CAX1 v Windies Tour Game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok day, could have been 5-6 for 300 with some more judicious shot selection 🤦

I admire your optimism but it's a bit of a worry when the West Indies are 251/8 against a no name CA XI bowling line up.

I hate to think what Cummins, Hazlewood, Starc and Lyon could do to them in the tests, I hope they are competitive but it could get ugly.

I admire your optimism but it's a bit of a worry when the West Indies are 251/8 against a no name CA XI bowling line up.

I hate to think what Cummins, Hazlewood, Starc and Lyon could do to them in the tests, I hope they are competitive but it could get ugly.

Having actually watched it, the bowling was fine, the batsmen were all comfortable bar Athanaze who inexplicably threw his wicket away after 6 balls.
As is regularly the case with our batsmen, it isn’t any lack of ability to play a decent shot or keep out a decent ball that is often our undoing, it is the inability to turn a start into a big score and it was on show yet again as five batsmen got themselves set with two falling for 17 and 26 and another 3 falling between 50 and 62. None of them really looked in any bother for most of their time at the crease.

He's been pure trash since England toured yeah? Walking wicket at 7 right now. Any WK's coming through?/is Imlach worth a shot?

He played one really good knock in the SA A series which I thought might have got him started again - strong century.

He’s been dismissed 14 times since that century against England (he was averaging over 30 at that point, it’s 26 now) and 10 times he’s made it to double figures without passing 50. Part of it owes to the pretty ordinary efforts of the tail at the other end but undoubtedly he’s dropped off significantly as well.

I would think da Silva probably gets this series to do something about it but he’s on probation

Today didn’t help his cause. Sinclair can legitimately bat; has a first class average of 30 over a lengthy enough career, 8 first class half centuries, so it wasn’t as though it was time to start slogging.

Interested to hear the commentators talk about Brendan Nash today when they spoke about white West Indies cricketers - Henry Olonga and the female commentator had no idea who he was. He wasn’t exactly a superstar but he had a reasonable enough test career that I thought they would have at least had some recognition of him

Ian Bishop must shake his head at the standard of some of the commentators when he comes out here to commentate.

Not only does he have a better knowledge of international cricket, he has a better knowledge of domestic cricket than most of them too.

Not just Australian domestic cricket but domestic cricket in every test playing country, he does more research than any commentator I know.

Ian Bishop must shake his head at the standard of some of the commentators when he comes out here to commentate.

Not only does he have a better knowledge of international cricket, he has a better knowledge of domestic cricket than most of them too.

Not just Australian domestic cricket but domestic cricket in every test playing country, he does more research than any commentator I know.

Nash had a significant first class career - nearly 8000 runs across three nations and 140 matches. Pretty poor really even if it’s just a regional commentary team

Absolutely no surprise teams aren't winning away, Windies have come here with 1 half assed tour game against D level opposition and then straight into a Test Match... England are going to India 3 days before the first Test of 5... What is the point...

Absolutely no surprise teams aren't winning away, Windies have come here with 1 half assed tour game against D level opposition and then straight into a Test Match... England are going to India 3 days before the first Test of 5... What is the point...
Sadly the way of all tours. Third rate opponents, often on decks nothing like the ones the Tests will be played on.
Its the nature of forcing so much white ball into the calendar, there's little money in Tests and less than none in tour games so they get thrown aside with - at best - a token nod.

Nash had a significant first class career - nearly 8000 runs across three nations and 140 matches. Pretty poor really even if it’s just a regional commentary team
Was Shannon Gabriel not available for this tour or just not picked anymore?

On Redmi Note 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked the look of left armer Liam Haskett, big, bustly, reasonably accurate and gets steep bounce even on this featherbed. He has had a decent start to his Shield career too, so deserves his nod.

Last edited:
Sadly the way of all tours. Third rate opponents, often on decks nothing like the ones the Tests will be played on.
It’s the nature of forcing so much white ball into the calendar, there's little money in Tests and less than none in tour games so they get thrown aside with - at best - a token nod.
And even when they get a proper good quality warm up game it ends up in conditions nothing like what they’ll face in the Tests like we did to Pakistan at Manuka.

Like all things regarding test cricket, it can be fixed, but it relies on people sacrificing something a little bit and no one wants to do it.

Good half century Tim Ward. The Tassie lefty always seems to take his chance when given one of these rep games. Falls to spin yet again tho. Needs work here.

I suspect Harry Matthias will bat between 7-9
Will he bat at all as Doran has materialized and will come in at #5. Is the aim to chop and change with this pair as Matthias kept yesterday and very neatly too may I add. The SA rookie has impressed me with the gloves and bat in Seconds.

Last edited:
Will he bat at all as Doran has materialized and will come in at #5. Is the aim to chop and change with this pair as Matthias kept yesterday and very may I add. The SA rookie has impressed me with the gloves and bat in Seconds.
I mean, there are 14 players. Bat your batters and bowl your bowlers.

Ian Bishop is one of my favourite commentators. Also loved watching him bowl (had a great action)

Calls the cricket properly without any BS.

For the team that this match is actually about, Shamar Joseph pulling further ahead for the 3rd seamer spot for the Test.

Would've been good to see Pucovski get a cap this game. Imo he should be taking every chance like this to play - not suggesting he turned it down, just saying I'd love to have seen him play and he should be in all these sorts of games.

He needs to be finding some form.

I think that’s about right. I’d try to find a spot for Sinclair though
I had Sinclair instead of Greaves in my guess of the XI when the squad was announced but the fact he batted 9 in this match and hasn't bowled whereas Greaves made runs and has bowled suggests they're probably preferring Greaves?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back