Cauldron of Fear

Remove this Banner Ad

kuepper

Club Legend
May 21, 2001
Bootown.
AFL Club
Fremantle
I have been meaning to write this for weeks, and finally got round to it today and posted it on dockerland.com - but thought I should also bang it in here for you all!

I was trying to workout exactly what we lack this year, as opposed to previous years - in fact compared to most other successful clubs, in most sports - like what is the common ingediant to a teams success?

And it came to me - it is the support from the stands - and I am serious here. Goto a Man U game, or the Dons at the 'G and it is really like a colliseum, with their local warriors being supported, and in the case of soccer especially, from the glory to the English Premier Leagure, stirring supporting songs are song in praise of the locals, and hammering the opposition scum that is invading our stadium - have them hate coming to play Freo in the west due to the defeaning support for the home team, and the passionate hatred of the oposing team!

Well I want to get that back - I for one am sick off sterile, nicely packaged football, where the family is king - as much as I agree there should be fam,ily designated spaces, so there should be for the loud, passionate SUPPORTER.

So I propose this, my fellow fremantle zealots, that we band together, and petition the club for just that - I have thought that the Perth end, behind the goals (maybe second tier) is always very empty, and that we start now to recruit those true passionate SUPPORTERs - not to be confused with the obscenity laiden drivel, who thrive on trashing our own (which shiould clearly be used to abuse the opposition!!)
and get a designated area, perhaps with our own membership cards/ shirts etc etc and really bring the boys home with some true genuine support!

I am sure that with a small amount of effort, we could easily get 500 - 1000 genuine supporters, bang us all in the same place and really generate sopme atmosphere @ subi - to this day nothing has beaten the glory semi final I went oo a few years back for sheer electricity and crowd support, and that got the guys home then - there is no reason we can't do the same thing!

So this is a call to arms here gents - who is with me? I'm even happy for this to be under the banner of dockerland.com - home of the cauldron of fear!

well you wanna know what i think i think that i have been trying to get use people to cheer for the past few years i have begged for use to join the cheersquad the designated area for cheering and yet none of use have joined and use are still silent of the game
i have basically had enough and have barely been cheering in the recent games because it is not worth loosing my voice just trying to get the supporters near us to cheer
we already have a designated area all we need now is for there to be enough supporters to make the cheering loud enough for the other side of the ground to hear and to bring fear to the oposition
i will not leave the cheersquad just to move to the other end of the ground to cheer cause wat u are basically proposing is we start a new cheersquad the one we have is perfectly fine with our nice new jumpers but all we need is new members passionate and loud members
so before starting a new cheersquad think about the one that is already formed it would be much easier and cheaper

I know that one or two blocks of the 2 tier stand (at the city end) are usually booked out for 'away team' clubs who buy a ticket with their travel packages - which is why there is usually a huge chunk of away supporters sitting all together at the opposite end to the 3 tier.

Keep up the good work dockerbabe. Your sheer squad may not be appreciated at the moment but I'm predicting good times ahead.

I like your idea in principal Kuepper. But I think the current freo season makes it impossible to get any passion out of your average Dockers fan. I reckon the two feed off each other, that is the team and the supporters. If the team showed some passion they would rev up the fans, then the team would rev up even more and so on.

We could try and rev up the team by all yelling our **** off at the next game, but the players have to give us something to work with.

Originally posted by kuepper
I have been meaning to write this for weeks, and finally got round to it today and posted it on dockerland.com - but thought I should also bang it in here for you all!

I was trying to workout exactly what we lack this year, as opposed to previous years - in fact compared to most other successful clubs, in most sports - like what is the common ingediant to a teams success?

And it came to me - it is the support from the stands - and I am serious here. Goto a Man U game, or the Dons at the 'G and it is really like a colliseum, with their local warriors being supported, and in the case of soccer especially, from the glory to the English Premier Leagure, stirring supporting songs are song in praise of the locals, and hammering the opposition scum that is invading our stadium - have them hate coming to play Freo in the west due to the defeaning support for the home team, and the passionate hatred of the oposing team!

Well I want to get that back - I for one am sick off sterile, nicely packaged football, where the family is king - as much as I agree there should be fam,ily designated spaces, so there should be for the loud, passionate SUPPORTER.

So I propose this, my fellow fremantle zealots, that we band together, and petition the club for just that - I have thought that the Perth end, behind the goals (maybe second tier) is always very empty, and that we start now to recruit those true passionate SUPPORTERs - not to be confused with the obscenity laiden drivel, who thrive on trashing our own (which shiould clearly be used to abuse the opposition!!)
and get a designated area, perhaps with our own membership cards/ shirts etc etc and really bring the boys home with some true genuine support!

I am sure that with a small amount of effort, we could easily get 500 - 1000 genuine supporters, bang us all in the same place and really generate sopme atmosphere @ subi - to this day nothing has beaten the glory semi final I went oo a few years back for sheer electricity and crowd support, and that got the guys home then - there is no reason we can't do the same thing!

So this is a call to arms here gents - who is with me? I'm even happy for this to be under the banner of dockerland.com - home of the cauldron of fear!

kuepper if u really want to do something u should try and get the people around u to cheer even if the cheersquad isnt
cause it isnt just up to the cheersquad to get the crowd to cheer (and it is bloody hard to get the crowd to cheer when they don't want to cheer)
lets just face it our crowd is becoming an eagles crowd not cheering very much and only cheering when the team is up
u wanna do something this year get the people arund u to cheer and maybe that will start the whole crowd cheering and if u succeed in getting the crowd to cheer then u can start up a cheersquad of your own

Re: Re: Cauldron of Fear

Originally posted by dockerbabe

kuepper if u really want to do something u should try and get the people around u to cheer even if the cheersquad isnt cause it isnt just up to the cheersquad to get the crowd to cheer

500-1000 does not make a Cauldron of Fear. Back when Subi was actually a COF (oh, those were the good old days, better known as 1991-94;)) it still required the whole crowd to get fired up in order to really scare the crap out of the opposition. Fortunately that was much easier to achieve back then.

So yes, it is hugely important that EVERY person in a crowd should be cheering and screaming, regardless of whether they are in a cheersquad or not. Well supported teams should not NEED a cheersquad at home games, the entire crowd should be doing that job for them...

Re: Re: Re: Cauldron of Fear

Originally posted by Mr Eagle

500-1000 does not make a Cauldron of Fear. Back when Subi was actually a COF (oh, those were the good old days, better known as 1991-94;)) it still required the whole crowd to get fired up in order to really scare the crap out of the opposition. Fortunately that was much easier to achieve back then.

So yes, it is hugely important that EVERY person in a crowd should be cheering and screaming, regardless of whether they are in a cheersquad or not. Well supported teams should not NEED a cheersquad at home games, the entire crowd should be doing that job for them...

i think i remember back when freo won their first derby our 500 to 1000 supporters up he city end made more noise than the 30,000 eagle supporters combined and it was just so sweet to see half of them leaving at 3 quarter time

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cauldron of Fear

Originally posted by dockerbabe

i think i remember back when freo won their first derby

I remember when we won our first derby too, and second, and third, and forth, and fifth, and sixth, and seventh, and eighth, and ninth, and tenth, and eleventh...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cauldron of Fear

Originally posted by GoEagles

I remember when we won our first derby too, and second, and third, and forth, and fifth, and sixth, and seventh, and eighth, and ninth, and tenth, and eleventh...

Right - that's nice.

Do you have a point related to the topic of crowd participation?

Sorry to steer the topic to my team for a minute, but the Eagles supporters have always been bagged as a bunch of quiet golf-clappers. Sad to say it, but there's been a lot of truth in that in the past, particularly if you're sitting up in the two-tier stand area. This year, however, has been a real surprise - the numbers have stayed up over 20K and the crowd seems a lot more involved. At some of the games this year, the crowd was as passionate as any game I've ever been to at Subi since the pre-87 State of Origin days.

My point (and I do have one) is that the Eagles have been blessed with a high membership as a result of some years of success so, when the hard times come, the nut of die-hard passionate supporters (the ones who don't leave early, and every club has them Sabre so p!ss off) is just that much larger than the Dockers. The die-hard Dockers supporters are there, but they're just struggling to be heard at the moment

Ultimately, I think there are two factors that will create a COF for the Dockers - the first is an increase in membership numbers and a corresponding increase in die-hard supporters, something that happens over a number of years of on-field success. I don't think you can really go out and recruit that type of supporter, they're born and bred (or in the Dockers' case, inbred :D:D). The second (generalization alert) is the fact that many Dockers supporters appear to take great pride in being more vocal than those blue and gold theatregoer types. As a result, getting over 20K screaming Dockers supporters to your games on a consistent basis should make Subiaco a hellhole for visiting teams

Okay, enough rambling

Originally posted by carneagles

My point (and I do have one) is that the Eagles have been blessed with a high membership as a result of some years of success so, when the hard times come, the nut of die-hard passionate supporters (the ones who don't leave early, and every club has them Sabre so p!ss off) is just that much larger than the Dockers. The die-hard Dockers supporters are there, but they're just struggling to be heard at the moment

thats because u were in the league before us and so use got all the west aussies
when freo joined not many people wanted to change side which was good
freo got the fence sitters and die hard south and east supporters and the people not really involved with the eagles and now these people have become die hard freo supporters as soon as freo have risen to the top 8 i could see more people joining

Sorry to steer the topic to my team for a minute, but the Eagles supporters have always been bagged as a bunch of quiet golf-clappers. Sad to say it, but there's been a lot of truth in that in the past, particularly if you're sitting up in the two-tier stand area. This year, however, has been a real surprise - the numbers have stayed up over 20K and the crowd seems a lot more involved. At some of the games this year, the crowd was as passionate as any game I've ever been to at Subi since the pre-87 State of Origin days.

With the Eagles this year, this metamorphosis is because my family and I have returned from Melbourne and barrack passionately at all times. This is infectious and has spread to the 30,000 or so loyal Eagles that show up at every game.

It's hard for most fans to keep cheering when their team is going so badly - especially for the children. Get it right on the field and I'm sure the Dockers fans will be able to create a decent atmosphere.

Originally posted by Voice of Reason

With the Eagles this year, this metamorphosis is because my family and I have returned from Melbourne and barrack passionately at all times. This is infectious and has spread to the 30,000 or so loyal Eagles that show up at every game.

VOR, the Eagles salute you! :D

Something else that occurred to me yesterday, on the subject of the COF. The Eagles have two chants at the moment. The first is the standard "Eee-gles! clap clap clap" that you hear at just about every AFL game (with the appropriate modifications of course). The second is the two-tone drawn out "Eeeeeeeee-gles" that springs up towards the end. I've always liked the second chant because, when it reverberates around a stadium like Subiaco, it gives a really eerie feeling, almost like a Roman colisseum or something. It would probably have the same effect on opposition players as well, I'd imagine. But a few other supporters I've spoken to absolutely hate the chant.

Any thoughts? Or should I shut up now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back