Palpatine

Premium Gold
Jun 9, 2010
Launceston
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Kentucky Wildcats
Interesting to note that despite the early onslaught the centre bounce mix only used 2 rucks and 4 midfielders for the entire 1st quarter. (only due to bench rotations)
1st Qtr 11 Centre bounces (1 to start game + 10 goals)
Goldstein 9 Daw 2
Cunnington 9
Ziebel 6
Swallow 8
Gibson 10

Gibson was in there to tag? he was not in again for the rest of the game
2nd Qtr was the same mix except Higgins replaced Gibson.
3rd Qtr we saw Maj more than Goldy, and finally a change with Simpkin twice and maybe Garner once.
4th Qtr much the same with Simpkin once I think

Why does it take so long to mix it up?
Would like to see Luke, Ats, Hrovat, Thomas, Turner, Clarke etc in occasionally. Does not mean they have to play on ball all day, can just appear for a few centre bounces.
When your 17th this is when this needs to be looked at.

Some pretty good observations there Freddo99. The preseason was all about changing things up, adding speed to the previously tired looking midfield mix, and what you raise about the first quarter suggests a "stick with what we know" mentality.

Hopefully the result of which causes a genuine rethink in review, and greater trust placed in the quicker, smarter, better executing players to support Cunners.

Something has to give and now that game results aren't necessarily the priority we should already be in prep mode for 2018 and beyond.

This is not directed at the poster or any comments, just how I feel when I think about our stoppages...

13848971.jpg

No odea why garner, simpkin, hrovat, maj, LMac don't get more or a run through there. Preuss actually hit people with his ruck work. Goldie doesn't so just mix it up because set ups don't mean a thing if we are getting belted.

According to roos simpkin killed it during stoppage training at the dees. Get him in there!!!

I thought we definitely should throw garner in more often, he was an inside mid when we drafted him. Lmac too should start going in more, he was able to win plenty of contests on the wings with throw ins, don't see why he couldn't do the same with center bounces.

to be fair, in all of north's games there are always such big momentum shifts, i'd like to the center bounce mixes when the momentum is against us vs when it's with us. I personally think scott doesn't change anything and has faith in the usual suspects turning it around, which they do at some point. that didn't happen at all vs port, and they haven't been doing it early enough in most games this season. In the past when the momentum did change in a favour, players like harvey, NDS and wells really helped captialise on it, now we're finding it difficult to get ppl to hit up targets in the fwd 50. Countless times we get it into our fwd 50 and we handball backwards one too many times because we don't have a player that can get into the right position to have a quality shot, we end up either kicking a point or turning it over at HFF and getting absolutely burnt on the rebound because our team has flooded fwd and not used to it leaving our fwd 50 so easily.

next year

1st Qtr 11 Centre bounces (1 to start game + 10 goals)
Preuss 10 Goldy 1
Cunnington 9
Kelly 9
Martin 9
Mcdonald 6

Remember after half time in the West Coast final in 2012.
We were down by like 10 goals and the game was over.

Scott went with Cunnington, Ziebell and Swallow with Goldi as ruck to start the 3rd. The A team. The Plan A. Fast forward 5 years and well, the teams still together gang!! yay

So for the past 3 weeks, we have gone in with full faith that Todd Goldstein will turn his season around. Then after half time, when Plan A has failed, Majak Daw has then become the first choice ruck. No doubt when Preuss is fit enough, he will replace Maj. I only hope he gets first crack from the opening bounce, with Goldy in the forward pocket.

One of the most frustrating things about Goldy's ruck work at the moment is when he gets a clear first hand to the ball and palms it into space, our mids aren't there. Either there's a breakdown in communication and he's hitting to the wrong spot or else they have lost all faith in him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back