Analysis Centre Bounce/Wing Attendance Megathread 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok, so I'm not resting on my laurels after my critically tolerated wing attendance thread from last season. There's going to be a couple of changes. One is that I hate how Bigfooty massacres the format of pasted tables so I'm going to use images pasted directly from Excel this time around. I've also decided to add a table that includes the CBA attendances, centre clearances and total clearances quarter-by-quarter to provide a full picture of our midfield structure. Note the CBA table will only include players who had a centre bounce attendance (CBA) or gained a centre clearance (as sometimes players who don't have a CBA will gain a centre clearance). Luckily this information is fairly easy to get from the AFL app so it won't be too labour intensive.

Happy for any feedback!

Previous thread - Wing Attendance Megathread 2023

My main enjoyment this week was having to repeat watching that final goal celebrations to try and work out who was on the bottom wing. I think it was Jarryd Lyons in the end. Not 100% sure about Zorko's numbers but I'm not willing to rewatch the second half again.

WA 2024 - Round 0.png

CBA 2024 - Round 0.png

Ok, so I'm not resting on my laurels after my critically tolerated wing attendance thread from last season. There's going to be a couple of changes. One is that I hate how Bigfooty massacres the format of pasted tables so I'm going to use images pasted directly from Excel this time around. I've also decided to add a table that includes the CBA attendances, centre clearances and total clearances quarter-by-quarter to provide a full picture of our midfield structure. Note the CBA table will only include players who had a centre bounce attendance (CBA) or gained a centre clearance (as sometimes players who don't have a CBA will gain a centre clearance). Luckily this information is fairly easy to get from the AFL app so it won't be too labour intensive.

Happy for any feedback!

Previous thread - Wing Attendance Megathread 2023

284617.jpg

My main enjoyment this week was having to repeat watching that final goal celebrations to try and work out who was on the bottom wing. I think it was Jarryd Lyons in the end. Not 100% sure about Zorko's numbers but I'm not willing to rewatch the second half again.

View attachment 1927615

View attachment 1927616
Interesting that McCluggage was on the wing early (2) in our best quarter and appeared most (5) in our worse quarter.

Also interesting that Jarryd Berry doesn’t attend 1 CBA or Wing attendance.
Berry is a worry, he seems to have stagnated the last season or so, and started 2024 ordinarily last week, usually puts in great effort, although does not seem to have much peripheral vision/game sense.

Berry is a worry, he seems to have stagnated the last season or so, and started 2024 ordinarily last week, usually puts in great effort, although does not seem to have much peripheral vision/game sense.

Playing on a new role didn't help. Hope we see the light and put him back on the wing.

Definitely annoying to see Lyons acting as our third string midfielder. I get he's good at the coalface but it's not surprising we struggle with wrestling back control when he's in there so much.

As expected though, more midfield time for Cam and more wing time for McCluggage. I think long term if Berry can turn himself into a tallish defensive utility like Lester, that's probably his best position. Something I believe I flagged as an idea over the off-season :0

Also trying to figure out if Rayner's midfield time is steady at about 30% mid time or did we change his role during the middle of the game and left him forward more
Always hard to tell with those mid/fwds or fwd/mids.
He had 11 CBA's being 2 behind McCluggage. Then Bailey with 4 and Zorko 3
His Heat Map below from dfsaustralia if that helps.

1710489693719.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dev playing more on the wing than on ball. And only really one quarter on ball while he was given a hard tag role is just dumb. To be honest seeing those numbers just show that we have set the kid up to fail by never giving him a proper shot in his natural role

I see it as the opposite. He's not good enough to make it in his natural role and we're giving him a chance to develop skills required to make him a more well rounded midfielder

I'm a bit in the camp that Dev needs to show more.

He's not robust enough to impact the M/F physically and not skillful enough to impact it on the outside.

He seems like a good honest trier who will try a tagging job if he's given it but I just don't see him at the level where he gets it often enough and/or disposes of it effectively enough to be anything other than a fill in. Not discounting that he could get better I suppose.

I see it as the opposite. He's not good enough to make it in his natural role and we're giving him a chance to develop skills required to make him a more well rounded midfielder
I think with Dev he appears to just be trying too hard and always over runs the ball or miss handles allowing the defence to be all over him.
He just needs to slow down sometimes.

I get that and maybe he isnt quite good enough. But I agree he appears to be a guy who tries too hard on the times he is in there, but he is almost always immediately pulled from that spot. I dont think he has ever got a full game, let alone a few in a row to settle in the role

Dev playing more on the wing than on ball. And only really one quarter on ball while he was given a hard tag role is just dumb. To be honest seeing those numbers just show that we have set the kid up to fail by never giving him a proper shot in his natural role

I was hopeful dev would become the inside mid we thought Berry would become. Imo one difference is strength around the hips and legs. Berry had it from his first or second season. dev doesn’t seem to have it based on the way he gets thrown around.

Interesting to see the statistical demonstration of Lachie Neale's excellennt second quarter. Also there's something mentally pleasing when we only use three wingers in a game.

WA 2024 - Round 3.png
CBA 2024 - Round 3.png

Can’t really see him getting more midfield time in a full strength team. Might as well play Kai
I do agree once Ashcroft returns and if Clugg continues more inside than out. If not going to play Dev in the midfield then play a proper forward on the flank.

I still feel we should have been using the start of the year to give him some decent time in the middle, seems a waste at the moment

I do agree once Ashcroft returns and if Clugg continues more inside than out. If not going to play Dev in the midfield then play a proper forward on the flank.

I still feel we should have been using the start of the year to give him some decent time in the middle, seems a waste at the moment
I wonder if there is an element of protecting him a little at the moment with his wrist having taken so long to recover and with a couple of setbacks?
If that was the case it would preferably be in the VFL.

Gardiner seems to be the new Gunston in terms of playing as a defensive winger late in quarters. Becoming a mult-dimensional footballer in his later years, Darcy.

WA 2024 - Round 4.png

CBA 2024 - Round 4.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back