrel. Just needs a couple of full seasons behind him. I am not sure either McCarthy or Cocky will make it given their relentless injuries over the last two years.
Cockatoo looked every bit the star we hope over in the west earlier this year....until he broke down:rage:

Mr Blicavs

Basking in Premiership glory!
Aug 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Toronto Raptors - Maple Leafs
Well, if you call "utter professional", Clarko telling the reporters that they may not win the game and they were unlikely to win the cup this year, and you prefer this sort of coach I really don't know what to say.

Personally, I like CS and his high expectations of our playing group.
Anyone who says they’d take Scott over is a f***** moron.

Best coach of the modern era
And a realist. I’ll take a bloke who is honest about their premiership chances over a flog who claims ‘mission accomplished’ after getting belted by 10 goals all day long

Mr Blicavs

Basking in Premiership glory!
Aug 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Toronto Raptors - Maple Leafs
That you know do you?
I know a lot more about footy than you. That’s for sure...... and I guarantee I’ve played at a much higher level than you as well.

You’re nothing more than a groupie.......a garden variety ‘teach’
I wouldn’t be surprised if you were him tbh

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Meet my Poos+Wees voodoo doll :p

It was for the Midget, but now it's for whomever is number five lol

View attachment 540818
This was a trauma teddy from Casualty, but it was decided that the Poos+Wees colours would only add to children's trauma + it's now our sacrificial doll!

View attachment 540820

Love your use of Causality-very old school. A&E bear!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back