Toast Cerra - Rising Star

Remove this Banner Ad

Not that it'd keep anyone awake at night - I wouldn't be holding my breath on any nominations this year.
His last two games have been brilliant but have been “beaten” by two standout (one off) performances, there’s no way Ronke doesn’t get it this week.

"He is a highly skilled player and we can’t wait to see him with another summer under his belt. He is so humble, Andy is so humble there are some good signs for us as a club."

He really isn't though is he Ross?

Saw his interview after the game, "humble" just isn't in the conversation. He loves himself, and it's great.

How about Josh Kelly?

"He is a highly skilled player and we can’t wait to see him with another summer under his belt. He is so humble, Andy is so humble there are some good signs for us as a club."

He really isn't though is he Ross?

Saw his interview after the game, "humble" just isn't in the conversation. He loves himself, and it's great.

It would be hard not to with such a magnificent head of hair.

This guy is all class, his handball speed is fantastic, kicking skills great and must only be being held back from the midfield because of his lack of a preseason. Does not get caught with the ball, has great awareness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta say, though I didn't publicly admit it, I got sucked into some of the negativity at draft time that we might have drafted the most 'vanilla' of the top 6 fancies, based on nothing more than the common consensus of the unwashed masses at the time.

Now I'm starting to think we might have got the classiest of the lot.

Gotta say, though I didn't publicly admit it, I got sucked into some of the negativity at draft time that we might have drafted the most 'vanilla' of the top 6 fancies, based on nothing more than the common consensus of the unwashed masses at the time.

I was the same, Ysaye knew what he was talking about when he had huge raps on him. Kudos

Meanwhile LDU looks really laconic, sorta like Brennan Cox.

Cerra is absolute silk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meanwhile LDU looks really laconic, sorta like Brennan Cox.

Cerra is absolute silk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s interesting isn’t it. LDU appeared to have dash out of the contest and high end pace in the ‘highlights video’. Where Cerra was an accumulator in the highlights video. I think Cerra lead score involvements in the under 18s. His form has translated into AFL. He’s involved in plenty of scoring chains. Imagine when we get him in the middle permanently in 2-3 seasons time.

You also have to think, Freo are lightening their training loads to fast track the number of games they get. I’m not sold on this practice. I would think gym / development time is just as important as game time for these kids.

I wonder if other clubs do the same.

It’s interesting isn’t it. LDU appeared to have dash out of the contest and high end pace in the ‘highlights video’. Where Cerra was an accumulator in the highlights video. I think Cerra lead score involvements in the under 18s. His form has translated into AFL. He’s involved in plenty of scoring chains. Imagine when we get him in the middle permanently in 2-3 seasons time.

You also have to think, Freo are lightening their training loads to fast track the number of games they get. I’m not sold on this practice. I would think gym / development time is just as important as game time for these kids.

I wonder if other clubs do the same.

Physical development will come with multiple pre-seasons. The development of their footy smarts us happening every game they play.

With the amount of inexperience we have, especially in the 50-150 game bracket is stopping consistency.

If they have the talent, pump games into them.

Physical development will come with multiple pre-seasons. The development of their footy smarts us happening every game they play.

With the amount of inexperience we have, especially in the 50-150 game bracket is stopping consistency.

If they have the talent, pump games into them.

Still not sold on it, occasionally Cerra gets ragdolled by a CHB or FB and I think, I hope he doesn’t pop a shoulder. Mind you, experienced players pop shoulders too.

Historically, yes.

Aside from the occasional blinder of a game from new kids in Victoria - there have been a few middle of the road performances deemed worthy of nomination. In recent years it's taken the likes of record breaking games to be considered a nod with Luke Ryan's record equaling intercept marking. Sean Darcy cracked a few records last year that were overlooked in favour of 'weight of numbers' nominations elsewhere.

Not that it'd keep anyone awake at night - I wouldn't be holding my breath on any nominations this year.
How Nyhuis missed out on debut still baffles me

I see RTB's eyes light up when he talks about Cerra and even more so when he mentioned on the weekend that they look forward to getting a proper pre-season into him for 2019.

I didn't know what to expect from Cerra early in the season. Like many, I was impressed early by Brayshaw.
While I'm not disappointed by what Brayshaw has so far shown (far from it), I'm now very excited by what Cerra is giving us a taste of.

I've got a spreadsheet with the top 15 picks from the 2017 draft. It contains all the stats I can find for them.
When compared to the Top15, some of Cerra's notable rankings are; Disposal Efficiency 2nd, Effective Disposals 2nd, Scoring Involvements 2nd, Inside50s 2nd, Clearances 2nd, Pressure Acts 3rd, Least Frees Against, Least Clangers.

What those stats clearly show is what we are seeing ... he has silky skills and is able to use them effectively both around the midfield and for scoring.

The only area that currently looks poor is his intercept possessions, ranked the worst of all 15 (averaging 0.4 per game, eg. Brayshaw is 2.3).
And his others stats that I haven't mentioned are all pretty much above average (for the 2017 Top15 drafts).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back