Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't help but notice that the commentators for the NBA, NFL and EPL are all professional, career commentators. There are precious few pro commentators when it comes to AFL, which is a great pity. Dennis was a world class pro and Bruce is clearly a professional (while at times annoying), but it is a struggle to find a pro after that. Ex players can make good comments presenters (Gerard Healy and Jonathon Brown are excellent), but it would be difficult to develop players into competent commentators unless they come from a broadcasting background. A professional commentator will never allow bias to show through and won't lower themselves to barrack - like Dwayne Russell, Eddie Maguire, Sean Darcy etc. often do. Perhaps Channel 7 and Fox should get Dennis to train and mentor the few current potential career commentators and then develop some others. That way they could get rid of Eddie, Dwayne, Sean and the like. I am sure that the long suffering AFL viewers deserve better.
Anthony hudson is as proffessional as they come

Hitchens was a self important, pompous, speaking circuit wannabee celebrity, who did little more than burn the straw man with popular bubble gum arguments against theology. Similar to Richard Dawkins.

But that is just my opinion.

Hitchens didn't do sports.

Bruce hasn't been the same since Ch 7 got the rights back in 2007.

I think there's a bit in this. Different reasons though. McAvaney had to cop 5 years of Anthony Hudson impersonating / morphing into him. When Bruce got back to footy it was like he had to go to another level of Bruceness. Sadly it resulted in him becoming a caricature of himself

Edit : Forgot to mention - please someone in Perth. Find the goat photos that Basil has of 7 senior management and destroy them. That campaigner needs to be removed from all forms of broadcasting

Mute button. If people watched more and listened less they learn a whole lot more about what’s really happening out there.

But if you put on the "mute button' you miss the sounds of the game.

I tried muting it. But I missed not hearing the crowd noises, the sound of the ball on the ground, the swishing as players ran past, and, surprising, even the umpires calling out.

Using the "red button" Foxtel used to have on Fox Footy years ago was heaven. You got all the sounds, but no commentary.

It was the next best thing to actually being at a game.

There is literally nothing redeemable about Seven's commentary team. It's an unmitigated disaster on every line. The problem starts with BT, his "look at me" antics encourage those around him to further treat the game they are supposed to be taking seriously with the utmost disrespect. And the sycophantic enablers, Lingy, Richo, Darce, Basil etc won't be the ones to get the train back on the tracks.

Channel 10 nailed the set up when they had the rights long ago. It's bloody shameful what we have to put up with with Seven

But if you put on the "mute button' you miss the sounds of the game.

I tried muting it. But I missed not hearing the crowd noises, the sound of the ball on the ground, the swishing as players ran past, and, surprising, even the umpires calling out.

Using the "red button" Foxtel used to have on Fox Footy years ago was heaven. You got all the sounds, but no commentary.

It was the next best thing to actually being at a game.
Agree. Unfortunately the red button proved to be TOO popular - the commentators were heading for the dole queue!

I often just turn the sound down but not off so that the inane waffling doesn't dominate the lounge room and we can provide our own commentary if necessary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Comettis last couple of years on 7 were cringeworthy... him and bruce got worse.

I felt like Cometti was constantly trying to fit in some song lyrics/one liner into every passage of play instead of just calling.
Was glad to see him go at the end which is a shame coz he was great in the 90s/2000s.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
They are told to perform by channel 7 to appeal to the lowest common denominator, changing into a reality TV type filth experience.

Channel 7 appeal to the lowest common denominator look at all the shows especially reality TV shows they have outside sport.

Why not just listen to a preferred radio station whilst watching the footy?

AFL app has multiple streams of every game which is great! But quite delayed unfortunately.
Works well if not watching the game but doesn’t sync up at all if you are at the game or on TV, unless you can pause it.

When the game changes so does the commentary. More stoppages, more short kicks, less goals = boofheads in admin and commentary at networks thinking they have to fill in the gaps with banter and overblown excitement for e.g. a little tap on to a player. It's done for the 'uncommon' denominator and that's why more people are switching off.
Dumbing down everything seems to be the flavour of the decade in more than just footy these days. Check out the dickhead politicians and their over the top bullshit.

In addition to the general annoying aspects others have pointed out, one of the aspects about commentary which I don’t like is that I’ve noticed it (at least in my case) stops me having my own thoughts, because I’m listening to the commentators put their own spin on the game, gushing over a bit of play from a well known player, talking about Sicily’s cocky attitude for the millionth time, brown nosing the umpires, just crap I do not care about. It’s not a complete block on my own thoughts, mind you, I’m not a complete idiot, but definitely a hindrance.

The times when I’ve had enough and muted it, I’ve found myself being a lot more involved in the game, thinking about how the play is developing, where each of the players are and who they matched up against etc., and basically just thinking about things for myself.

Just a feed of the crowd/game noise would be ideal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back