Entertainment & Music Celebrity Obsession

Remove this Banner Ad

I've made my thoughts on Taylor well known around here, so this is a good thread to address it. I wouldn't call it diehard stalking, I didn't camp out at her hotel room or wait at the airport for her to arrive. I did go to the rep Tour, I've spent a bundle on tickets and merch, and I do listen to her music pretty much every day as well as following her social media and keeping up with news articles about her (mostly to keep up on details of her new album). I like to consider myself as a 'just a huge fan', I don't think I've crossed the line into stalking yet

As for Geelong players and the club, I enjoy following what the players are up to on Instagram. Seeing them around though is sort of a non-event, heading to GMHBA Stadium and seeing players isn't unusual, I think I might take how close I am to the club and the players for granted. I read and follow pretty much everything Cats-related. But sports teams are different to musicians, I would consider myself obsessed with the Cats. I get very emotionally involved in our matches and in the club as a whole (I may have cried when Gary left when I was eight, and came close when he returned).

auscelebs forum is a pretty good example. people capping the news every day just for the chance of seeing some random tv journo's cleavage.

but to answer your question, i don't find celebrities all that interesting. too busy cyberstalking everyone i ever meet to have enough time to follow the lives of celebrities.

It’s sad. They’re just people. The media is to blame for the ridiculous pandering and beat up they facilitate over ‘celebrities’. Wouldn’t know who half of them are. I knew a girl who went on the bachelor once, she had this over inflated sense of importance due to it, people asked me if I saw her on it and my opinion was that it was sad and embarrassing for her, if I want to meet a girl I’ll find one at the pub. I mean all she’s done is flaunt her emotions and vulnerabilities on national television to meet some guy? And now people have an opinion on her because of it? It’s sad. She’s also seriously insecure and fake.

I think the term celebrity though has now extended to so many ‘people’ on ridiculous reality television programs. I mean a winner of big brother or MKR isn’t a celebrity. The Australian media aside from specific outlets also doesn’t really report news, it reports trivia, so generally people are dumbed down by entertainment and not news. All of a sudden the loser of MKR is the ‘celebrity’ guest on the Today Show.

It’s all fake bullshit, perpetuated from an out of touch Sydney media for the mort part. I mean, these commercial outlets peddled the wedding of Karl Stefanovic as the no.1 headline for months. The guy is nothing but a fake conceited and arrogant flog who shelved his wife for a younger piece and probably spent hundreds of thousands on some ridiculously stupid wedding. He even got sacked for being out of touch with his audience. Is that a celebrity?

People have become so insecure and obsessed with other people it’s just created this sad merry go round where we look to every avenue to create ways to entertaining rather than actually anything meaningful.

Who cares, we’re all people with an expiration date.

read and follow pretty much everything Cats-related. But sports teams are different to musicians, I would consider myself obsessed with the Cats. I get very emotionally involved in our matches and in the club as a whole (I may have cried when Gary left when I was eight, and came close when he returned).

This was me, circa 1993-2000ish.

Not anymore. I wouldnt even cry over Grand Final losses.
Ok maybe GF losses but thats it. Not prelims or players leaving.

Nothing grates my cheese more than when you're at a pub with a few friends and some footballer is there with a few mates and everyone keeps looking at them and or telling every new person that arrives that "look, there's Sam Jacobs from the Crows".

Ok mate.

Have had beers with a few well known people over the years (Bryan Brown, Ricky Ponting, Eric Bana, Mark Bosnich, Brett Holman, Adam Cooney, Simon Black) and nothing is more cringy than when you're having a normal discussion with these people and you see people staring for 15 minutes then approach with "are you Eric Bana? Can I get a photo?" Then they walk away.

Imagine putting up with that crap every time you went out. No thanks.

On celebrity and actually achieving something really important. Peter Doherty:

“Once you win a Nobel Prize you achieve a level of fame about the equivalent of a minor figure in a coffee commercial that hasn’t run for 3 years. In Australia, particularly, you can walk down the street and no one knows who the hell you are.”

So, talentless instagram influencers, or people who,work out stuff like curing cancer.

I have to admit I've never been into celebrity. I enjoy public figures for their work, I don't follow them on social media or track their personal lives and gossip mag shenanigans. I've never desired an autograph or selfie from a celebrity. There are several figures who'll I'll type into google semi-regularly to keep track of what they might be up to, but work-focused, what I can look forward to from them.

I guess some people just enjoy discussing and speculating on the lives of others. My parents get off on that, like yarn-spinning characters from a Faulkner novel. I couldn't care less. I guess I separate art from artist (like enjoying Tomic's tennis and being oblivious to what tool pandemonium he creates off-court). Celebrity thankfully doesn't really intrude much on my daily life, I tend to gravitate to enthusiast circles.

Last edited:
Actors, particularly big name actors, are the most overrated people on the planet and people who idolise them make me sick.

Writers, directors, cinematographers, lighting crew, sound crew...These are the dudes and dudettes who make the difference, but because actors are the only ones you see they get pumped up to be much more important than what they are.

Lots of people can act, but Hollywood loves to push the idea that there are a select few superstars among the acting fraternity so that they can continue to sell movies by attaching their names to them. Most of the biggest stars were already super rich and from Hollywood families before they got famous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actors, particularly big name actors, are the most overrated people on the planet and people who idolise them make me sick.

Writers, directors, cinematographers, lighting crew, sound crew...These are the dudes and dudettes who make the difference, but because actors are the only ones you see they get pumped up to be much more important than what they are.

Lots of people can act, but Hollywood loves to push the idea that there are a select few superstars among the acting fraternity so that they can continue to sell movies by attaching their names to them. Most of the biggest stars were already super rich and from Hollywood families before they got famous.
The other big thing with actors (and musicians) is that a lot of them were on that route from their teens meaning they basically checked out of high school. Now, checking out of high school is fine, but when people hang on every word these people have to say about politics and science etc. they should bear that in mind.

I can understand how kids and teenagers develop celebrity crushes on actors, musicians, sports people and the like. I think all of us can name at least one celebrity crush from childhood - when I was about 12 I had a crush on one of the girls from Young Talent Time. One guy I knew had a childhood crush on Jennine Mapp, the tall, attractive blonde girl from Saturday Disney in the early-mid 1990s. A female work colleague had a crush on Nathan Buckley from Collingwood when she was a teenager. It's all harmless and perfectly normal.

But its not normal for adults to behave the same way. For example, if a girl went to see Titanic in 1997 at the age of 15 and she got a crush on Leonardo DiCaprio, that's perfectly normal. It wouldn't be normal if she was absolutely obsessed by him aged 37 more than 20 years later, spending her time looking him up online, watching his movies obsessively, writing fan fiction about either his characters or him personally, and day dreaming of meeting him in person one day.

I'm anti celebrity culture to the point where I won't even watch or listen to 99% of interviews with Freo players. I'm only interested in what they do out on the field, I have little interest in them as people. I sure as hell don't follow them on social media, except one ex-Docker I know in real life.

If I'm out and about and see Pav (for example), I will do the quick 'look there's Pav' to my companions, but I never approach them or bother them for anything. Pretty cringeworthy for anyone who isn't a kid to do that I reckon.

While we're on the subject, I think celebrity reporters are one of the lowest professions in all of society.

Nothing but glorified stalkers promoting a shallow culture of image obsession.

auscelebs forum is a pretty good example. people capping the news every day just for the chance of seeing some random tv journo's cleavage.

but to answer your question, i don't find celebrities all that interesting. too busy cyberstalking everyone i ever meet to have enough time to follow the lives of celebrities.
Hah! Auscelebs. Did use to use this for uh personal entertainment when I was a teenager.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nothing grates my cheese more than when you're at a pub with a few friends and some footballer is there with a few mates and everyone keeps looking at them and or telling every new person that arrives that "look, there's Sam Jacobs from the Crows".

Ok mate.

Have had beers with a few well known people over the years (Bryan Brown, Ricky Ponting, Eric Bana, Mark Bosnich, Brett Holman, Adam Cooney, Simon Black) and nothing is more cringy than when you're having a normal discussion with these people and you see people staring for 15 minutes then approach with "are you Eric Bana? Can I get a photo?" Then they walk away.

Imagine putting up with that crap every time you went out. No thanks.
I would love to meet Bozza. Absolute cult hero. The guy’s a gag machine and not on purpose.

Me and a mate were at Lounge in Melbourne CBD a few years ago knocking ales and my mate kept asking who this guy near us was. We both realised he used to do the graveyard or early morning shifts on Fox Sports News - something me and my mate used to just watch out of habit as teenagers.

We kinda timed a run to the bar and I asked him ‘how you goin?’ and he said hi. I just straight out asked ‘disappointed Bozza isn’t with you... what’s he actually like?’ and this presenter just laughed and shook his head ‘ah oh, he’s Boz... yeah...’

Seems like a *in unit.

While we're on the subject, I think celebrity reporters are one of the lowest professions in all of society.

Nothing but glorified stalkers promoting a shallow culture of image obsession.
To be fair the celebs are also spruiking themselves.

Some of those '' oh boy doesnt Ginger look glam on a Sunday stroll exclusives'' are started by the celeb

I once walked three blocks out of my way because Monfries was walking in front of me and he was wearing tight trousers. That's as close I've ever got to stalking.

The worst day of my life when Gus went to Port.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back