Opinion CEY how many games next year? Can he make an impact?

Remove this Banner Ad

So despite disproving that at AFL level, the coaching group fails to update their view. No wonder guys who are hopelessly out of form get selected week after week. We run a belief based football dept.
Or maybe the coaches see him day in day out, and know what his kicking is like 95% of the time, while the fans focus on the 5% of the time where he does actually hit a target and say "his kicking is fine"?

Maybe.. I don't know. What I do know is that he did hit a number of good targets in 2015. Prior to that, he was lucky if his kicks landed in the same postcode as the intended recipient. Maybe we see what we want/expect to see? Confirmation bias - same goes for the coaching staff?

Or maybe the coaches see him day in day out, and know what his kicking is like 95% of the time, while the fans focus on the 5% of the time where he does actually hit a target and say "his kicking is fine"?

Maybe.. I don't know. What I do know is that he did hit a number of good targets in 2015. Prior to that, he was lucky if his kicks landed in the same postcode as the intended recipient. Maybe we see what we want/expect to see? Confirmation bias - same goes for the coaching staff?

I can only judge by what I see, which is only what he did at AFL level last year and a couple of preseason games a year or so back. He might miss every target at training, I have no idea. Your postcode comment is a bit odd considering you've likely only seen what I've seen which suggests any confirmation bias would be against the quality of his leg. He was inside so much he mostly handballed anyway and I'm sure I recall Walsh saying he wanted him to kick more. Which I think would come when he realises how much time he creates for himself at the top level. Experience at the level will bring that.

I can only judge by what I see, which is only what he did at AFL level last year and a couple of preseason games a year or so back. He might miss every target at training, I have no idea. Your postcode comment is a bit odd considering you've likely only seen what I've seen which suggests any confirmation bias would be against the quality of his leg. He was inside so much he mostly handballed anyway and I'm sure I recall Walsh saying he wanted him to kick more. Which I think would come when he realises how much time he creates for himself at the top level. Experience at the level will bring that.
As I said, last year he was good in those 10 games. At least that's the way I saw it. I think you (and most other BF fans) saw things the same way. The coaches may have seen things differently.

Prior to that, I can't remember him hitting a target. I can remember seeing him kick it OOTF three times in a single game (pre-season from memory) and I can also remember him missing multiple targets by 20+m - challenging when you're only kicking it 35m, but he achieved it with stunning regularity. That's why his 2015 kicking skills were such a revelation - they were a complete reversal of everything we'd ever seen from him.

Experience & confidence can only count for so much. They will give you the time and composure to kick with a degree of confidence, rather than feeling like you're constantly rushing and/or under pressure. Neither will help if your kicking technique is just plain awful - which, unfortunately, is where I think his problem lies.

I saw quite a bit of CEY in 2014 and concluded that he could actually kick very well....over long distances. His problems were hitting targets around 30m, something wasn't quite working when he had to take something off the kick.

The other thing that stood out as AFL standard was his clearance work in close...a beast with really quick and clever hands

I was very surprised at how his short kicking improved early in 2015.

I'm not really sure how to explain it but it's almost like when you see a kid develop gross motor skills well before fine motor skills.

It's taken a while but I have a feeling the body is just about ready to execute on what the mind intends

I saw quite a bit of CEY in 2014 and concluded that he could actually kick very well....over long distances. His problems were hitting targets around 30m, something wasn't quite working when he had to take something off the kick.

The other thing that stood out as AFL standard was his clearance work in close...a beast with really quick and clever hands

I'm not really sure how to explain it but it's almost like when you see a kid develop gross motor skills well before fine motor skills.

It's taken a while but I have a feeling the body is just about ready to execute on what the mind intends

He's a graceful gazelle about to explore his inner beauty. I may have let my mind wonder there

Ha ha - yeah I had to edit my post after re reading it....I'd drifted into the w...er zone!!**

**in before the rush that I'm always in the w...er zone :D

It's got me through many a lonely night

Rewatching the Brisbane game there were a few moments where you'd thought the ball was stuck in a big pile of players and CEY grabbed it and fired out a quick handpass through traffic and find a Crow on the outside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So despite disproving that at AFL level, the coaching group fails to update their view. No wonder guys who are hopelessly out of form get selected week after week. We run a belief based football dept.
it's the Mackay effect in reverse

In response to the thread title: Probably 22. And probably not. But I hope he does, and I like that he's done some extra training to make the most of himself.
Do you really think he'll be allowed to play 22 games if he's unable to make an impact?

My knock on him isn't his kicking, he's a pretty good kick for goal, it's the almost complete lack of defensive effort or 2 way running. Just swans around looking like he can't be bothered. Even worse than Thommo

Do you really think he'll be allowed to play 22 games if he's unable to make an impact?
Possibly, plenty of other selections make as much sense as that.
Look, he'll have the odd good game which will keep him in the frame. But I struggle to see who we'd replace him with anyway, it's like we've got 2 season ending injuries in the mids from round 1, forcing us to play depth. Hope I'm wrong.

I knew one of his threads would be bumped. It's make or break for him just as he said. Hopefully he can stay injury free, if he does and has a really good pre-season it would be crazy not to have in round 1 considering the effort he's gone to on his own time and also the state of our MF. What he does with opportunity is up to him I guess. I think (hope) he'll be given a decent go, it's not like we've got a plethora of inside mid options anymore.

Quite a few in my circles reckon he's SANFL at best.
I like his height if he can consolidate a midfield spot, its not something we have in there, skills are OK ( I remember back when he laced out a few medium length passes to Walker ) maybe this will really help him breakthrough.

Can we trade him for Lyons. Very average footballer - should fit in quite well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back