Politics & Government Centralia

Should SA and NT merge?

• Yes

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

And they'll call this new state Canetoadia.

I reckon if you cut northern Australia in a line from Exmouth to Mackay, it would be a viable state.

Give the NT to the Aborigines lock stock and barrel. They can form their own country.
No more landrights claims or special privileges.

Aaaaaawwww. We got our first offended snowflake.
Dont worry, the looney left gang who have taken over social media will be here soon to back you up.

You're an idiot. Most Aboriginals live where other Australians live aka not the Northern Territory. They aren't moving or giving up anything because you want to give the shittest part of Australia to other Aboriginals.

Aaaaaawwww. We got our first offended snowflake.
Dont worry, the looney left gang who have taken over social media will be here soon to back you up.
I'd generally be considered centre right on most things, (even though binary labelling someone as left or right is moronic), and your suggestion, and subsequent follow up, is nothing short of incredibly dumb and offensive.

What happens to the 70% of the population in the NT who aren't A&TSI?
Not to mention the fact there are hundreds of different people groups. Can't imagine the Kaurna people of the Adelaide region would want to live in non-traditional homelands, I'm sure the people of the top end wouldn't want them there either. Thousands of Aboriginal people are displaced enough as it is without lumping them all into one state and saying "here you go, sort yourselves out". Shows a lot of ignorance of the complexities of Aboriginal culture.

Xenophon's a piece of s**t, one of the very few things that's improved politics in Australia recently is his absence from it.
I used to really like him up until a few years ago. His hatred of wind power cemented it lol

Not to mention the fact there are hundreds of different people groups. Can't imagine the Kaurna people of the Adelaide region would want to live in non-traditional homelands, I'm sure the people of the top end wouldn't want them there either. Thousands of Aboriginal people are displaced enough as it is without lumping them all into one state and saying "here you go, sort yourselves out". Shows a lot of ignorance of the complexities of Aboriginal culture.
The "Mission System" proved that and its unworkability is still on show in places like Cherbourg in Qld.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The main reason this is being floated I believe is that our government has been grossly mismanaged, and we have a big debt at the moment. But we could only merge with SA if they were willing to take on all of the responsibilities and problems of the hundreds of indigenous communities. Last thing they need is to be further marginalised and forgotten.

South Australia neutralised the indegenous problem quicker and more efdicflvley than any other main land state.

I'm willing to bet it won't be in Vaucluse or South Yarra.

I doubt they'd want them.
There are actually some prominent indigenous leaders who support the notion of a geographic indigenous state - a large portion of land given over to indigenous people, to be governed by them as a seperate state.

The question of course is where.

Well begs the question if we have to be governed who would you rather be governed by?

I'd be happy for it to be a country rather than state.
Let them do their own thing.
NT is perfect for that. Tourist attractions, minerals, agriculture output of $244M, plenty of fresh water and sea access.
If they want to remain in Australia, thats fine, but no compensation or perks for being indigenous. They become normal Australians like everyone else.

I'd be happy for it to be a country rather than state.
Let them do their own thing.
NT is perfect for that. Tourist attractions, minerals, agriculture output of $244M, plenty of fresh water and sea access.
If they want to remain in Australia, thats fine, but no compensation or perks for being indigenous. They become normal Australians like everyone else.

Since when do we get compensation or perks for being indigenous? The communities are run by the federal government anyway.

There's 250,000 people in the NT. You have to be pretty stupid to think that'll work as its own country. Or more likely really hate Aboriginal people and wish they'd * off. "Oh just cut all the taxes and government services and it'll all work perfectly!". No campaigners. First world countries are expensive to run.

Reminds me of the WA right wing independence fantasy where in their head it works because their government just wouldn't do anything.

Back