Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
They wouldnt want to lock it in, as it becomes a wedge issue at an election,the dole bludger meme has had a fair workout for a long time in the media

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
They wouldnt want to lock it in, as it becomes a wedge issue at an election,the dole bludger meme has had a fair workout for a long time in the media
Sometimes the biggest win you can have in politics is knowing when the public has shifted.

The GST is one example. It undoubtedly cost the libs the 93 election, and conventional wisdom was it was a good idea but political suicide. Howard and Costello sensed the growing apathy among the opponents and moved.

Work choices is from the other side. Union bashing had worked for a very long time and a Senate majority was a dangerous tool. One step too far at the wrong moment and you get smashed.

If I was Shorten I might be tempted to risk it, it's clearly the right thing to do.

Failure to support a significant increase and address the absurd rules for job seekers and private employment contractors is my biggest criticism of Gillard.

It looks like they'll take a small target strategy and just promise a review. That has risks of looking wishy washy too though.

Centrelink hard at work again. A friend of mine decided to take the offer at working for the VEC at last Vic election. She is on the aged pension.

We were discussing whether she need to report earnings of $513 for the day, I suggested she do it anyway although thought she was entitled to earn $6K without affecting her pension. She went on line and reported the income.

This week, she received two calls on mobile from a 'no id' and ignored them. Today she received another call and decided to answer, would you believe that it was Centrelink asking her to contact compliance. It seems that as she completed a tax declaration form with VEC, it triggered an alert to Centrelink and they were querying her employment. She stated that she had already written to them on line declaring her work and the amount. They said that they had to follow up. You would think that they would check her file surely. What a waste of time!

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Centrelink hard at work again. A friend of mine decided to take the offer at working for the VEC at last Vic election. She is on the aged pension.

We were discussing whether she need to report earnings of $513 for the day, I suggested she do it anyway although thought she was entitled to earn $6K without affecting her pension. She went on line and reported the income.

This week, she received two calls on mobile from a 'no id' and ignored them. Today she received another call and decided to answer, would you believe that it was Centrelink asking her to contact compliance. It seems that as she completed a tax declaration form with VEC, it triggered an alert to Centrelink and they were querying her employment. She stated that she had already written to them on line declaring her work and the amount. They said that they had to follow up. You would think that they would check her file surely. What a waste of time!

You sure that isn't one of those scam calls?

You sure that isn't one of those scam calls?
No, it was legit. She didn't answer the first two calls thinking that.

Apparently if they do call, it does show - no caller id.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
No, it was legit. She didn't answer the first two calls thinking that.

Apparently if they do call, it does show - no caller id.
I've seen similar and dont doubt you're correct. My major problem isn't the inability to do basic checks themselves though, bad though it is.

It's the disrespect in making the decision to call someone obviously from a person not able to discuss the matter. How people arrive at the conclusion this is ok beyond me. Effectively you're requiring them to enter an undoubtedly long queue and a repitition of identity checks and wasted time while someone orients themselves.

People might choose to call back on a published number for their security but that's a different matter

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Less work for Australians more profits to be slung to Singapore

Rio Tinto has declared mission nearly accomplished on the ambitious $US940 million ($1.3 billion) plan to automate its Pilbara long-haul iron ore rail network with confirmation that its "pioneering" technology has now been successfully and fully commissioned.

The leading-edge AutoHaul technology has been installed on all of its 200 locomotives and its 50-strong fleet of trains and they have been successfully linked to remotely operated facilities at all 16 of Rio Tinto's Pilbara mines and at its four export port terminals.
https://www.afr.com/business/mining...-at-automated-rail-completion-20181227-h19i4b

Rio Tinto has declared mission nearly accomplished on the ambitious $US940 million ($1.3 billion) plan to automate its Pilbara long-haul iron ore rail network with confirmation that its "pioneering" technology has now been successfully and fully commissioned.

The leading-edge AutoHaul technology has been installed on all of its 200 locomotives and its 50-strong fleet of trains and they have been successfully linked to remotely operated facilities at all 16 of Rio Tinto's Pilbara mines and at its four export port terminals.
https://www.afr.com/business/mining...-at-automated-rail-completion-20181227-h19i4b
What is AutoHaul and what does it do? How many people have been replaced?

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
What is AutoHaul and what does it do? How many people have been replaced?
In a statement Rio Tinto said that the ramp-up of the automated network would continue through 2019, a process that meant that all of its 600 train drivers would retain their positions for at least another year.

Of those 600 drivers, some 240 are employed to steer the 2.5km long trains up and down the four mainlines of what is said to be the world's busiest rail network. At some point in the future, those drivers will be redeployed to other tasks or lose their jobs.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Merry Xmas form the caring Christians in charge of your government

857.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...relink-our-welfare-payments-have-been-stopped

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS

Are you saying the trains will be controlled from Singapore?

I seem to recall in article about a prang it was done from Perth.

I would be seriously disturbed about OH&S and regulative compliance if the trains were operated from outside our jurisdiction.

Are you saying the trains will be controlled from Singapore?

I seem to recall in article about a prang it was done from Perth.

I would be seriously disturbed about OH&S and regulative compliance if the trains were operated from outside our jurisdiction.

They'll be autonomous.
I'm sure they'll trust australians with a big red OFF button.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...s-government-job-program-20190214-p50xwd.html

'Welfare to nowhere': Senate committee slams government job program

I feel like I'm living proof of this. I found myself laid off, I remained unemployed longer than I imagined given my experience, and I stupidly thought my job network provider would help me.

When I eventually found work they gave me more attention than when I needed help - clearly they were trying to claim credit for me finding work to get a bigger government pay out.

I ignored their calls for months afterwards. I found work in spite of their bullshit, and ****ed if I was allowing them to claim the tiniest shred of credit for me finding a job.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
If you want to listen to something that will fill you with rage, just sit on hold on a Sarina Russo Jobs Network phone number and listen to that condescending , rich, government slush fund rorter tell you about reaching your career goals

Bitch noone having to use your service is worried about a career they just want a job

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
If you want to listen to something that will fill you with rage, just sit on hold on a Sarina Russo Jobs Network phone number and listen to that condescending , rich, government slush fund rorter tell you about reaching your career goals

Bitch noone having to use your service is worried about a career they just want a job
Years ago, just after this rort started, I worked 3 or 4 shifts a week at a servo, many of whose customers came from the nearby Commission estate.
She used to hand her "clients" $10 petrol cards (financed by the gummint, of course) so they could drive to interviews.
Over the space of a fortnight, 50+ of them were declined "no funds" at our shop alone; and before you ask, it wasn't the fault of the punters, because after a while we used to get them to prepay, but they never worked, not once.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Officials also faced a grilling about how they had responded to figures that showed 2,030 people had died after they were sent a debt notice, including 812 who were considered vulnerable by Centrelink.
About one in five were under the age of 35.

I dont know what the "normal" death (suicide) rate is for unemployed people but this seems high

It makes the dodgy small business men killing their employees for a buck in the pink batt scheme seem tame

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...osts-government-almost-as-much-as-it-recovers

Sainteric

Cancelled
Aug 5, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Officials also faced a grilling about how they had responded to figures that showed 2,030 people had died after they were sent a debt notice, including 812 who were considered vulnerable by Centrelink.
About one in five were under the age of 35.

I dont know what the "normal" death (suicide) rate is for unemployed people but this seems high

It makes the dodgy small business men killing their employees for a buck in the pink batt scheme seem tame

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...osts-government-almost-as-much-as-it-recovers
Of 400,000 debts I suppose an individual could have more than one, 2000 died that's 0.5 percent. Out on those 2000 almost 1/2 were vulnerable if that means old, cancer patients and drug addicts then it doesn't seem unusual.

Back