Certified Legendary Thread Celebrating Alastair Clarkson! 4 time Premiership coach and Legend of the HFC!

Remove this Banner Ad

I am so disappointed we can't honour Clarko (and Burgoyne) in person this weekend. Gutted. These legends deserve to be chaired off to a standing ovation at the MCG.

Hopefully when crowds are allow, next year, the club can organise either a supporters day, or something on game day where we can show our appreciation to these giants of the club.

(Guess supporters will have to do a standing ovation at the 4 min mark of the 4th quarter to honour the great man)

Been following the hawks since 96 and boy did we have some lean years during that period, we went through a few coaches like judge schwab Connelly to name a few I didn't think I was ever going to see a flag, however Enter 2004 and the chief appoints Clarko and we draft buddy roughy, Lewis and straight away you could feel a change in the wind and the beginning of dynasty.

It's hard to explain the joy to see your team come from the grave (talking about the merger) getting smacked round after round for 10 good years to witness 4 flags and clarko was the main reason for it. Look at the current coaches and you'll realise that half of them were clarkos apprentice's.

So thank you clarko for 17 wonderful years i doubt we will see a better coach in our lifetime.

I leave here some of my favourite moments of clarko

images - 2021-08-19T010901.910.jpeg punch-wall-alistair-clarkson.gif images - 2021-08-19T020711.569.jpeg images - 2021-08-19T011513.130.jpeg images - 2021-08-19T020808.772.jpeg images - 2021-08-19T013504.451.jpeg

Absolute King.

As a young fella I was lucky enough to attend Clarko's first game in charge vs Sydney at the SCG (as lucky as you can be to watch a 63 point drubbing - https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2005/101620050327.html)

There was a supporter function after the game and I remember Clarko being grilled during the fan Q&A with things like "is this what we should expect each week with you in charge?" being thrown around. If only we knew back then... :trophy::trophy::trophy::trophy:

Nick roo couldn’t help adding to ‘revolutionised the game’ with and now we re all trying to figure out how to fix the game, thanks clarko

let’s help Roo also shares the sentiment with a certain former coach of his, who stuffed up the game far far more

THANK YOU, Alistair Clarkson, a legend of Hawthorn and AFL. The best coach of the modern era and drove the club to ultimate success FOUR times. Your legacy is not only evident at Hawthorn but also at most clubs, particularly the clubs that have tasted recent successes.

Had the pleasure of meeting the great man days after the Hawks most recent Kokoda Track challenge. Was humble enough to stop and have a brief chat, despite the obvious signs of being tired after that ordeal.

For all those dissenters I am not going to repeat the ad nauseum. But I am truly, truly sad !!
Tops we are all very sad.

But now all we can do is celebrate the great man and wish him well.

We also must after Saturday put all our support behind Sammy, because he has massive ******* shoes to fill.

Being 14 at the time when he took over he has been the only coach the club has had for my adult life. Absolutely blessed with footy memories that I will remember for the rest of my life.

Our style of play was so beautiful to watch when up and going and being able to see 3 grand final wins in person is the envy of most of my mates.

He is a legend of the game and I am sad to see him go. Hopefully there will be a statue of him in the not too distant future out at Dingley

All the best Clarko!

Thank you Clarko.

We are all love you, 😭😭😭.
Humble champion who cares about people.

Watching all the videos and I can't stop crying.
Nothing but respect for the man that not only impacting the club but also the competition.

Once again Thank you Clarko ♥️♥️♥️.

He's been at the helm during so many moments of excitement and brilliance since I've been a member and supporter. It's been a fabulous ride with so many wonderful memories.

I dug out the 2008 box set and watched the season review with my offspring who were very young that year and the overwhelming response from all of us was "Far out, we were excitingly good."

During his years as a coach we've been better than good. We've been great. Played great attacking football and changed the way sides defend.

Thank you. Enjoy the next chapter of your life, Alastair.

This is the time to remember
Cause it will not last forever.

Remember hearing this song driving from Glenferrie Oval after the 1988 grand final celebrations, if my memory serves me correctly. Didn't think we would get to celebrate another era like the 80's, then along came Clarko.

Thanks for everything Clarko. You probably have no idea what joy you have brought to the Hawthorn faithful over the last 17 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Recorded 360 and watched earlier today. What a great man. So distinguished and honourable to the last and despite the end not being what he wanted, you can still feel the Hawks blood coursing through his veins.

I think him still being a great coach, and the Hawks needing to move on, can be both right at the same time. Sometimes a change is needed due to tenure as much as anything, despite the man still having the game to be great. Best wishes to him if he does land somewhere else and it will be to that club's great fortune.

I'm confident that if Clarko himself didn't have faith the Hawks would be in good hands with Mitch, that he wouldn't have been so readily and warmly moved on in the end.

Thanks Clarko. You're a legend.

Last edited:
Recorded 360 and watched earlier today. What a great man. So distinguished and honourable to the last and despite the end not being what he wanted, you can still feel the Hawks blood coursing through his veins.

I think him still being a great coach, and the Hawks needing to move on, can be both right at the same time. Sometimes a change is needed due to tenure as much as anything, despite the man still having the game to be great. Best wishes to him if he does land somewhere else and it will be to that club's great fortune.

I'm confident that if Clarko himself didn't have faith the Hawks would be in good hands with Mitch, that he wouldn't have been so readily and warmly moved on in the end.

Thanks Clarko. You're a legend.

Well said Minerboy.

I have no doubt that the last two years have strained the relationship, having to move on 30-40% of your staff would have been traumatic, the hubs, the restrictions, the uncertainty. What is so pleasing is the separation after the initial shock, from the outside it appears to be amicable with Clarko smiling and looking relaxed and hopefully some time in the future he can be welcomed back in some role.

Thank you Clarko, you have brought great joy to me and my family.

I sincerely hope that we get a chance to come together to celebrate Clarko in person.

I think it would be wonderful if we can have a ‘family day’ type event at Glenferrie.

Difficult to comprehend its all happened so quickly. He will go down as one of the legends of Hawthorn. All the best Clarko on your future endevours. You should consider becoming president. As others have said sad to see you going. Unfortunately nothing in this life lasts forever.

Superb tactician, even better people person. Gave everything, never took a backward step, committed to our club and his team.

All things must end and this should have ended with a pure outpouring of unconfined joy and celebration rather than rumour and rancour, it was the least he deserved.

Thanks, go well

I remember when he was first appointed coach..I was like "WTF..Him...Clarkson...Really"...in 2008 gave me possibly the happiest day of my life.
Rebuilt the team again..and gave us our long awaited return the throne with the 3Peat.
Thanks 4 it all.

I remember when he was first appointed coach..I was like "WTF..Him...Clarkson...Really"...in 2008 gave me possibly the happiest day of my life.
Rebuilt the team again..and gave us our long awaited return the throne with the 3Peat.
Thanks 4 it all.
I've got newspaper clippings here reporting his announcement as coach. I should dig them out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back