Delisted Cedric Cox (2016-2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit of Blacky the way he seems to find time and space, assesses and delivers on the chest.

So true. What I particularly liked was it was evident that when his target had some space, he took the heat off of it to make their marking easy, but when they were under the hammer he drilled it to give the defender no chance. I know it was a tailored highlights package but I cannot recall a better short kicking sample. Play him at half forward to begin, and watch the number of our gettable set shots soar.

Spoke with him at the meet and greet today. A very likable guy. Said he went to Melbourne to get on an AFL list and now he has was going to work hard to make it. Said he has family here so figures he will settle in well. Looks and personality wise he reminded me so much of Johnathan Thurston.

If he has his laugh he'll instantly be my favourite player.

Cedric moves a lot like Andrew MacLeod IMO.

I'm not saying he'll be anywhere near as good; just that there are similarities. Of course some of his disposal can improve, but of our new recruits, Cedric is the one that has impressed me by far.

Cedric moves a lot like Andrew MacLeod IMO.

I'm not saying he'll be anywhere near as good; just that there are similarities. Of course some of his disposal can improve, but of our new recruits, Cedric is the one that has impressed me by far.
Yeah at the moment his problem is the tempo, which is only natural for a draftee. Lots to like

Yeah, I reckon it took Hugh 3 weeks to truly get a lock on the speed that AFL footballers close down gaps. You think you have 2 seconds, turns out you only had 1 - whether that's the tackler on you or the spoiler on the guy you're kicking to.

Cedric is measuring off kicks to blokes 4M clear of their nearest opponent - which has been plenty in there past. There was one in the first 5 minutes on Saturday. Was a beautiful, flat aggressive pass, but MacLean (I think) got a lunging finger in and chaos ensued.

Another week and he'll have the radar reset for AFL closing speeds. He'll hit that every time.

Yeah, I reckon it took Hugh 3 weeks to truly get a lock on the speed that AFL footballers close down gaps. You think you have 2 seconds, turns out you only had 1 - whether that's the tackler on you or the spoiler on the guy you're kicking to.

Cedric is measuring off kicks to blokes 4M clear of their nearest opponent - which has been plenty in there past. There was one in the first 5 minutes on Saturday. Was a beautiful, flat aggressive pass, but MacLean (I think) got a lunging finger in and chaos ensued.

Another week and he'll have the radar reset for AFL closing speeds. He'll hit that every time.
Yeah agreed. I'm not even remotely concerned with his disposal errors. He is a beautiful kick off both feet and once he adjusts to the speed of AFL and gains some confidence he'll hit all of his targets at senior level like he does at NEAFL and did in the juniors.

How good was his chase down tackle!? I can't wait for that to become a regular feature of his game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe we need to leave him in the forward line until he gets up to pace. We can't afford him giving our opponents the ball so often in the back half.

Maybe we need to leave him in the forward line until he gets up to pace. We can't afford him giving our opponents the ball so often in the back half.

I wouldn't be against that. He could make a few rundown tackles and snag a goal or two with a tiny bit of luck. He'll need a rest at some point too, but he's on an upswing - let him go with it.

Cox nominated for Goal of the Year
Cedric Cox has been nominated for the AFL's Goal of the Year following a stunning bomb against Carlton yesterday at the Gabba.

The goal, which was Cox's first in the AFL, showcased his incredible skill and confidence to take the game on.

The wonder goal was made even more memorable by the fact Cox was smashed into the ground after he kicked, but the young star was quick to bounce back up and celebrate.

Cox is up against Jarrad Waite and Hugh Greenwood for this week's best goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back