Certified Legendary Thread Celebrating Alastair Clarkson! 4 time Premiership coach and Legend of the HFC!

Remove this Banner Ad

It's time to say thanks, to the master coach who took us to glory 4 times over! šŸ˜

There's nothing I can write here that will sum up the amazing feeling of the 4 flags Clarko delivered to this club, or the numerous big wins over the journey.

So I'll just start this thread off by saying thanks Clarko for all that you brought to the HFC, and I'd ask that that everyone pass on their well wishes, share a story or memory and maybe even a moment that will always stick with you, like this one for me.

D5E4B277-7D07-4A13-8893-B48005E1F6DD.jpeg

Note: Please keep this to celebrating the great man and all that he has done for the club.

This season preview from a few years back gives an incredible overview of his legacy at the club and how he helped the club from it's knees to the powerhouse it is today.

Clarko is a Hawthorn and AFL legend through and through and always will be. Thanks for all of the joy you've brought to every single Hawks supporter over the past 17 years!

Giant of our football club. Forever cemented in Hawthorn history. Single-handedly changed my experience of following football as a kid and crying after losing every game by 50+ to being the most successful club during the time I've been alive.

Thanks for everything mate.

Very few people can make the claim that they impacted not only the club, but the very sport itself. A true titan of the game in every way possible.

Thank you for everything Clarko. Words cannot express just how much awe, appreciation and love you have inspired over the years. Good luck for the future.

It's time to say thanks, to the master coach who took us to glory 4 times over! šŸ˜

There's nothing I can write here that will sum up the amazing feeling of the 4 flags Clarko delivered to this club, or the numerous big wins over the journey.

So I'll just start this thread off by saying thanks Clarko for all that you brought to the HFC, and I'd ask that that everyone pass on their well wishes, share a story or memory and maybe even a moment that will always stick with you, like this one for me.

View attachment 1209189

Note: Please keep this to celebrating the great man and all that he has done for the club.

That is one of my fav all time images in football that.

Apart from all the premierships and stirring wins, I always loved watching him in the box losing his s**t, the hole in the wall punch was the best:tongueclosed:.
But good luck Clarko in what ever you do in the future thanks for the memories.

Good luck and thank you Clarko. You helped deliver Hawthorn 4 flags, you helped encourage our players to grow holistically and you you also drove Hawks involvement in community service endeavours in regional areas in their time of need. You join the ilks of the Hawkā€™s legend John Kennedy. You didnā€™t just think, but you motivated, inspired and DID. We are truly indebted for all you have done and the legacy of success you have continued at the Hawthorn footy club. All the best for the future, Clarko!

Here's a little piece I found that was made to celebrate Clarko's 200 games as coach midway through the 2013 season. The rest is history...

Thanks for the memories Clarko, it was an awesome ride.

The all-time great Hawthorn names:

Kennedy, Tuck, Lethal, Jeans, Hodge, Joyce, Dunstall, Dicker, Dermott, Ayres, Dipper, Clarkson, Mitchell......

His name sits extremely proudly and comfortably in that lot.

Absolute GIANT of the club and the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was happy to get within arms reach of the great man last Saturday as I joined in with everyone as he recieved a rousing send off.

Its almost like a full circle for me because I had my photo taken with him at the North Hobart footy ground after a pre season session in 2005, when things were still pretty grim and now he is about to leave us.

The pic is on a shelf in my man cave and it is fair to say we both look worse for wear.

Thank you Clarko for everything and no matter what you do from here on in, you will always remain a HFC Legend.

He'll have more than one statue, that's all that needs to be said. His lasting impact on coaching in general will be the additional focus on being a "teacher" and the soft skills side of the coaching business, the empathetic side. The type of modern day coaching that is now all through the league.

My favourite story will always be the shark on the whiteboard before the 2008 Grand Final.

Last edited:
iu

One of my favorite Clarko memories was very early in his coaching tenure where he tore a journo (I believe it may have been Hutchy?) to shreds (I believe it was off air whilst he was a guest on Footy Classified on the Monday night) over a question this journo asked our Captain Richie Vandenberg in a weekend interview.. It was something like "do you think you would be getting game if you weren't the captain".. Richie was gobsmacked by the question and Clarko let the jouno know about it by all reports.

Superlatives just don't cut it for the man, the man we were so bloody fortunate to have at our great club for 17 years.

Clarko, you were a one and only, a brilliant innovator who changed the way footy was played, changed the way coaches coached and set the standards for club culture throughout the AFL.

Thank you for some of the most joyous moments of my footy supporting life.

Take a bow Clarko and again...thank you.

He has been a truly inspirational part of HFC. A great and passionate human being. When he was first appointed as a relatively untried coach I remember having a feeling that it would work out okay - that the board had done a good job - and I'm so happy to say that it worked out beyond my expectations. Well done Clarko, and thanks for everything you have done for the club.

All been said many times over about his contribution to the club and how he took us from a basket case to a super team.

Can candidly say he has played a massive role from afar (as a virtual mentor) on how we've run our business and maintained our relationships. "How would Clarko deal with this? yep roll the sleeves up...etc" "Is that the sort of behaviour you want to see yourself known for?"

I hoped he would keep on rolling on as coach for a few more years, but am also looking forward to his next challenge.

All the best Clarko!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back