Hilly72

All Australian
Mar 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC, Birregurra FC
I thought this might be a good place to add links to articles about the league and players from it. Feel free to post and discuss the articles here.

Hilly72

All Australian
Mar 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Roos re-appoint first-year leader
By Rachel Rodger • Jul 30th, 2008 • Category: Football, Sport

South Colac’s 2008 season is all but over and coach Chris McGuane is already looking to next year.
The Roos’ first-year coach will take the helm again next season and has already started planning for his side to climb the Colac district football ladder.
McGuane, reappointed this week along with reserves coach Mark Lugg, said he believed he could retain his current list and attract new recruits.
McGuane said the club needed a key forward and onballers to help the side and he had started discussions to get new players on board.
“I’ve spoken to a few and hopefully we’ll know with them before Christmas,” he said.

Looks as if South are on the front foot for next season, I wonder if they are planning to spend big next year.

Hilly72

All Australian
Mar 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Team looking for revenge
By Matt Murnane • Jul 28th, 2008 • Category: Football, Sport

Irrewarra-Beeac coach Dan Casey says his team is ready to exact revenge for its only blemish this season.
Not long after the league leaders finished completing another 100-point victory, this time against South Colac, the Bombers quickly turned their attention to next weekend’s top-of-the-table blockbuster against Birregurra.
The second-placed Saints are the only team to have beaten the Bombers this year, by three points back in round seven, ruining Irrewarra-Beeac’s squeaky clean record.
Casey said the Bombers had been awaiting the rematch for some time and were keen to gain a psychological advantage over the Saints for the finals.
“It will be good to come up against Birregurra, who are obviously travelling really well and are the form side of the competition at the moment,” Casey said.
“I don’t think it will be a blow-out whoever wins, last time it was a bit of a slog in pretty ordinary conditions, we couldn’t really get our running game going,” he said.

Looking forward to this weekend, should be an interesting hit out with conditions looking as if they will be no good on the weekend.

May 29, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Alvie FC
Bomber win not enough

By Rachel Rodger • May 12th, 2008 • Category: Football, Sport
It’s a worry for opposition teams when Irrewarra-Beeac coach Dan Casey expects more from his players.
The Bombers finished 139-point winners and had almost 40 more scoring shots than South Colac at the weekend but Casey was still unhappy with his side post-match.
Casey’s assessment of the performance shows the new coach has the bar set high for his side, which recorded its fifth straight 100-plus victory at Elliminyt’s Joiner Reserve.
Casey said he questioned his players about reading too much into their past performances to get them to focus on the task against the Roos.
For the full story, see the current edition of The Colac Herald.
IN FORM: Bomber midfielder Leigh Doyle broke free from South’s Ryan Medley on his way to a five-goal haul.

May 29, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Alvie FC
aints defeat league’s best

By Rachel Rodger • May 19th, 2008 • Category: Football, Sport
Birregurra has proven to the Colac district football community it is the real deal this season.
The Saints toppled league heavyweights Irrewarra-Beeac on Saturday in one of the club’s most memorable victories of the past decade.
The three-point win at Irrewarra Recreation Reserve has enhanced the belief among the Saints’ players and their supporters are riding the excitement, giving the team a rousing reception as it walked from the field.
Saints coach Adam Wilkinson said there was an amazing buzz in the rooms after the win.
For the full story, see the current edition of The Colac Herald.

May 29, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Alvie FC
your a dead-beat boom!

How is that arrogance?

Your hate of IB prejudices any decent s**t that comes out of your loud, big obnoxious mouth!
Prejudice is a fairly strong word as i rate several players from irrewarra (see my top ten) but yes i do hate the club and will not hide that. You asked me to return and and i have but i will not PRETEND to like irrewarra and to please everybody on this board. It is arrogance because one week they win by over a hundred points and he says hes not happy, next week he loses. Just how good does he think they are???

Hilly72

All Australian
Mar 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Irrewarra-Beeac's John Bergman closes on century

Tony Prytz

August 1st, 2008

BY THE law of averages Irrewarra-Beeac reserves full forward John Bergman should kick his 100th goal for the season tomorrow against Birregurra.

The big forward has kicked 94 goals in 14 rounds of football for an average of 6.5 goals a game.

If he does not do it against Birre he has a further two rounds and the finals to get the ton.

Bergman, 38, has been a big part of a remarkable year for the side. The Bombers have a percentage of 552 and sit on top of the ladder with 15 wins. Next best is Alvie on 173 per cent and 12 wins.

Bergman's biggest haul was 19 goals against Western Eagles in round 13.

Bergman is an old style forward in that he is a big spearhead who stays up forward and dominates the goals.

And dominate he does. He started the season with seven goals in round one against Otway Districts and then booted seven, eight and seven in the next three games.

His lowest tally has been two against Birregurra and he missed the game against Simpson in round 14.

Bergman came to the Bombers in 2003 as playing coach of the seniors after being in successful sides up north.

He is happy running around in the reserves. "I have said a few times before that I am retiring but I just can't give it away," he said this week.

For the first 10 years of his career he played as a defender. He moved up forward about 19 years ago.

"I have never kicked 100 before, the best has been about 70 when I was playing in the seniors," he said.

Bombers committee member Paul McCallum was president when Bergman was appointed coach.

"He came here and showed the club what was required to play finals football," McCallum said.

I thought this was an interesting one when it says in the same article that he only kicked 2 against Birre the first time round, should provide some motivation for the backmen.

Hilly72

All Australian
Mar 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Bombers have plans for a rainy weekend
By Rachel Rodger • Aug 1st, 2008 • Category: Football, Sport

The prospect of a wet weekend fails to frighten Irrewarra-Beeac ahead of its blockbuster clash with Birregurra tomorrow.
The Saints out-matched the Bombers in the wet earlier this season but Irrewarra-Beeac coach Dan Casey said similar muddy conditions failed to intimidate his players.
Casey said the Bombers entered the round seven contest with too many big players and would not make a similar mistake if the heavens opened tomorrow.
“We learnt from that and if it’s going to be wet we might look to change it,” he said.
“We’ve got a good group of tall players and good smaller players to pick from too so in that way we’re spoilt for options.”
The competition’s top two teams are in hot form heading into the match at the Saints’ home ground.
The Saints and the Bombers boast five of the competition’s top six goal kickers but the forwards will have a difficult time breaking down their opposition backline.
The two defences mount a strong case as the best in the league, with a mix of talls and players that can quickly turn defence into attack.
The Saints’ defence, led by coach Adam Wilkinson and Luke Phillips, will have a big role to play in stopping the likes of Casey and fellow tall Greg Seiz in the Bombers’ forward line.

Should be a great match, looking forward to see how the teams line up with the chance to get some confidence up before the finals.

Hilly72

All Australian
Mar 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Swans planning to run into form
By Rachel Rodger • Aug 1st, 2008 • Category: Football, Sport

Alvie will aim to run itself into form against Apollo Bay tomorrow – literally.
The Swans have slipped off the boil in the past month and coach Mick Hickey wants his group to run hard against the Hawks to reclaim the form that had them set for a top three finish.
The Bay played its best match of the season against Alvie in round seven, winning by nine points, but Hickey said his team would change its game from the last encounter.
“I think they were a bit bigger in the body for us last time so we’ve just got to get out and run,” he said.
“If we can play our running style we should be fine whereas if we kick it to packs we might be in trouble.”
The Swans, coming off a bye last round, have slipped to fourth and appear set to stay there with the run home, while Apollo Bay is a game outside the top five.
The Hawks would need a miracle to play finals, starting with an upset win tomorrow on the Swans’ home turf.

This rival the Birre vs IB game as match of the round, the Bay looked much better last week and with Alvie a little bit off could turn into a real batle.

May 29, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Alvie FC
I thought this was an interesting one when it says in the same article that he only kicked 2 against Birre the first time round, should provide some motivation for the backmen.
yeah well melon kicked 14 today and went past burgers bergman. 3 more for the ton

Melon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bergman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hilly72

All Australian
Mar 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Home-grown players make winning clubs
By Rachel Rodger • Aug 6th, 2008 • Category: Football, Sport

Lorne footballers are challenging the idea that clubs have to secure big-name recruits to be successful.
Lorne is second on the ladder this season with more than two thirds of its list coming up through the club’s junior ranks.
Granted the Dolphins’ late season surge coincides with the inclusion of a couple of big recruits, but they boast one of the most home-grown lists in Colac District Football League.
The Colac Herald wanted to see whether on-field success followed the clubs which recruited heavily this season, or whether junior development could be just as beneficial in country football.
We looked at each CDFL playing list to determine which footballers played their junior football with the club.
Players had to have played at least five senior games this year and we’ve included under-17 players that have played a senior game.
Lorne’s success is remarkable given the town’s population of about 1000 permanent residents
Dolphins coach Lee Hollmer said his list included a few 200-game players and about 10 who had emerged from under-17s in the past three years.
“Why go out and chase players when you’ve got them in your own back yard,” Hollmer said.

Interesting article considering their history, I am sure in the ealy 2000's these guys were recruiting as much if not more than anyone else.

Hilly72

All Australian
Mar 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Payments cast doubt over football’s future
By Rachel Rodger • Aug 6th, 2008 • Category: Football, Sport

Colac district football leaders say money paid to footballers will make it tough for clubs to survive in the next 10 years.
The challenge of meeting player payments to achieve on-field success is putting financial strain on clubs and officials say teams might fail to stay afloat if the trend in country football continues.
Western Eagles president Bede McGuane said he foresaw a bleak future for country football if clubs continued to pay big dollars to attract players.
“Country footy in five years will be very different, there’s a hell of a lot of financial pressure on clubs to stay in touch,” Mr McGuane said.
“Personally I don’t believe in buying players because it’s not good for the long-term stability or success of a club,” he said.
“Country footy isn’t about lining footballer’s pockets, that’s not what it’s about.”
Alvie senior coach Mick Hickey said clubs that bought players would need to get four or five years service from them to be worth while.
“With the way footy is going and the money that’s about you put success on the back burner a bit because it’s pretty important clubs are viable over the next ten years,” he said.

There is a theme building in the Colac Herald... how do they expect anyone but the Colac sides to be competive if there is no money spent, the smaller clubs have to spend money to get numbers up and if you are spending it you might as well spend it on decent players.

May 29, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Alvie FC
There is a theme building in the Colac Herald... how do they expect anyone but the Colac sides to be competive if there is no money spent, the smaller clubs have to spend money to get numbers up and if you are spending it you might as well spend it on decent players.
YEAH I AGREE. I think that Weagles are currently the only club really in danger of folding, but that has much to do with the people out there. Good people in charge eg. Damien Melican at Birregurra, will keep a club afloat and eventually they will bounce back. Dunno about Eagles whether they have the right people out there to make that happen though.

Grey Matter

Debutant
Jun 23, 2008
geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
The truth is ( all be it sadly) that country footy IS about lining the pockets of high quality footballers. There has never yet been a coach appointed who at interview has told the club he expects to lead them to the wooden spoon. Success onfield is what supporters and sponsors expect and this can only be achieved by having the on field talent at your disposal. If your club cannot provide it you either buy it, make up the numbers or fade away. As a coach you know full well that 75% of your outside contract players will not be there in 3 years time or will leave when the money runs out but you also know that the pool of players chasing the dollar is pretty deep so replacing them is not that difficult. This is how it works in country footy all over not just the cdfl. In a perfect world we have each club represented by 100% local content but as we all know we dont live in a perfect world and will just have to settle for what we have. Be interesting to see who the best side in the comp would be if the cdfl brought in a rule that all players at a club must live within say 10ks of the ground...any thoughts:)

May 29, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Alvie FC
The truth is ( all be it sadly) that country footy IS about lining the pockets of high quality footballers. There has never yet been a coach appointed who at interview has told the club he expects to lead them to the wooden spoon. Success onfield is what supporters and sponsors expect and this can only be achieved by having the on field talent at your disposal. If your club cannot provide it you either buy it, make up the numbers or fade away. As a coach you know full well that 75% of your outside contract players will not be there in 3 years time or will leave when the money runs out but you also know that the pool of players chasing the dollar is pretty deep so replacing them is not that difficult. This is how it works in country footy all over not just the cdfl. In a perfect world we have each club represented by 100% local content but as we all know we dont live in a perfect world and will just have to settle for what we have. Be interesting to see who the best side in the comp would be if the cdfl brought in a rule that all players at a club must live within say 10ks of the ground...any thoughts:)
would not work. alvie, birre, irrewarra, otway etc. all the country sides would be unable to field sides. Obviously south and imps would be the best as they have all of colac to work with.

chiefcharging

Rookie
Apr 7, 2008
Colac
AFL Club
Geelong
YEAH I AGREE. I think that Weagles are currently the only club really in danger of folding, but that has much to do with the people out there. Good people in charge eg. Damien Melican at Birregurra, will keep a club afloat and eventually they will bounce back. Dunno about Eagles whether they have the right people out there to make that happen though.
i do agree that eagles r in trouble but i do believe there are the people to get us out of it. Bede McGuane is a fantastic bloke and i think he has 2 much pride for the club 2 let it go down without a fight.

May 29, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Alvie FC
Footballers aim to kick century

By Rachel Rodger • Aug 8th, 2008 • Category: Football, Sport

Two Colac district footballers will keep a close eye on each other’s performance when their teams clash tomorrow.
Alvie’s Jarrod Murnane and Irrewarra-Beeac’s John Bergman are close to kicking the magical century and the pair square off in the top-of-the-table Colac and District Football League’s reserves clash.
Bergman, on 94 goals, was on track to win the race to 100 goals but missed last round through injury, leaving Murnane, 97 goals, to surge past him with a 14-goal haul against Apollo Bay.
The pair met yesterday but made no attempt to put the other off his game ahead of the clash.
In fact, both were low key about the chance to kick their first century.
Murnane said team success was his focus with finals looming for the second-placed Swans.
“I’d rather win the game, I don’t really care if I don’t even make it. I’d rather the side plays well with us coming up to finals,” he said.
Bergman said he wanted to reach 100 on the same day as Murnane.
“I’d like to get there on the same day but I don’t really care who gets there first,” he said. GOAL: Jarrod Murnane and John Bergman both have 100 goals within reach.

take out the bit about bergman and its quite a good read

Hilly72

All Australian
Mar 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Casey leads by example for Irrewarra-Beeac

August 18th, 2008

IRREWARRA-Beeac captain Daniel Casey has again lead his charges to a comprehensive victory by booting five goals in the win against Apollo Bay in the final round of the CDFL home and away season for 2008.

After the 24.18 (162) to 11.7 (73) victory, Casey was quick to dismiss his contribution as "five easy ones" but with his team on the verge of another premiership campaign, Casey's forward input and efforts all over the ground were significant in holding his team together with a confidence-boosting victory away from home.

Conditions were cold and blustery at the Apollo Bay Recreation Reserve, with a strong wind heavily favouring one end of the ground.

The paddock itself, however, was in a pristine state.

"Ground conditions were perfect, probably the best ground we've played at all year," Casey said.

Hosts Apollo Bay began the day well, kicking 5.2 while managing to restrict the minor premier to 3.1.

The lead didn't last for long as the Bombers began to apply the pressure that has seen them win 17 games from 18 starts this season.

"Our last half was probably our best half. We played pretty ordinary in the first, but pretty happy with the win," Casey said.

Troy Keating, Xavier Meade and Shane Black all gave solid performances in the victory, as did ruckman Matt Monk who showed his diversity by moving up to the forward pocket and equalling his captain's haul with five majors himself.

The Hawks' Rhet Lock and Damien O'Connor ended the day with three goals each.

Their endeavour in conjunction with that of rover Tyson Holt kept the scoreboard somewhat respectable 10.7 to 14.12 at the final break.

In the last quarter, the depth of the Bombers' talent was truly on display as they added a further 10 goals to their score while holding their opposition to just one major.

The Bay has had a mixed 2008 season with nine wins and nine losses to end the year in sixth position on the table.

For Irrewarra-Beeac, its season is still very much alive.

"We'll probably train pretty hard Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday morning. Then go over and watch Lorne versus Birre," Casey said.

"It'll be good for us to have a bit of a run out because we have a few things that we need to work on. It's good to have the week off though. We still have six top-10 players to come back which is good. We've been playing with three key talls and three key smalls out, so it will be great to have them back," Casey said.

"We have come close the last two years and we've got to work hard to get it, but we have to get there first. We are just really looking forward to our first semi-final and whoever we play will be a real test.

"We are a lot quicker. We recruited a lot of quicker, young kids. And we've got a different game plan from what we did last year. We are a lot quicker and a lot stronger so hopefully we do go well. But first we have to work on that first final."

I haven't seen anything on the Colac Herald website as yet relating to this coming weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back