Centrelink Law Reform Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

What did you get per hour for those 3 days? How much of it was from the company that benefited from your labour?

Just because you can be a happy slave, doesn't mean you should be one.
I got nothing. I explained above the reasons I chose to do it.
Too many people focus on the $ per hour. Does your gf/partner charge you everytime they make dinner, clean. Do you charge them? Thats a bullshit analogy.

Once again in SA most projects are Churches, RSLs and non-profit organisations such as Salvos etc.

I got nothing. I explained above the reasons I chose to do it.
Too many people focus on the $ per hour. Does your gf/partner charge you everytime they make dinner, clean. Do you charge them? Thats a bullshit analogy.

Once again in SA most projects are Churches, RSLs and non-profit organisations such as Salvos etc.

That's great but I'd call that being exploited. No offense intended. You may like it and that's great I fully understand the mental and health consequences of not working for a long period. I just think there's a better way to do it, notably without feeding companies and making them powerful. If anything it infuriates me the good little soldier complex it's the reason the consumer is gouged in present day. They work out how much people can afford then milk them dry. If your wage goes up be prepared for it to be offset by increased bills and goods. They actually sit in a room and work out what people can afford. Oh dual income households now! They can afford this!

Boy what would I give for someone to come paint my house for $5 an hour. And here people are lining up to do exactly that except I'm not a big company.

I think we're talking about different things entirely, but to me it's all about the inequity of the $$ their making. It's sweatshop 101. The aspects of lifestyle to me whilst most important, don't take precedence over fair pay or so on, I'm very stubborn when it comes to overworking and overtime etc. I personally don't give an inch.Glad to hear it ultimately opened an opportunity for you and you found a job you love.

Which big companies?

Origin or EnergyAus, one of the LNP donor energy companies has a work for the dole contract. Basically the one company who can afford to pay their staff out of any company on this turf. Single digit to free labour. It's all about slashing that payroll and metting those kpi's!

Origin or EnergyAus, one of the LNP donor energy companies has a work for the dole contract. Basically the one company who can afford to pay their staff out of any company on this turf. Single digit to free labour. It's all about slashing that payroll and metting those kpi's!
Is that the Intern program or WFD? 2 different programs

I wouldn't call exploiting them giving them a chance. It probably is better for them to sit at home in the country, at least make the program optional and see. I wouldn't imagine many choosing to do a $20-60 hr jobs for slave wages. I don't think they would because it's not better. It's worse.

Pay them a proper wage it's just a rort. The whole reason for it anyway is for bosses to have another avenue to slave wages other than backpackers and migrants. It particularly benefits the bigger companies who have work for the dole programs setup with the government. Backroom deals between party and donor. We're effectively talking wage elimination and their staff paid for by the taxpayer. Do you know how much bosses would just love to cut their entire staff just $2 an hour? With this deal it's a sweatshops wet dream.

I definitely hear what you are saying.

it's interesting that many people do volunteer work, to stay engaged, remain mentally healthy, have a purpose and contribute. The reason why they do it is wide and varied but it's obviously extremely rewarding.

Perhaps rather than pulling out of such an important scheme, perhaps tweaking the scheme to address your concerns would be far more appropriate.

In short, we shouldn't give up on people for votes. Especially if it is driven by a preference deal with the greens of concerns the greens are eating into Labor's electoral base. Labor will win the next election anyway, so why F up peoples lives for no reason?

Is that the Intern program or WFD? 2 different programs

It was an article I read a few months back I distinctly remember WFD and one of the power companies (either origin or energyaus). The premise of the article was the number of complaints by dole workers was higher there than anywhere else.

Most of them go work in smaller business, farms and agriculture type, probably a lot of places. Lot of complaints coming out of that sector too.. you'd imagine the attitude farmers would have towards people on the dole.

Of all the searches this seemed to be the most relevant.

Labor prepared to stop/reduce work for the dole

Bill Shorten’s Labor opposition is preparing to walk away from the unemployment program, Work for the Dole, arguing it punishes the unemployed, puts young people in unsafe workplaces, and too often fails to get them into work.

The decision, yet to formalised, would remove the last vestiges of bipartisanship underpinning a scheme that has operated under governments of both stripes, while exposing Labor to the charge that it is weak on mutual obligation for welfare recipients.

Signalling the move, Labor’s spokesman on employment services and workforce participation, Ed Husic, launched a stinging attack on the program in Parliament during Thursday’s adjournment debate, calling the scheme, costing $156 million this year, a “dud” from which seven out of 10 compulsory participants, failed to find stable work.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/labor-s-walk-from-the-dole-program-20180303-p4z2os.html

Pandering to the lazy class who have shifted towards the Greens in recent years.

Husic was fun this morning on Insiders. His retort to Barry pointing out the injury rate is 1% compared to over 4% in the overall workforce was "ah but a couple of years ago someone died".

It was an article I read a few months back I distinctly remember WFD and one of the power companies (either origin or energyaus). The premise of the article was the number of complaints by dole workers was higher there than anywhere else.

Most of them go work in smaller business, farms and agriculture type, probably a lot of places. Lot of complaints coming out of that sector too.. you'd imagine the attitude farmers would have towards people on the dole.

I know someone who was between jobs and pretty much happy to do anything.
She worked at a fruit grower, sorting fruit as a contractor.

Staff member: "Get these and put the good ones in here and the bad ones in here."
Staff member later: "Why are you putting these in here, these aren't good , these go in the bad container "
Different staff member later : " These should be in the good container , we can't afford to throw them out "

Next day. "We don't have enough to ship you need to rummage through the disgusting bin where all the bad and spoiled ones are and see if you can find some good ones " (worker has to fight back vomit while doing this for several hours ).

This person was almost in tears when she finished the day on several occasions, and quit after a short time.
------------------------------
Companies at this level are seriously poorly organised s**t, and would probably be the type to use WFTD workers. For starters they could pay some high school kid ten bucks to make a laminated poster/visual aid to show their contract workers a good fruit and a bad one.

Person got a better job with a different company, ( white collar ) amazed at the amount of training she received, flying, probably will be made permanent.

Staff member: "Get these and put the good ones in here and the bad ones in here."
Staff member later: "Why are you putting these in here, these aren't good , these go in the bad container "
Different staff member later : " These should be in the good container , we can't afford to throw them out "

Next day. "We don't have enough to ship you need to rummage through the disgusting bin where all the bad and spoiled ones are and see if you can find some good ones " (worker has to fight back vomit while doing this for several hours ).

This person was almost in tears when she finished the day on several occasions, and quit after a short time.
Companies at this level are seriously poorly organised s**t, and would probably be the type to use WFTD workers. For starters they could pay some high school kid ten bucks to make a laminated poster/visual aid to show their contract workers a good fruit and a bad one.

Person got a better job with a different company, ( white collar ) amazed at the amount of training she received, flying, probably will be made permanent.

it's hard to believe how some businesses survive

And over employ middle management people as evident by that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back