Prediction Cats v Hawks - the best of the best since 1989. Who’d win?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember some commentators of a footy panel show saying stoneham was currently the best player in the league at one point in the early nineties. He could really move and had an amazing shimmy for a centre half forward of his size. No one ever got close to saying that about hawkins
Hawkins would never have been a CHF in 1989. With his size, and his incredible ability as a 1v1 mark, he'd be full forward every day of the week and he would have dominated, too.

Remember some commentators of a footy panel show saying stoneham was currently the best player in the league at one point in the early nineties. He could really move and had an amazing shimmy for a centre half forward of his size. No one ever got close to saying that about hawkins. Hawkins however was more a full forward and competes with brownless.
Remember Dermie saying Stoneham was the best CHF game for a while. "Noone could touch him" I believe were his words.

Remember Dermie saying Stoneham was the best CHF game for a while. "Noone could touch him" I believe were his words.
His 1989 PF performance was sublime, but probably overshadowed by Ablett's lazy 8 goals

His 1989 PF performance was sublime, but probably overshadowed by Ablett's lazy 8 goals
the semi against melbourne in the wet was pretty awesome too. Better in fact.

stoneham reached new heights in the last 4 games of 1993. After battling niggles for most the season he then took a month off and recovered. He then absolutely monstered It in against all the top sides (In those last 4 weeks we played the side on top of the ladder 3 weeks in a row and then west coast in perth). Playing as a high centre half forward he kicked 17 goals in 4 games and was clutching contested marks all over the place. was pretty much the reason for our awesome return to form at the end of the season.

next season he was injured again. missed the first 12 games. Battled through niggles in the second half of the season and then broke his leg.

what could of been.

Last edited:
FB: Scarlett Blicavs Enright

Blicavs is a two-time Carji Greaves medalist. Who other than Scarlett and Enright matches that in the backline? He's also got another 2-3 years.

HB: Mackie Taylor Stewart

There is a bit of projection here given it's only Stewart's 4th year but he's already a 2x All Australian after three years in the AFL. In addition to that he's a more important player than Hinkley or Mansfield ever were. He needs another 50 games but is there any doubt he'll play them? Egan is actually the best CHB but Taylor gets the nod on consistency/health.

C: Ling G.Hocking Riccardi
R: Ottens, J.Selwood, Couch

Selwood, Hocking and Couch are locks without the versatility to play elsewhere. Riccardi is a great user of the ball and left-footer so he gets shunted to the left-wing. Ling comes off the wing as a tagger.

HF: Ablett jnr Hawkins Dangerfield
FF: Johnson Ablett Snr Chapman

Hawkins would play out of the goal square a lot with Ablett snr having the ability to roam. Snr arguably played his best games on a wing and frequently starred as a forward pocket for the Big V.

Int: Corey, Bartel, Milburn, Barnes

To me, the only controversial ones are Milburn who I selected over Mansfield/Hinkley on consistent years of service......and John Barnes. Barnesy gets in because he's versatile but still bloody good. King was probably a better player in his prime, but his prime occurred when we were terrible and there were a few years after injury where he was a plodder. Bourke only has one year in the time period which was probably the best year of his career but he was still limited as a player IMO.

FB: Scarlett Blicavs Enright

Blicavs is a two-time Carji Greaves medalist. Who other than Scarlett and Enright matches that in the backline? He's also got another 2-3 years.
:sick: Lol, no way does Blics get a spot. He's become a serviceable defender, nothing more. Lonergan was better than him.

Another interesting one is Dermie or Franklin at CHF? Hmmmm
Probs Dermie cause of finals but I dunno.
Same as Hawkins or Stoneham for us.
Reckon Stoneham at his peak at CHF was better than Hawkins at his peak.
Stoneham CHF and Hawkins FF. 89 era Ablett can play HFF.. and Stoneham can pinch hit in the ruck (just not against Justin Madden)

B: C.Enright - M.Scarlett - D.Milburn
HB: K.Hinkley - H.Taylor - A.Mackie
C: P.Riccardi - J.Selwood - G.Hocking
HF: G.Ablett Snr - B.Stoneham - P.Dangerfield
F: P Chapman - T.Hawkins - S.Johnson
Foll: B.Ottens - C.Ling - G.Ablett Jnr
Inter: J.Bartel - P.Couch - J.Corey - M.Mansfield
Emer: J.Barnes - T.McGrath - T.Kelly (?)

Ling starts, as he was a great run-with player. Riccardi and Hocking on the wings would have the fwds salivating, speaking of which that fwd line is a thing of pure beauty - Flair, Power, Genius in spades. Midfield depth might be too much for the Hawks. Backline might look undersized on paper but Milburn and Mackie can both play tall. I think Mackie matched up really well on Franklin the times he played on him, and Brereton vs Milburn would be worth the admission price alone. Besides, Stoneham could help out if needed (when not pinch-hitting in the ruck).

Lonergan is underrated and worth a serious shout but he didn't win two Carji Greeves medals did he?
Blicavs won one his in the ruck/mid. Not defence. Bos won two Carjis Playing as a defender. Hinkley and mansfield both won two all austtralians as defender. Blicavs has won no All australians.

However ignoring awards and just looking at how good a player they are as a defender then if we want a big defender then its one of lonergan, Graham, harley or Orielly. Blicavs comes after that along with mcgrath, darcy, schulze. Although given you dont have stoneham in the team I would have him in defence ahead of all of them.

Lonergan is underrated and worth a serious shout but he didn't win two Carji Greeves medals did he?
I don't care about the medals the coaches rewarded him with for kicking backwards and sideways better than anyone else. Lonergan, and several others, were miles better defenders than he is. Lonergan and Blicavs share similar deficiencies in ball movement and transition from the back 50, but Lonergan was a far superior stopper and smarter defensive player overall. Only thing Blicavs has on him is versatility and ball-getting, but those aren't really necessary attributes for your FB.

I'd have Lonergan over Blicavs any day of the week. Honestly I don't even think it's close. From 2011 onwards he was pretty much a wall, he almost never got beaten. And he dominated the greatest forward of the modern era in a way no other player could. His record vs. Buddy was incredible.

Blicavs is a good player but not at that level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't care about the medals the coaches rewarded him with for kicking backwards and sideways better than anyone else. Lonergan, and several others, were miles better defenders than he is. Lonergan and Blicavs share similar deficiencies in ball movement and transition from the back 50, but Lonergan was a far superior stopper and smarter defensive player overall. Only thing Blicavs has on him is versatility and ball-getting, but those aren't really necessary attributes for your FB.
Blitz benefits from not actually being completely crap as a defender.
It makes people so relieved he can actually play a position well enough to be in the team on merit they think he's an AA defender or better the Lonegan.

Blitz benefits from not actually being completely crap as a defender.
It makes people so relieved he can actually play a position well enough to be in the team on merit they think he's an AA defender or better the Lonegan.

I would have Domsy over Blitz as well. But that's only underlining how exceptional Lonergan was in the role.

It is indisputable now that many people outside the club rate Blitz highly enough as a FB to put him in AA calculations. He made the squad last year so can't have been miles off making the final team.

The idea that he is some sort of charitable venture at the club (or across the comp) is risible nonsense.

I would have Domsy over Blitz as well. But that's only underlining how exceptional Lonergan was in the role.

It is indisputable now that many people outside the club rate Blitz highly enough as a FB to put him in AA calculations. He made the squad last year so can't have been miles off making the final team.

The idea that he is some sort of charitable venture at the club (or across the comp) is risible nonsense.
Yeah I didnt say he's a charity. He's genuinely best 22 now.
As far as AA, yeah I dunno. Few ahead of him there, Andrews, Grimes, Tarrant, Hurn + more.

Yeah I didnt say he's a charity. He's genuinely best 22 now.
As far as AA, yeah I dunno. Few ahead of him there, Andrews, Grimes, Tarrant, Hurn + more.

How many players can you name who make AA squads that are nothing more than 'best 22' at their club, though? He is clearly regarded highly by many judges outside the GFC. He was really only competing for a place as a KPD in the final AA team with Andrews and Talia as 2019 squad nominees.

So to dismiss him as nothing more than an adequate member of the current Cats team is simply a continuance of the derision that is routinely heaped by some here upon him as a two-time Carji winner.

Spurious at best, spiteful at worst.

How many players can you name who make AA squads that are nothing more than 'best 22' at their club, though? He is clearly regarded highly by many judges outside the GFC. He was really only competing for a place as a KPD in the final AA team with Andrews and Talia as 2019 squad nominees.

So to dismiss him as nothing more than an adequate member of the current Cats team is simply a continuance of the derision that is routinely heaped by some here upon him as a two-time Carji winner.

Spurious at best, spiteful at worst.
I'm just giving my opinion. Not trying to be spiteful.
He's pretty much exactly as I thought of Lonegan from the start to finish of his career.
No difference.
Do I think he always has deserved his place in the team? No.
Do I think he's deserved an AA selection? No.
Do I think he's in our top 5 players? No
Do I think he's easily in our best team now and an important player? Absolutely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back