Remove this Banner Ad

Squeaky

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2005
Up north
AFL Club
Essendon
I think X has been good.
The off field is flying - however our core business is to win footy games & we are not doing that.
I don't think it is his fault.

We are a big club off the field but a minnow on it...
(he shouldn't have withdrawn his critical tweet of one of the previous piss poor performances. He is allowed to call out a s**t performance. I'd rather him do that than make excuses cos the EFC players use excuses like a crutch)

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
Any idea on if he has a KPI attached to membership numbers? Club gave out a stack of free memberships to inflate the final figure, and beat its chest on "achieving" a record number.

They'd obviously be hoping those members renew next year, or there'll be a big fall in the figures. I wonder how they'll spin it, if the team limps the rest of the season numbers might drop pretty sharply.

Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important
Any idea on if he has a KPI attached to membership numbers? Club gave out a stack of free memberships to inflate the final figure, and beat its chest on "achieving" a record number.

They'd obviously be hoping those members renew next year, or there'll be a big fall in the figures. I wonder how they'll spin it, if the team limps the rest of the season numbers might drop pretty sharply.
Good question. I didn't renew this year yet last week got a $25 membership offer.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
He’s been good from an off-field perspective. He’s entertained the idea of increasing our home games at the MCG before, but I hope he seriously puts the idea into motion.

Access is becoming increasingly limited with the growing number of members. We’ve outgrown Marvel.

Added advantage of playing home games at the home of finals.

Ideally we play only two or 3 home games at Marvel, but hopefully we can aim for at least 7 home games at the MCG.

his main KPI's would be around profit and yes increased membership growth.

i would confidently suggest he would have very low to zero KPI's around match day performance because he has no involvement and or input in it.

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Some CEO's would have more football department involvement than others (Ben Gale for example), including senior coaching appointments. More involvement implies more responsibility, though it's the board that undertakes ultimate responsibility for the success or failings of the club's performance in all areas - or at least it should be held accountable to those deliverables!

his main KPI's would be around profit and yes increased membership growth.

i would confidently suggest he would have very low to zero KPI's around match day performance because he has no involvement and or input in it.
Membership numbers are pretty farcical as a metric these days. How many dogs or cats have you seen taking up their seat?

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
He’s been good from an off-field perspective. He’s entertained the idea of increasing our home games at the MCG before, but I hope he seriously puts the idea into motion.

Access is becoming increasingly limited with the growing number of members. We’ve outgrown Marvel.

Added advantage of playing home games at the home of finals.

Ideally we play only two or 3 home games at Marvel, but hopefully we can aim for at least 7 home games at the MCG.
Afl members at marvel is a joke. Impossible to get a decent seat unless you book weeks in advance

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen

Not sure if it were Jade who may have suggested we had one of the highest membership revenue numbers in the AFL.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
Not sure if it were Jade who may have suggested we had one of the highest membership revenue numbers in the AFL.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd read somewhere earlier in the year a ladder that had us mid table, but not sure if the metric was per member or total money. I can't find it, but i did find 2018 figures

Did they?

Members that hadn’t renewed were given a freebie 3 game membership or something yeah. We ended up with 84k, we’re in the high 70s before that I think (maybe 78k?)

The other numbers in that link are interesting too. Pokies revenue, social clubs, football department expenditure, assets.

The membership figure rose sharply prior to closure from my memory. I know that free memberships were given out because I received one, it was an opt-out situation too. There'd more than likely be members out there who don't even know they are.
Is that only this year or has it happened in previous years?

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I'd read somewhere earlier in the year a ladder that had us mid table, but not sure if the metric was per member or total money. I can't find it, but i did find 2018 figures
View attachment 727170
Interesting reading.

Stated goal of the club is to be top 4 in all key on and off field measures by 2021

Membership numbers are pretty farcical as a metric these days. How many dogs or cats have you seen taking up their seat?

yes probably.

but nonetheless his KPI's would be to increase them!

the PILL

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2007
VICTORIA
AFL Club
Essendon
I wonder how they'll spin it, if the team limps the rest of the season numbers might drop pretty sharply.

Simple, we will win the off season again with some slick draft/trade voodoo and the next letter in the alphabet will be flicked to for a new batch of freebie mini footy's and a scarf.

I actually think membership will increase again tbh even sighting whats happened lately. We are propaganda gods and my credit card deets will be no exception again. 😑

In saying that...

Membership fees feel like buying a lotto ticket these days, one day my numbers will come up (maybe lol). I may be in a nursing home when we snatch that illusive prize but hey it's a small luxury I like to treat myself too.

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
I think its a figure they can stick in front of sponsors. If we want those Frontline Plus dollars, then you've got to show you can generate a decent partnership.

84k emails on how we cured Stringer's worm problem, could be onto something here...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back