fishardansin

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
So I can liken him to Mother Theresa, Pol Pot or Napoleon .... but anyone in the current Australian parliament is taboo?

Also my past references were in response to the Peta Credlin sock puppet troll account that is allowed to opperate on our board, which is why I used the "good labor man" quote.

I'd also like to point out that I'm not being particularly partisan. I am dismayed at the chaotic "leadership" shown by Abbot and Rudd before him. They have both trashed the place when not in the lodge either with Rudd white anting his party and Abbot being one of the most obstructionist opposition leaders in living memory.

There is a sense of chaos coming out of Essendon with these sorts of announcments. Also like Abbot Little seems to be appointing only supporting views in all positions.

Releasing this information 4 days after AGM and 5 days before xmas is an act of deceit. They could have mentioned this prior to the AGM. So either our board is completely unagreeable, the leadership is paralised with indecision or they are trying to sneak through massive structural change without asking membership if they agree.

With Little being at the helm I am 100% sure it isn't indecision. The other two options are ugly.

Peta Credlin

Rookie
Dec 13, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Also my past references were in response to the Peta Credlin sock puppet troll account that is allowed to opperate on our board, which is why I used the "good labor man" quote.
Yay, looks like I have a new friend!

Not too happy about this TBH, I'd prefer the Chairman and CEO position to be separate, this reeks of a power grab.

At the same time, I'm happy with a couple of the promotions and it's nice to Corcoran not return.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Old Campaigner

Premium Gold
Nov 22, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm sure these decisions have been made for a very good reason.
Maybe. It would be nice if they'd come out and explain the decision, back it up with some real evidence for why it will work and let everyone know what they hope to achieve by it so the members can judge their performance accordingly. The timing of it makes me a little suspicious both of how effective they expect it to be (i.e. no acceptable candidates were found for the CEO job) and the motives for doing it.

However with the new structure I can see both the benefit of having more people at the top meaning more oversight, but also potentially the problem of having to many chiefs and not enough indians at the executive level.

Regardless of what happens with this we should remain a relatively strong club should the new structure fail, so the risk to us is nowhere near as great as it would be for a club like WBD to try the same thing.

Whispering_Jack

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 10, 2013
Essington
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Crystal Palace FC, Tomato Atheism
Yay, looks like I have a new friend!

Not too happy about this TBH, I'd prefer the Chairman and CEO position to be separate, this reeks of a power grab.

At the same time, I'm happy with a couple of the promotions and it's nice to Corcoran not return.
If it is a temporary thing until we find the right person I can handle it. Long term, not so much.

DonsRule

I can't recall
Sep 9, 2004
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I can't recall
If it is a temporary thing until we find the right person I can handle it. Long term, not so much.

As someone else put it at Blitz, combining Chairman and CEO's roles is someone common in the US.

It's quite common in American companies. A quick peruse through the Dow Jones shows at least Chevron, American Express, IBM, Boeing, Procter & Gamble, DuPont, General Motors, JP Morgan Chase, AT&T, ExxonMobil, General Electric, all combine CEO and Chairman roles.

Whispering_Jack

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 10, 2013
Essington
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Crystal Palace FC, Tomato Atheism
As someone else put it at Blitz, combining Chairman and CEO's roles is someone common in the US.

It's quite common in American companies. A quick peruse through the Dow Jones shows at least Chevron, American Express, IBM, Boeing, Procter & Gamble, DuPont, General Motors, JP Morgan Chase, AT&T, ExxonMobil, General Electric, all combine CEO and Chairman roles.
I know the precedence is there in the US, but I am more talking about as a good fit, I would rather a dedicated CEO and then a chairman after that.

DonsRule

I can't recall
Sep 9, 2004
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I can't recall
I know the precedence is there in the US, but I am more talking about as a good fit, I would rather a dedicated CEO and then a chairman after that.
I'm skeptical of the decisions too, tbh. But most of it out of my league. So not totally sure what to make of it.

The Jet

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Mar 25, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool FC

And lets not forget WWE. Vince McMahon has both titles whilst Triple H is the companies COO.

DapperDon

Waiting for Essendon to arrive
Oct 4, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
So I can liken him to Mother Theresa, Pol Pot or Napoleon .... but anyone in the current Australian parliament is taboo?

I'd also like to point out that I'm not being particularly partisan. I am dismayed at the chaotic "leadership" shown by Abbot and Rudd before him. They have both trashed the place when not in the lodge either with Rudd white anting his party and Abbot being one of the most obstructionist opposition leaders in living memory.

There is a sense of chaos coming out of Essendon with these sorts of announcments. Also like Abbot Little seems to be appointing only supporting views in all positions.

Releasing this information 4 days after AGM and 5 days before xmas is an act of deceit. They could have mentioned this prior to the AGM. So either our board is completely unagreeable, the leadership is paralised with indecision or they are trying to sneak through massive structural change without asking membership if they agree.

With Little being at the helm I am 100% sure it isn't indecision. The other two options are ugly.
Mother of god will you shut the fu** up about politics.

Top Bottom