worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
On page 107 of Kevin Taylor’s “Footy Stats 2000” there is a table detailing all players who have kicked 100 goals in a season (up to the end of 1999), complied by Col Hutchinson. The table sets out data relating to the round in which the 100th goal was scored, the player’s Guernsey number, and each player’s goal average for the season. The final column is titled “Details of 100th goal”, which includes info such as whether the goal came from a free kick, from a mark, how far from goal the player was, and even, where known, the angle the player was on when lining up. I became intrigued recently as to the television commentary which would have accompanied each 100th goal. Obviously this would not date back to the very first instance of Gordon Coventry in 1929, but I have managed to go back as far as Kelvin Templeton in 1978. I have mainly used You Tube, and the DVDs of “The Sensational Seventies”, “The Electrifying Eighties” and “The 90s: The Decade that Delivered”. In some instances You Tube only had footage of ABC commentary, as opposed to Channel 7, but this was certainly better than having no commentary at all.

I was not able to find commentary of every centurion since 1978, but I have included here all those I did.

Obviously it is my own discretion as to where I have decided to begin and end the commentary. I have tried to include enough as to evoke the excitement surrounding the occasion. Hope this provides some interest.

1978: Kelvin Templeton (set shot)

“And probably this has been his hardest shot. Right on the boundary line as you can see there, lining up for his 100th goal, swings around (kicks) runs in, has a shot, and I think he’s done it. There it is: Kelvin Templeton one hundred goals and the Footscray players run over to congratulate him.”

Doug Wade (Channel 7)

1980: Michael Roach (set shot)

No commentary yet found

1982: Malcolm Blight (set shot)

“Well the siren has sounded for quarter time, as Blight needs this goal for his 100 goals for the season. (Kicks) He’s a fair way out. The distance is there, and there’s his century.”

Clarke Hansen (ABC)

1983: Bernie Quinlan (set shot)

“It’ll be the torpedo will it? No, I think he might use the drop punt. (Kicks) It’s high, it’s long, it’s THERE!”

Sandy Roberts (Channel 7)

1984: Bernie Quinlan (set shot)

“And so Bernie Quinlan, eighteen minutes into the first quarter, after that spectacular mark, his third of the match, and having kicked two goals so far, has 99 goals to his name, kicks in for the 100th goal…and there it is!”

Don Hyde (ABC)

1985: Simon Beasley (set shot)

“Simon Beasley going for the ton. Walks in for the kick from about 15 metres out (kicks) and there it is and the crowd goes berserk.”

Lou Richards (Channel 7)

1986: Brian Taylor (set shot)

“The pressure must be quite intense for his 100th goal. At 24 years of age, Brian Taylor (kicks) originally from Mandurah, Western Australia…he’s done it! And they swarm onto the ground. Look out!”

Doug Heywood (ABC)

1987: Tony Lockett (set shot)

Well Tony Lockett coming in for goal number 100, he’ll never forget it. It’s a goal! A great effort by the young champ.”

Peter McKenna (Channel 7)

1987: Warwick Capper (picks up a loose ball near goal square with two opponents coming at him. Has a quick snap)

“Capper, is it goal number 100? It is!”

1988: Jason Dunstall

No commentary yet found

1989: Jason Dunstall

"Dickson at centre half-forward kicks it wide. DiPierdomenico (drops the mark) Oh he drops a sitter! (Dunstall gathers the crumbs and turns toward goal). Dunstall, in the pocket goes for goal number one hundred and gets it!"

Ian Robertson (Channel 7)

1991: Tony Lockett (set shot)

“He kicked the hundred in 1987. (Kicks) Drop punt, familiar sight, kicks it superbly. Straight through the middle.”

Bruce McAvaney (Channel 7)

1991: Peter Sumich (set shot)

“Goal number 100 coming up if he’s accurate (kicks), 45 metres out. And the crowd likes it. He’s got it. Well Peter Sumich gets his 100th goal for the year.”

Peter Landy (Channel 7)

1992: Jason Dunstall (set shot about 25 metres out)

"Well this is a soda for his 100th (directly in front). Leans back, straight through the middle. One hundred goals Jason Dunstall!"

Gerard Healy (Channel 7)

1992: Tony Lockett (set shot)

“Thirty metres (kicks) the umpire doesn’t move. It’s a goal to the big St. Kilda forward. One hundred!”

Bernie Quinlan (Channel 7)

1993: Tony Modra (set shot)

“Tony Modra for goal number 100 for the season. He kicks…I think he’s got it. Well done Anthony Modra. Great effort by the champion full forward.”

1993: Gary Ablett (set shot)

“His previous best was 87 goals in a season, in his stellar year 1989. This for the second fastest century in VFL/AFL history. (Kicks) And there it is! Only Bob Pratt got there quicker, and that was one game quicker.”

Drew Morphett (Channel 7)

1993: Jason Dunstall

"Morrissey, open goal beckons, he runs in, touches it down (he handballs to Dunstall alone in goal square) here's the 100th. He turns around and bangs it through, it's come early."

Dennis Cometti (Channel 7)

1994: Gary Ablett (set shot)

“The crowd’s running on already. (Kicks) He’s kicked it! Ablett gets his hundredth, and they come from everywhere. And Gary Ablett’s in there somewhere.”

Peter Landy (Channel 7)

1994: Jason Dunstall

(Dunstall is walking in to take his shot) "Good vision by Graham to give Dunstall the chance to kick his 100th goal. (Dunstall kicks) And it's straight through the centre. Well done, Dunstall."

1995: Gary Ablett (set shot)

“So Ablett, for the century. (Kicks) He’s got it! It’s all over…and I think he’s glad about it. For the third successive season, Gary Ablett has got the century.”

Dennis Cometti (Channel 7)

1995: Tony Lockett (set shot)

"A slow approach. This for number one hundred. (The ball sails through and the crowd begin to invade) He's kicked it and here they come!"

Sandy Roberts (Channel 7)

1996: Tony Lockett (set shot)

(Lockett lines up his shot) "He'll join Dunstall and Hudson as the men to have kicked a hundred goals on five occasions if he drills this through. A magic moment. Lockett, from 35 metres out. (He kicks) He's got it!"

1996: Jason Dunstall (set shot)

“There’s about 40,000 security staff! Dunstall, more importantly, (kicks) goes for goal and he’s got it! One hundred goals to Jason Dunstall. Another sensational performance by the Hawthorn captain and champion forward.”

1998: Tony Lockett

No commentary yet found

2000: Matthew Lloyd (set shot)

“Security guards rimming the oval. Just 22 years of age. History. (Kicks) He’s done it.”

2001: Matthew Lloyd (set shot)

“Well we just expect him to kick it; he’s such a brilliant kick. (Kicks) Looks good, he’s done it, he’s kicked his 100th, at the same time as he did last year.”

2004: Fraser Gehrig (set shot)

“For a full forward it’s a relatively simple task. (Kicks) Fraser Gehrig for a hundred. A moment to savour.”

Anthony Hudson (Channel 10)

2008: Lance Franklin (set shot)

“In he comes, on 99 goals, (kicks) Lance Franklin joins the 100 club, and people power has spoken. Out they come by their thousands.”

Stephen Quartermain (Channel 10)

Last edited:

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
An odd trivia question to come from this is "What do Peter McKenna, Doug Wade and Bernie Quinlan have in common?"

They have both kicked a century of goals in a season and commentated on somebody else bringing up their 100.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Have discovered the footage of Doug Wade's 100th goal from 1974 on YouTube.
As commentated by Lou Richards:

"Peterson hooks it back towards the goals. Can Goodingham mark it? No he can't. Picked up by Wade (Wade kicks from near the goal square). He's put it through! And that's his 100th goal."

Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Stephen Phillips does a great call of Quinlan's 100th goal in 1984.

Sandy Roberts has BT's goal from 1986.

And Jack Edwards for Blight's goal in 1982.

And with Dunstall in 1989, listen to the comments of Ross Glendenning.

(would say go to the Electrifying Eighties on Youtube for all 4 if that helps)

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Stephen Phillips does a great call of Quinlan's 100th goal in 1984.

Sandy Roberts has BT's goal from 1986.

And Jack Edwards for Blight's goal in 1982.

And with Dunstall in 1989, listen to the comments of Ross Glendenning.

(would say go to the Electrifying Eighties on Youtube for all 4 if that helps)

I have indeed looked for all these players kicking their 100th goal in The Electrifying 80s, but they are all given very brief footage time whatever commentary goes with it is not audible because the narrator is talking over the footage. Thanks for your interest.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
1989: Jason Dunstall

Ian Robertson (Channel 7) "Dickson at centre half-forward kicks it wide. DiPierdomenico (drops the mark) Oh he drops a sitter! (Dunstall gathers the crumbs and turns toward goal). Dunstall, in the pocket goes for goal number one hundred and gets it!"

I don't believe the 1988 game where Dunstall kicked his 100th was televised. The only footage came from news highlights with 7 I believe covering Carlton vs Sydney and Essendon vs Geelong that afternoon (they only covered 2 games on Saturday afternoons from 1988-1994 apart from the odd time when the Eagles were playing and a 3rd game was done for their market)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back