mattis117

Premium Platinum
Aug 20, 2010
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Manchester City
That knife cuts both ways though. If a club isnt happy with your performance, can they just cut you from the list? Should there be a mimimum pay/contract?
The game is built on equalization ideals (some might say communist) and for all intents and purposes, it works.
The end result of 'free trade' is that a few (Man U, Barcelona) dominate and the rest make up the numbers.
It happens everywhere. Banks, Airlines, Supermarkets, Petrol stations, whatever.
A little bit of free trade came to the AFL and Hawthorn clearly benefited.
If a tight reign needs to be kept on both payments and player movements otherwise it will change the fabric of the game.
I don't disagree with your sentiment, but I do disagree with who is responsible for ensuring that doesn't happen.

There are rules that must be followed, such as, as a player you must see out your contract with the club you have signed on with. If player movement is causing inequality among the league, then it is the AFL's responsibility to bring that back into check. A player should not be made to feel guilt simply for accepting the best offer in front of them. I don't think Australians would support a league as unbalanced as the EPL, and money is the major motivating factor here for all internal parties involved. They want an even competition, but must balance that with a player's right to choose who they provide their services to.

This is not easy, which is why the system is always going to be a compromise between two competing ideals.

Carnthedockers

Premiership Player
Aug 31, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hmm

Attachments

• DE4397F2-12C4-42AD-BC9F-22C5A6B370D9.png
    DE4397F2-12C4-42AD-BC9F-22C5A6B370D9.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

Tbonefreo

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2013
Wagga
AFL Club
Fremantle
Alls Cerra or Brayshaw need is about 14 touches to get a rising star nom nxt week. Under the spotlight at the moment. *ing viccos

LeftFootBanana

All Australian
Aug 7, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Always had a soft spot for Doddy - he was the last AFL player that turned up to my kids junior footy training. And my kids played footy for another 10 years after that.

Back