Central Highlands FL 2022

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Big news for the CHFL & the rest of AFL Goldfields. I doubt any changes will be made for the 2018 season but a big shake up looks imminent.

Interesting. Similar thing happened up at home with the Mallee League being disbanded and clubs merging/moving to neighbouring leagues. Worked out ok for most with Ouyen winning and the Southern Mallee Giants winning flags in their new leagues, Jeparit Rainbow were more competitive and Sea Lake will finish top 2 in their new league. Only one club pulled the pin altogether.

These things have to happen if we are to continue to have country footy. Change is hard but we have to get our heads around it otherwise the continued decline will only increase in pace

morgdogga

Cancelled
May 11, 2011
wedderburn
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
everton
Interesting. Similar thing happened up at home with the Mallee League being disbanded and clubs merging/moving to neighbouring leagues. Worked out ok for most with Ouyen winning and the Southern Mallee Giants winning flags in their new leagues, Jeparit Rainbow were more competitive and Sea Lake will finish top 2 in their new league. Only one club pulled the pin altogether.

These things have to happen if we are to continue to have country footy. Change is hard but we have to get our heads around it otherwise the continued decline will only increase in pace
Sorry Roota, cant agree with these puppets of the AFL forcing change upon any clubs or leagues. This is only the thin edge of the wedge, has nothing to do with the survival or financial future of clubs or leagues, just a desire of the AFL to control ground roots footy without taking into account what people want.

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Sorry Roota, cant agree with these puppets of the AFL forcing change upon any clubs or leagues. This is only the thin edge of the wedge, has nothing to do with the survival or financial future of clubs or leagues, just a desire of the AFL to control ground roots footy without taking into account what people want.

There are too many clubs these days. Clubs need to get on the front foot and make decisions for their futures or they will be in strife. Can't keep doing the same as we always have.

I do take your point about AFL vic forcing this upon clubs but clubs need to use it as a trigger to get proactive

Downtroden

Senior List
May 28, 2008
lara
AFL Club
Collingwood
Think you will find the struggling clubs asked goldfields to do something, because they couldn't survive in the league as it is. Might be hard on a couple of clubs, but for the majority it was the only way they could see light at the end of the tunnel. Some of the bottom clubs will never improve enough to even be competitive. But in a lower league there some chance. Don't be surprised if the clubs vote for it to start next year. Why waste another year knowing your going to finish bottom six.

CyHy

Debutant
Mar 29, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Think you will find the struggling clubs asked goldfields to do something, because they couldn't survive in the league as it is. Might be hard on a couple of clubs, but for the majority it was the only way they could see light at the end of the tunnel. Some of the bottom clubs will never improve enough to even be competitive. But in a lower league there some chance. Don't be surprised if the clubs vote for it to start next year. Why waste another year knowing your going to finish bottom six.
yeah, regarding the CHFL there are too many clubs for one league, it's all been said before but there's just too many. Recruitment is a lot harder when you've got to poach players from teams within the same league. You look at the difference with the LVFL & HDFL near Bendigo and players can move between leagues without having to play against their old clubs. While loyalty isn't as big anymore it certainly still is a factor.

A new league is probably the way to go. It'd be a weak league as we speak but it'd be competitive.

CyHy

Debutant
Mar 29, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon

The difference here is a new league would be created with the weaker sides, not moving these teams to current leagues. Half of the proposed teams came from the disbanded Lexton Plains league anyway so i can't see them being too attached to the CHFL.

I feel for the teams that have been in the CHFL for years that would be getting shafted against their wish.

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
Congratulations to Hepburn Springs (the Burras) and commiserations to the Beaufort supporters. A great game of good old fashioned competative footy. The Burras were victorious but the Crows were not bowed or humbled by any measure.

Ballarat's Mars Stadium hosted the 2017 Central Highlands Football League GF for the first time since redevelopment before a crowd of about 5500 (which interestingly was more than twice the size of the combined populations of the competing townships). The new facilities were no doubt appreciated by spectators as they grey clouds lingered overhead, however some hardy souls still ventured into the open and onto the hills and making use of the old 'can bar' beneath the old scoreboard.

The atmosphere and noise was electric, so well done to all for making it a great day of football.

21551982_1924407147797789_8058425426752226930_o.jpg

Last edited:

Lion71

All Australian
Oct 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm hearing Rian McGough and Jim Wall are leaving the GVFL for this league ?? Maybe Hepburn
Wall is way overated, arrived at Tatura and blokes were saying that he was as good as Seymours Paul Colbert at the time........was no where near that blokes level !!!

20th Man

Rookie
Dec 20, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wall is way overated, arrived at Tatura and blokes were saying that he was as good as Seymours Paul Colbert at the time........was no where near that blokes level !!!
Certainly played his best footy at Casey scorpions made the team of the decade. And was well regarded at Richmond VFL totally different type to Colbert.

Humphrey BB

All Australian
Aug 29, 2016
Port Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Black Ducks, Leedy Lions
Trial Games
Sunbury based RDFL club looking to play seniors, reserves and 18's trial games whether home or away on Saturday the 24th March.

Send a message if you are keen and interested to arrange.

Silver Tongue

Premiership Player
Jul 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Will still be a very good player at Central Highlands level and that's not having a crack at the standard of the comp
Not many 6'5 wingman with his skills running around in the CHFL roota. I agree with you though as I honestly believe people in the GV league thought he should be a ruckman ... but in reality I think his best spot is as a particularly tall midfielder.

20th Man

Rookie
Dec 20, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not many 6'5 wingman with his skills running around in the CHFL roota. I agree with you though as I honestly believe people in the GV league thought he should be a ruckman ... but in reality I think his best spot is as a particularly tall midfielder.
I'm hearing the boys will be running out for Spring bank and a fair chance Tim Lanyon may show up also.

20th Man

Rookie
Dec 20, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
So Wall, McGough and Lanyon? Three handy additions for the tigers if true. Wall & McGough went to Tatura as as a duo several years back now.
I believed it was a trio package when first signed I'm sure there was another bloke Ben Waite who came along to

CyHy

Debutant
Mar 29, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Interleague looks to be out of favour at CHFL because the team released is very, very average

merrigan

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Redan
Good to see the CHFL sticking with old traditions. 4 out of 5 junior b&fs in football and netball going to Hepburn players. Wouldn't be rigged at all. Not sure how they mucked up the 5th one. I'm sure they can make it 5 out 5 next year.

Lemms

All Australian
May 7, 2007
Birthplace of the Ashes
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Rupertswood FNC – 2019 RDFNL Premiers are seeking clubs for practice matches leading into the 2020 season.
All grades of football and Netball are preferable. ( Football Sen, Res U19 and Netball A, B, C & U19).
We are looking at mid to late March as a potential time frame.
Interested clubs please contact Rod – 0478 303 273.

Back