Central Highlands general thread - June 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

i don't think Hepburn would be blaming the final 8 system for their demise.

Now lets look at the GF. The key man (again) (still) (always) is Scott Winduss. If he can control the ruck and get first use of the ball to Cummings, Adams, Rodgers Daylesford are a big show. Button is the key up forward. Needs to kick a hand full for them to win.

Waubra are a super team with stars everywhere. Mullane x 2, Sullivan, Oliver x 2, Dodds, Brown, Pelleiser etc. They run hard and use the ball well and the only way to beat them is to slow the play down and keep the ball off them. I watched their rotations off the bench last week and it was no surprise that the finished the game full of running. Russell & Moran need to jump over the top and run the Ox off his legs.

I am tipping Waubra by 30 points

i don't think Hepburn would be blaming the final 8 system for their demise.

Now lets look at the GF. The key man (again) (still) (always) is Scott Winduss. If he can control the ruck and get first use of the ball to Cummings, Adams, Rodgers Daylesford are a big show. Button is the key up forward. Needs to kick a hand full for them to win.

Waubra are a super team with stars everywhere. Mullane x 2, Sullivan, Oliver x 2, Dodds, Brown, Pelleiser etc. They run hard and use the ball well and the only way to beat them is to slow the play down and keep the ball off them. I watched their rotations off the bench last week and it was no surprise that the finished the game full of running. Russell & Moran need to jump over the top and run the Ox off his legs.

I am tipping Waubra by 30 points

Agree with the above...except the menion of Dodds - he's a polecat

Agree with the above...except the menion of Dodds - he's a polecat

Olivers x 2 as Stars? this comp is in trouble if the olivers are stars!?

Watched the game on the weekend and S.Mullane was the matchwinner in my opinion. Seemed to get a heap of clearances and used the ball well. Daylesford will need to shut him out of the game to be a chance i would think... Not sure if they have a run with player, they will get burned if they free wheel. The weather may help D Ford, waubra are most dangerous when they get the ball into the clear and move it quickly. Rushton is underated of the halfback also, he set up alot of play and doesn't miss many targets.

Cummings will need to have a blinder for D ford to win and I'd expect Waubra to match up well on Button and Beattie...

I think it'll be close.

Waubra by 12pts

Ducktape..... Are you taking the piss.
Finals are fianls. top 5 or top 8, ya win your in. Just because ya finish top 2 doesnt mean ya gifted a grandfinal birth. Besides they kicked themselves out of the daylesford game from memory and earned and used the double chance.

Correct about money. The best sides in most comps buy players. Strong juniors is not so important these days because money dictates all. And why shouldnt it.

I hope Daylesford win it but Waubra have too even a spread i think.
Good luck to both.

Agree with the sentiments on here that Waubra go in clear favourites but after watching their finals campaign I don't think they are certainties. They could never quite kick clear of Buninyong the first week and Hepburn's awful goal kicking in the 2nd quarter on Saturday gave Waubra a chance to get back. They are a very good side but far from dominant. While I also think Waubra will win I am just saying don't be surprised in their happens to be an upset this week.

By all reports Beattie is out this week. Big loss with Daylesford already lacking quality forwards. Button will have to repeat his grand final heroics for Daylesford to have any chance.

Dogs will struggle without Beattie,doubt whether blokes like winnard will stand up.but will be surprised if he gets a run after his antics at the old Hepburn hotel on Sunday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations to Waubra.

What are the wrap ups from the game?

From what i saw, Dford were just trying to go the knuckle the whole day and probably cost them dearly in the end! When will some of those thugs from Dford ever learn? Winduss was clearly Dford's best, how old is he now?

Gleeson saved he's best till last and Russell was also very good.

Now with the season over and done with the recruiting has already started.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/news/l...am-sewell-appointed-newlyn-coach/2287298.aspx

Pretty handy pick up for Newlyn. Expect to see a few more recruits over the summer with Nathan Blomeley, Luke Faull and Tristan May (when he gets back from os) all expected to return to the cattery from the BFL. It is expected they will bring a few handy players with them, Jason Delaney from East Point is rumoured.

Well done to Waubra, won 3 finals after being challenged at some stage in all of them. It was yet another scrappy Grand Final at the Northern Oval, who would of guessed?

Most disappointing aspect of the day was the very small crowd on hand, I would say the lowest since these games have been at North, even the day it snowed between Hepburn and Clunes had more there

Expect some big announcements at Springbank in the coming weeks

I reckon you might find that the gate will still be fairly sizeable from the weekend still. A lot of people seemed to come through the gates, watch a game or two and decide it was too cold, then leave.
Congratulations to Waubra, good club that deserved to win it

From what i saw, Dford were just trying to go the knuckle the whole day and probably cost them dearly in the end! When will some of those thugs from Dford ever learn? Winduss was clearly Dford's best, how old is he now?

Was I at a different game to you.....thugs !!!!! :) Waubra where the better side in cold and windy conditions :thumbsu:

Word has it Hepburn not far off announcing their new coach. Strong tip that it may be a Daylesford premiership player who has been in all five of their recent grand finals. Interesting to see how true this one is!!! But has been gathering momentum over the last week and a half. Wait and see.

Word has it Hepburn not far off announcing their new coach. Strong tip that it may be a Daylesford premiership player who has been in all five of their recent grand finals. Interesting to see how true this one is!!! But has been gathering momentum over the last week and a half. Wait and see.

Winduss is my mail.

In regards to crowd numbers I believe it is an easy answer. Waubra were in 3 of the main grand finals (18s, reserves & seniors). If it had been a bigger mixture of clubs that made the grand final it would have made a bigger variety of people to attend which would result in a larger crowd. Congratulations to Waubra.

Scotty is 34, still got a few years in him

In regards to crowd numbers I believe it is an easy answer. Waubra were in 3 of the main grand finals (18s, reserves & seniors). If it had been a bigger mixture of clubs that made the grand final it would have made a bigger variety of people to attend which would result in a larger crowd. Congratulations to Waubra.

i am sure that weather played a big part too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back