Strategy Centre Bounce Attendance Tracker + Clearance Stats

Remove this Banner Ad

Data updated with Round 2.

Findings from Round 2:
- Seven players attended centre bounces again this week (plus two rucks). Good.

- Clearances +4 (37-33). Centre clearances -4 (11-15). Stoppage clearances +8 (26-18). After getting demolished in the stoppage clearances last week this is a big tick. Centre clearances have been relatively close in both games (+2, -4).

- Ginbey (18) attended the second most CBAs behind Sheed (23). Very good.

- SPS got one in the last quarter and immediately went back to HFF after. Seems odd to me and I'd like to see that explored more.

- Shuey had three more CBAs this week, but did plenty of great work at them. A team high nine clearances (inc. four centre clearances) after an equal team high four clearances last week. I like this 40% mid 60% HBF approach with Shuey.

- Kelly 16 CBAs from 78% time on ground. Will need to rewatch and see if he was playing much HFF or just on the bench for these.

- Hewett 2 CBAs of the four officially recorded in the final term (including the opening CBA). There was a 6-6-6 free kick in the last so there's one CBA that didn't officially take place (should really have been 29 centre bounces for the game not 28). Not going to include that in the data but will check later to see who was selected for it.

- Not a CBA stat in the AFL's definition, but from watching live Hunt is all but a full time winger it seems. Started every quarter and played almost exclusively there from what I could see. Cole also pressed up and played a lot of wing, seemingly always when Gaff was in the middle. Which leads me to...

- Gaff 39% of CBAs after zero in Round 1. No. Bad. Stop it. Why do this?

218-1644073113-1754471975.png

No Simmo. Gaff no middle. Bad.
Key CBAs:
Opening Bounce Q1:
Williams, Ginbey, Kelly, Shuey (Gaff and Hunt)
Opening Bounce Q2: Williams, Kelly, Sheed, Shuey (Chesser and Hunt)
Opening Bounce Q3: Williams, Gaff, Kelly, Shuey (Chesser and Hunt)
Opening Bounce Q4: Williams, Hewett, Kelly, Shuey (Gaff and Hunt)

- Gaff 39% of CBAs after zero in Round 1. No. Bad. Stop it. Why do this?

There was a bit of a shuffle of magnets with SPS replacing XON. SPS took Jones’ role as a forward with occasional midfield rotations, Jones shifted to the backline, Cole pushed up onto a wing and Gaff got O’Neill’s minutes in the middle.

Some of those worked well, don’t think Cole on a wing or Gaff in the middle is the way to go though.

There was a bit of a shuffle of magnets with SPS replacing XON. SPS took Jones’ role as a forward with occasional midfield rotations, Jones shifted to the backline, Cole pushed up onto a wing and Gaff got O’Neill’s minutes in the middle.

Some of those worked well, don’t think Cole on a wing or Gaff in the middle is the way to go though.
But Exxon took more than half of the CBAs last week and spent a great amount of time in the HFF otherwise.

SPS…almost purpose built for that opportunity. Seemed the easiest like for like we’ll ever make. Making Gaff that role instead, and SPS the Jones role, doesn’t seem like a sound strategy to me.

Cole on the wing I don’t mind, rotations are good. Hunt on the wing good. Gaff on the wing good. Chesser, that’s where he’s playing ok.

Gaff in the middle makes no sense and we finally have options to not have to fall back on it.

But Exxon took more than half of the CBAs last week and spent a great amount of time in the HFF otherwise.

SPS…almost purpose built for that opportunity. Seemed the easiest like for like we’ll ever make. Making Gaff that role instead, and SPS the Jones role, doesn’t seem like a sound strategy to me.

Cole on the wing I don’t mind, rotations are good. Hunt on the wing good. Gaff on the wing good. Chesser, that’s where he’s playing ok.

Gaff in the middle makes no sense and we finally have options to not have to fall back on it.

Changing Jones to HBF meant Hunt played mostly wing which worked really well I reckon. The knock on effect was that we had 3 wingers: Hunt / Gaff / Chesser with Gaff moving on ball for rotations when all 3 were on the field. If that's the price to pay for the run we get from Jones and Shuey playing HBF then I don't love it but can understand it.

Could be wrong but I think it was mostly in Q4 that Cole took Chesser's place on the wing.

Changing Jones to HBF meant Hunt played mostly wing which worked really well I reckon. The knock on effect was that we had 3 wingers: Hunt / Gaff / Chesser with Gaff moving on ball for rotations when all 3 were on the field. If that's the price to pay for the run we get from Jones and Shuey playing HBF then I don't love it but can understand it.

Could be wrong but I think it was mostly in Q4 that Cole took Chesser's place on the wing.
At the time I noticed Cole taking pretty much all of the wing bounces in the second quarter when Gaff was in the middle, almost seemed like a deliberate personnel grouping. Might go back and check to see how often it was the case but it certainly wasn’t late stat padding so to speak.

I just find the whole thing very strange and can’t quite grasp why that would be the play.

Chesser isn't productive enough at the moment, Gaff seems to be ineffective even when he finds it, and I am not a fan of Cole. Would much prefer Hough to come into the side (ahead of those three) and take his place on the wing with Hunt on the other wing.

At the time I noticed Cole taking pretty much all of the wing bounces in the second quarter when Gaff was in the middle, almost seemed like a deliberate personnel grouping. Might go back and check to see how often it was the case but it certainly wasn’t late stat padding so to speak.

I just find the whole thing very strange and can’t quite grasp why that would be the play.

Yep, didn't notice when I was watching live but looking at the replay of Q2 with around 14min to go we had Cole on the wing and Shuey at half back.

I can spot of all of Gov, Barass, Witho, Jones, and Duggan as on the field as well as Shuey making up the back 6 so Cole gets pushed to the wing.

Happy with Cole to the wing to allow Jones and Shuey to play back but agree that I'd prefer they found away to put SPS on ball rather than Gaff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting in rnd 1 Gaff attended no centre bounces and got one CB clearance and then in round 2 attended 11 and got none.

Interesting in rnd 1 Gaff attended no centre bounces and got one CB clearance and then in round 2 attended 11 and got none.
It doesn't even bother me that he got none, it bothers me that he struggles to nullify the opposition if they get hands on the ball first. That's the good thing about SPS, if he's not getting the ball then at least he's throwing himself at the opposition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back