Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Alvie FC
Colac and District Top Ten Players

Throughout the next ten days i will be revealing my top ten colac and district footballers. Looking for nothing more than some positive discussion and feedback. I realise that it will not be perfect and no doubt not everyone will agree but this is my top ten

May 29, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Alvie FC
NO.10- Xavier Meade (Irrewarra Beeac)
Perhaps the most important player to Irrewarra's premiership assault. I believe he is yet to be beaten and having a player like this is a luxury not many coaches have and im sure Dan Casey is very appreciative of this. Able to play on talls and small's, Irrewarra's key backman has been the best stopper in the competition this year and Meade is staking his claim as Warra's best recruit for this season. His ability to get kicks as well as beat his opponent is perhaps his greatest asset and he has earnt his spot in the leagues most valuable players through consistently putting together first class performances

sausagefest

Draftee
Jun 21, 2008
western district
AFL Club
Carlton
NO.10- Xavier Meade (Irrewarra Beeac)
Perhaps the most important player to Irrewarra's premiership assault. I believe he is yet to be beaten and having a player like this is a luxury not many coaches have and im sure Dan Casey is very appreciative of this. Able to play on talls and small's, Irrewarra's key backman has been the best stopper in the competition this year and Meade is staking his claim as Warra's best recruit for this season. His ability to get kicks as well as beat his opponent is perhaps his greatest asset and he has earnt his spot in the leagues most valuable players through consistently putting together first class performances
great choice boom

May 29, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Alvie FC
NO.9 Lee Hollmer (Lorne)
The best ruckman in the league. The Lorne bigman gives his on ballers first use of the ball and his mobility is impressive for a big man. Plays a similar role to West Coasts Dean Cox and is a very pivotal part in the set up of Lorne. His finals experiance will be priceless for his young team and the coaches guidance and direction on the ground is another great asset of Hollmers. The greater role as coach this year may lift the big man to greater heights in this years finals series and when he gets that big thump forward working with tully and the likes running onto it on the big ground of the central reserve, LOOKOUT!!!

go wide

Debutant
Mar 24, 2008
lorne hinterland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
swamp rats dolphins
NO.9 Lee Hollmer (Lorne)
The best ruckman in the league. The Lorne bigman gives his on ballers first use of the ball and his mobility is impressive for a big man. Plays a similar role to West Coasts Dean Cox and is a very pivotal part in the set up of Lorne. His finals experiance will be priceless for his young team and the coaches guidance and direction on the ground is another great asset of Hollmers. The greater role as coach this year may lift the big man to greater heights in this years finals series and when he gets that big thump forward working with tully and the likes running onto it on the big ground of the central reserve, LOOKOUT!!!

great appraisal boom.lee reluctantly accepted the coaching role.after first choice pulled out.dont underestimate the influence of assistant coach veteran mick balderas.and have i mentioned that alford goes alright. also one or two big debuts for the dolphins as soon as this saturday.

May 29, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Alvie FC
No.8-Sam Stevens (Irreawarra Beeac
Warra's ball magnet and runner up in last years league best and fairest, sam stevens oozes class and will be a dangerous player for the bombers come finals. His composure when in possesion of the football is dal santo like and his ball usage is superb. Bit like nick stevens in that he benefits from the close attention judd gets, in sam stevens case, the attention beckett gets and that frees him up to find plenty of the ball and opposition teams will need to be wary of his influence on the game if allowed to run free which he enjoys.

Hilly72

All Australian
Mar 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC, Birregurra FC
great appraisal boom.lee reluctantly accepted the coaching role.after first choice pulled out.dont underestimate the influence of assistant coach veteran mick balderas.and have i mentioned that alford goes alright. also one or two big debuts for the dolphins as soon as this saturday.

From the VCFL website.
13/3/2008 MEARS-DALTAN, Miyan From EXT.: Victorian Amatuer Football League > Old Trinity Grammarians In Progress
12/4/2008 BYRNE, Thomas Freferick From EXT.: Victorian Amatuer Football League > Old Xaverians In Progress
18/6/2008 CLANCY, Xavier Anthony From EXT.: Victorian Amatuer Football League > Melbourne Old Boys In Progress

Obviously two have been in the system a while, interesting to see if they are cleared and these 2 cleared last friday.
20/6/2008 RAINEY, JOEL Geelong & District FL > East Geelong 2005 > Player Approved
20/6/2008 WALKER, Tom Maxwell Geelong & District FL > Inverleigh 2008 > Player Approved

Grey Matter

Debutant
Jun 23, 2008
geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
From the VCFL website.
13/3/2008 MEARS-DALTAN, Miyan From EXT.: Victorian Amatuer Football League > Old Trinity Grammarians In Progress
12/4/2008 BYRNE, Thomas Freferick From EXT.: Victorian Amatuer Football League > Old Xaverians In Progress
18/6/2008 CLANCY, Xavier Anthony From EXT.: Victorian Amatuer Football League > Melbourne Old Boys In Progress

Obviously two have been in the system a while, interesting to see if they are cleared and these 2 cleared last friday.
20/6/2008 RAINEY, JOEL Geelong & District FL > East Geelong 2005 > Player Approved
20/6/2008 WALKER, Tom Maxwell Geelong & District FL > Inverleigh 2008 > Player Approved
Can tell you the 2 GDFL boys will be handy at best but heard that CLANCY is a key forward who goes ok

May 29, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Alvie FC
No.7- Mark Whelan (Birregurra)
Whelan has been the power forward of the competition this year powering to a dominating lead in the goalkicking. His accuracy from anywhere within about 60m is a great weopon and very few backman match up well on him. Could be the difference in a close match and has the ability to kick goals even when losing...as he has proved in the last few years. Together with Jabob mason, provides the Birregurra midfielders with a very dangerous forward 50.

May 29, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Alvie FC
NO.6- Robert Elborough (Irrewarra Beeac)
Irrewarras 3rd player in top ten thus far is a very classy one. Has missed games with injury this year but is one of the classiest players in the comp. They said that he would have played seniors at colac had he trained which he was unable to do. Very versatile in that he can play forward or midfield, tall or small and has terrific skills to complement his versatility. Warra will be hoping he is up and going come finals because he will help their cause greatly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 29, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Alvie FC
No.5- Andrew Kelly (Alvie)
Alvie ball magnet and GFL league best and fairest place getter on two occasions is capable of being number one on this list, however, injuries and illness have seen that Kelly has had an interrupted first half of the season while still providing supporters with enough evidence to suggest that he could be number one on this list by years end. His ability to find the footy and his hardness at the ball is something to marvel at despite the close attention he receives week in week out getting hit, scragged,tagged and roughed up at every opportunity but this is to be expected and he has to learn to deal with this, which he is doing. Has the ability to have a huge effect on the outcome of a match through sheer numbers of possessions and opposition sides will need to keep Kelly under control or the match could be a long way on the way to being lost.

May 29, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Alvie FC
NO.4- Damien O'Connor (Apollo Bay)
To be entirely honest, i do not know alot about O'Connor. Hilly informs me that he comes from Terang / Mortlake and he is leading the goalkicking at the Bay, with 30 goals thus far into the competition. Someone else eg. Baysighters or Under the Radar may be more equipped to write this description but i will have a go but i confess i have only ever seen him play the once but have heard high opinions of him from people i respect so i will trust their judgement and place him at number four. Against us he played on the ball for the majority and had huge numbers and played like a quality player, which he obviously is, leading the colac and district player of the year also. It surprises me that he is leading the gaolkicking but that is obviously another weopon in his arsenal and it would not surprise if he played foreard occasionally as well as on the ball. Pity we wont see more of him in the finals as it looks like they will not make it but this bloke can play footy and WILL figure prominently in the league best and fairest come years end.

BAYSIGHTER

Rookie
Mar 18, 2008
forrest
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
fgvg
( Pity we wont see more of him in the finals as it looks like they will not make it) Bit early boom to be saying that. Playing forrest and the big man is back this week so will be in the 5 if beat forrest. Then play Lorne the week after.

Hilly72

All Australian
Mar 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC, Birregurra FC
( Pity we wont see more of him in the finals as it looks like they will not make it) Bit early boom to be saying that. Playing forrest and the big man is back this week so will be in the 5 if beat forrest. Then play Lorne the week after.

Forrest is the side that may miss out if their bad run with injuries continue, Lorne were really good on the weekend and it was a really tough game for Birre who played a mile better than they did against Forrest last week.

May 29, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Alvie FC
OK time for the final three.
No.3-Khan Beckett (Irrewarra Beeac)
Remember keeping his stats in a game for otway last year and he finished with 50 disposals. I know that there is more to it than stats but they are pretty impressive numbers for an on baller in a losing side. He has made the switch to Irrewarra this year perhaps in search of a premiership or lured by big dollars, his motivations are irrelevant in this discussion though. Impeccable skills and the part of his game that he has been able to develope this year is his ability to kick goals. While he only kicked 23 for the year last year, albeit in a lesser side, he has already landed 30 majors this year to be placed in the leagues top ten goalkickers. Beckett has that X-factor which Irrewarra have payed alot to acquire and Irrewarra will be hoping that beckett can help fix what went wrong last year. Only query is how he stands up under pressure and we will see that later in the year. Great kick, great reader of the play and able to accumulate many possessions are three of his biggest strengths and that he is why is number three on this list

May 29, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Alvie FC
NO.2-Tom McCrickard (Alvie)
Where to begin. Will start by saying there is not a player in the competition who can match up well on him. The word that comes to mind when speaking of T-Mac is freak. His athletic ability would not be surpassed in this comp and his movement is simply a pleasure to watch. Huge leap, great pace and agility, great aerobic capacity, and highly skilled, McCrickard has the ability to turn a match on its head and on the wide expanses on the Central Reserve, will more than likely do that. Can play anywhere on the ground, but the last few weeks have seen him playing forward and proving a nightmare for opposition sides. His quickness off the lead sees that he has ten metres on his man by the time he marks the ball and if there is a bloke in his way he will leap over the top of him. Can do the impossible and if you don't know what X-Factor is, have a look at this bloke and you will see why he is number two, unlucky to be edged out of number one, on this list.

May 29, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Alvie FC
Would like to first start with a few apologies. Carl Doolan, ben hood, jacob mason, adam wilkinson, alan alford (yet to watch him play so i could not include him), james turnbull, andrew hill, dan okelly, kevin hinge, dan casey, dave marendez, tyson holt, josh goonan, joel flanagan and luke mccarthy who were all unlucky to miss out. But this years number one player, in my opinion is...

May 29, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Alvie FC
NO.1 -Casey Tully (Lorne)
Lorne's on ball star is my number one player in the competition. He is a proven finals footballer and steps up when he is required most. Has missed matches this year but looks to have settled into this lorne side now is is proving difficult for opposition sides to stop. Chris McGuane commented on Tullys core strength after they played them and said that his blokes cannot tackle him, he is just so strong through the core, bit like Gary Ablett Jnr. Premiership player who is stepping up this year in particular in the absence of some of last years stars and together with alford and jack hollmer later on, is possibly the best on ball brigade in the competition...underneath the best ruckman in the competition also. Hollmers return will free up Tully later on and he is a player to watch in the finals. Great pace and highly skilled, Tully is a genuine star in this competition and while many may argue with this choice of number one player in the comp, get along to the finals and then tell me who is a better player!!!

ps. jack hollmer absentee because i did not include him because he is a geelong player first and a lorne player second.

Gram#1

Debutant
Aug 3, 2007
australia - victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
boom!!! best thread you have ever provided us with
i enjoyed reading your post every day and i would agree with your top 10, though as you said there were some apologies that you mensioned that could be in there. i like that you havent been bias and you have gone with most valuable for this year (based on performance THIS YEAR) rather than caree.

thank-you for this thread boom

Grey Matter

Debutant
Jun 23, 2008
geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
NO.1 -Casey Tully (Lorne)
Lorne's on ball star is my number one player in the competition. He is a proven finals footballer and steps up when he is required most. Has missed matches this year but looks to have settled into this lorne side now is is proving difficult for opposition sides to stop. Chris McGuane commented on Tullys core strength after they played them and said that his blokes cannot tackle him, he is just so strong through the core, bit like Gary Ablett Jnr. Premiership player who is stepping up this year in particular in the absence of some of last years stars and together with alford and jack hollmer later on, is possibly the best on ball brigade in the competition...underneath the best ruckman in the competition also. Hollmers return will free up Tully later on and he is a player to watch in the finals. Great pace and highly skilled, Tully is a genuine star in this competition and while many may argue with this choice of number one player in the comp, get along to the finals and then tell me who is a better player!!!

ps. jack hollmer absentee because i did not include him because he is a geelong player first and a lorne player second.
Really enjoyed the thread Boom. Given the number of new players to the league would you think about a thread the has the best new player each side has picked up this year. :thumbsu:

Mr Magoo74

Rookie
Jun 18, 2008
Ballarat
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Storm
Class effort boom.

I haven't seen much of the CDFL in the last couple of years, but keep a close eye on results and did watch a few finals games last year, and your assessment of Tully as number 1, is as good as anyone could come up with. Tough, fast, fit and skilful, not many more boxes to tick, except for one maybe leadership. And what I witnessed last year, he has it in abundance. I know the classy additions of Hollmer, Stevens and Barham were justifyably noted in last year's GF, but Tully's grunt work in releasing their run is not to be under estimated. I hope to make it down for some more finals this year, and hope even more for my own viewing enjoyment, Lorne & Tully go deep into September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back