Toast CFC Team of the Decade 1970s

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah although I think he was shot by then. He only played a couple of games for them and didn't set the world on fire. Mind you, he didn't have Price giving him silver service either.
He kicked 36 goals for them from 11 games in 77, you said you only needed another point ;)

How many of those players went to other teams?
I count 7.
11 of them left Collingwood at some stage to play for another VFL club.
I counted 11 that went to other clubs from that team.
I was just doing the same exercise!
B Magro Worthington Dunne
HB Adamson Picken Hyde
C Greening Price Barham
HF Daicos Carman Kink
F Moore Mckenna W Richardson
R Thompson Tuddenham R Shaw
Int M Richardson Dean Atkinson

B Magro Worthington Dunne
HB Adamson Picken Hyde
C Greening Price Barham
HF Daicos Carman Kink
F Moore Mckenna W Richardson
R Thompson Tuddenham R Shaw
Int M Richardson Dean Atkinson
Lee Adamson played most of his games in the 60's. Even though he only started with us in '78, I'd put Ray Byrne ahead of Lee Adamson.

If Daicos qualifies then so does Dennis Banks. I'd have him in the back pocket ahead of Dunne. Andrew Ireland was a very good (under rated) HBF.

More importantly, how could you leave out Geoff Hayward? Obviously more concerned with his off field habits than on field prowess! Glad to see Tank in there though.
Danny surely gets a run too for his years of service. Poor sod barely had enough money to take his family to pizza palace.

Laurie surely is coach of the decade for the turn around and flag after he was almost turfed for Rostoff!

Lee Adamson played most of his games in the 60's. Even though he only started with us in '78, I'd put Ray Byrne ahead of Lee Adamson.
Adamson's best year stat wise was 1970
1966 to 1969 - 54 games & 1970 to 1973 - 42 games Ray Byrne second in line for position https://forever.collingwoodfc.com.au/players/lee-adamson/

Just to refresh a few people's memory
There are a few names here that were solid contributors

Ohlsen, Morris, Brewer Carlson, Banks (just a rookie)to name a few and Ronnie Wearmouth is everywhere. Kink was a powerhouse of a footballler

Yeah although I think he was shot by then. He only played a couple of games for them and didn't set the world on fire. Mind you, he didn't have Price giving him silver service either.
McKenna played very well in the 4 practice matches played in 1977 but then fell out with the committee over his match payments. He would have been handy in the 1977 GF after the idiot Carman got himself suspended.

My team would be as follows

B Magro Worthington Waters
HB Byrne Picken Hyde
C Dean Price Barham
HF Greening Carman Kink
F Moore McKenna R Shaw
R Thompson M Richardson W Richardson

Int Anderson Dunne Wearmouth Jenkin

Tuddy was there only in 70 and 71 and when he came back in 76 and the first 2 games of 77 he was past it.

Greening should be in the centre but as Price is there I have him ruck roving with Max Richardson. He kicked his 7 goals v Carlton in 1969 as a ruck rover.

My team would be as follows

B Magro Worthington Waters
HB Byrne Picken Hyde
C Dean Price Barham
HF Greening Carman Kink
F Moore McKenna R Shaw
R Thompson M Richardson W Richardson

Tuddy was there only in 70 and 71 and when he came back in 76 and the first 2 games of 77 he was past it.

Greening should be in the centre but as Price is there I have him ruck roving with Max Richardson. He kicked his 7 goals v Carlton in 1969 as a ruck rover.
Anderson is an interesting choice. I liked him a lot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was quiet in the Grand Finals of 1977 and 1979 (not alone there in the 70s) but he was a great player otherwise and a goal scoring half forward flanker who could kick long goals on the run.
I followed him at Port Melbourne. When he came to us I thought we had a gun. My expectations probably exceeded his abilities. I always thought he could have been better....but I remember him kicking three and four goals regularly

His contribution in those two years was outstanding.
I still remember him kicking 8 against Footscray in the season opener in 1971.

His contribution in those two years was outstanding.
I still remember him kicking 8 against Footscray in the season opener in 1971.
Yes it was a hot day that day, I remember that game and I think it was actually 9! He had a great 1971 that is for sure. He also captained Victoria in 1971 though not captain of Collingwood for political reasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back