CEY and Hugh

Remove this Banner Ad

Im not dismissing tank or running power however these attributes become ineffective if you cant win the contest first, football 101 in ANY era
Sure, but with Brouch, Sloane and Mrouch fit they're all better contest winners and can actually get outside ball as well

That's what I'm saying, we've been playing an inside heavy midfield out of necessity rather than choice. Our recent drafting and taking the midfield away from Campo suggests we're trying to move to a more multi-dimensional midfield approach to suit how the game is evolving.

If Greenwood wants to be here in 2 years when a raft of early draft picks in Gooch, Jones and Flanders come on, he will need to build his tank significantly so he can spread and impact the game after the bounce.

Pyke is not a fan of one trick ponies

No no Saltpeter, Pyke doesn't like such one trick ponies. Even ones picked everytime they were available since rnd 9 2017. Even ones that finish 5th in the club champ award, even ones that are effective up forward.
yet he kept being picked. Played a nice cameo against Brisbane in the forward line and nailed a few goals ..!!! Go figure

When all said and done when our first choice centre (MCrouch) and followers (Sloane, Gibbs and Brouch) are available with our outside wingers (Smith, Seeds, Atkins and Mackay) available, Hugh is not starting in the centre.

We then have forward half marking targets of Tex, JJ and Lynch with smalls of Eddie plus one if Gooch/McAdam/Chayce/ Ned. That leaves 1 other marking or pressure forward and I will say, for the sake if argument, this is Chayce assuming that Gooch is first selected.

We then have an interchange, and making assumptions of the above starting line up, that equals a battle between Atkins, Mackay, Fog, Knighta, McAdam, Ned, Douglas, Murphy, CEY and Greenwood.

If injuries are not a nightmare (in Burton we trust!!) then Hugh has a battle to make the best 22 when you consider those listed and their impact on the game.

I just don't agree he is "definitely starting 22"

When all said and done when our first choice centre (MCrouch) and followers (Sloane, Gibbs and Brouch) are available with our outside wingers (Smith, Seeds, Atkins and Mackay) available, Hugh is not starting in the centre.

We then have forward half marking targets of Tex, JJ and Lynch with smalls of Eddie plus one if Gooch/McAdam/Chayce/ Ned. That leaves 1 other marking or pressure forward and I will say, for the sake if argument, this is Chayce assuming that Gooch is first selected.

We then have an interchange, and making assumptions of the above starting line up, that equals a battle between Atkins, Mackay, Fog, Knighta, McAdam, Ned, Douglas, Murphy, CEY and Greenwood.

If injuries are not a nightmare (in Burton we trust!!) then Hugh has a battle to make the best 22 when you consider those listed and their impact on the game.

I just don't agree he is "definitely starting 22"
lol

I agree that the moment, both are giving us a similar amount of output.

The thing with Greenwood is that he does some amazing things with the ball, particularly in terms of winning it in situations he has no right to win it in, but he doesn't yet do enough of the "easy" stuff. It's a bit like Dangerfield in the early days, where he'd win 15 excellent contested possessions but nothing else along the way.

If he can add some of the easier possessions to his game and get his disposal count up to the high 20s, he will become a very good player.

CEY doesn't seem like he has much to add to his game. He might continue to improve bit by bit, but he's never going to be a standout. Greenwood could be. That's the difference between them.

If he can add some of the easier possessions to his game and get his disposal count up to the high 20s, he will become a very good player.

Huge IF and mainly tied to his tank.

His contested numbers are only slightly less than Matt Crouch (13 v 12), yet Crouch averages 33 total disposals while Greenwood is in the Dmac zone (17 total).

He can get it when it goes his way at stoppage, but is a virtual nonentity in field play.

Our strength in 2017 was fluid ball movement. 2018 everyone worked us out and slowed us down to stoppage play. Pyke is obviously aware, hence the early draft picks on mids that can 1) win ball in and out, plus 2) use it, plus 3) run all day.

No no Saltpeter, Pyke doesn't like such one trick ponies. Even ones picked everytime they were available since rnd 9 2017. Even ones that finish 5th in the club champ award, even ones that are effective up forward.
A lame duck could've limped into 5th in our BnF last year. Hugh needs to buy Burton a beer.

Where did he come on votes per game?

Oohh dear.

Anyone who might question THE MIGHTY THOR, do yourself a favour and check out the last 10 minutes of the game against the Eagles last year.

TMT is currently playing as a Defensive Inside Midfielder with some time spent as a forward. He plays a different role to Matty Crouch, Sloane, Gibbs and Brad Crouch. His primary role at stoppages is to stop the best opposition midfielder getting clean ball out of the stoppage.
Is it a coincidence how often he gets a hand to the ball when the opposition ruckman wins the tap?
Is it a coincidence that his clearances per stoppage is amongst the best in the league?

It is impossible to quantify how the operation and restricted pre-season will affect him in 2019. I expect him to spend more time forward this year, but when the game is on the line just check who is in the centre square.

P.S. He might still win the Brownlow this year ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pyke is not a fan of one trick ponies

But he is a fan of someone who is elite at the contest, makes more space on the outside with his blocks and cunning use of the ball, tackles strongly, applies elite pressure AND goes forward and kicks goals.

Pyke and coaching staff would definitely be a fan, and so should you.

What more could you honestly want. He might not get as much of the ball, but he's certainly more versatile and dynamic than someone like Matt Crouch, so why aren't you teeing off at Matt?

The turn this thread has taken is joke worthy.

My main knock on CEY is that once the ball gets more than about 5m from him, he loses all intent to do anything and just walks. It got to the point last year when teams were deliberately attacking through his man because they knew CEY wouldn't be anywhere near him. If he could fix that then he'd probably be in the 22, whether it's because he's buggered from tackling and clearance work I've no idea.
Greenwood imo does a similar amount of clearance work, but looks cleaner and actually provides significant defensive pressure, something that a lot of our team lacks. Plus he looks effective up forward and provides a POD up there when resting

20 metre sprint times (<3 secs. is elite)
Hugh Greenwood 2.97 s

0.01 second slower than Gallucci...wow
Thats fast.
Repeat sprinting IS basketball

think it's his aerobic conditioning eg a Sloane seems to find the ability to run defensively.
Would be very hard to measure.

What more could you honestly want. He might not get as much of the ball, but he's certainly more versatile and dynamic than someone like Matt Crouch, so why aren't you teeing off at Matt?

Matt actually gets most of his ball on the outside. He contributes outside stoppage in open play. To suggest Greenwood is more versatile than Crouch is hilarious.

Fanbois getting hilarious in here

Matt actually gets most of his ball on the outside. He contributes outside stoppage in open play. To suggest Greenwood is more versatile than Crouch is hilarious.

Fanbois getting hilarious in here

You are now acting like a typical troll that picks apart comments to suit your argument. I dont think anybody is suggesting that Hugh is on the same level as Matt Crouch, who is an absolute star. But Matt has a specific role and certain strengths to his game. Same goes for Rory, Brad and Bryce. Hugh, and CEY for that matter, brings a different set of strengths to that group. Its not to say either are better, or you would even consider playing them before our top 4 line up.

Hugh doesn't have a good enough tank, I doubt you will find anybody that will argue against that. But given the tank he has, he is a very good player for us. The fact that he has been getting games on a fitness base that is probably 20% less than the rest of the team is testament to how highly we must rate his contributions. Will be interesting to see if that changes with a full list to choose from.

You are now acting like a typical troll that picks apart comments to suit your argument. I dont think anybody is suggesting that Hugh is on the same level as Matt Crouch, who is an absolute star. But Matt has a specific role and certain strengths to his game. Same goes for Rory, Brad and Bryce. Hugh, and CEY for that matter, brings a different set of strengths to that group. Its not to say either are better, or you would even consider playing them before our top 4 line up.

Hugh doesn't have a good enough tank, I doubt you will find anybody that will argue against that. But given the tank he has, he is a very good player for us. The fact that he has been getting games on a fitness base that is probably 20% less than the rest of the team is testament to how highly we must rate his contributions. Will be interesting to see if that changes with a full list to choose from.
Sorry only read your first two sentences. WTF are you talking about? The poster I quoted said Greenwood was more versatile than Crouch.

Greenwood is so limited by his aerobic scope that he is even more limited to stoppage play than Thommo.

Get a grip man. Facts don't care about whatever your love is based on.

This sums it up nicely. Hugh is picked ahead of CEY no doubt, but both at risk of being left out of the 22 this year if we are better managed and the side isn't swamped by injuries.

If the middle 4 are fit, the forward line is going well, Hugh is squeezing onto the bench or playing SANFL.

A lame duck could've limped into 5th in our BnF last year. Hugh needs to buy Burton a beer.

Where did he come on votes per game?

Define versatility....? Matt wins more ball the outside, but you don't see him resting forward and playing one out of the goal square and clunking marks do you now?

Sorry only read your first two sentences. WTF are you talking about? The poster I quoted said Greenwood was more versatile than Crouch.

Greenwood is so limited by his aerobic scope that he is even more limited to stoppage play than Thommo.

Get a grip man. Facts don't care about whatever your love is based on.

Again you seem to be confusing versatility for output (which is tied into the fitness levels debate).

Last edited:
IMO hypothetically if Greenwood isn’t in our 22, then his the best player in the AFL not getting a game but stats won’t back that up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back