Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

david addison

Team Captain
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse... they give us choreographed pre game on field interviews. Here's my faves:

Last weekend they made Scott walk across the field while they interviewed him, and at the end he had to run back to where they started.

Two weeks ago, I forget which coach, but they walked him in the general direction of the interchange bench, and the idea clearly was for all of them to sit on the bench but only BT remembered, so he was sitting alone on the bench hoping the others would join him. They didn't.

Alan Richardson. This is my favourite. Last year or the year before. Two interviewers were flanking him, and the three of them were clearly told by the producer to walk across the field and not to stop because stopping would cause a static and boring picture. Richo unfortunately has trouble walking and talking at the same time. He needs to stop and think before he answers a question. At first they gave him subtle hints to keep walking, but eventually they had to physically prod him. It looked like a kidnapping.

And the funniest thing I've seen at a game this year.... Danny Frawley. The half time McCafe analysis. He looked like he turned up late, frantically put on his McCafe sweater and ruffled his hair. He looked like he was in a police lineup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

charcoalchicken

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
President of Terror Squad
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
It's not just the commentary, i think the crap they put on before the actual game is pretty s**thouse too, it's just cringe, the sunday footy show is putrid as well

I think another station needs to have a crack at it

Leather Poisoning

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
It's not just the commentary, i think the crap they put on before the actual game is pretty s**thouse too, it's just cringe, the sunday footy show is putrid as well

I think another station needs to have a crack at it
I know the old days always seem better than the new ones - but it was great back when it was Channel 10 also having part of the broadcasting rights. Made for some real competition between broadcasters.

Mordecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2006
I am here.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I know the old days always seem better than the new ones - but it was great back when it was Channel 10 also having part of the broadcasting rights. Made for some real competition between broadcasters.
So hard to know re: Good Old Days. There's definite comfort in wanting to go back to what you grew up with. Equally want to see improvements and change in the coverage. I don't blame them for trying new things but it's my belief there have been more misses than hits recently. I think the AFL are performing poorly compared to the media.

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Watching footy since the eighties and Ch 10 has smashed 7. For some reason seven has always adopted a cheesy folksy persona that seems aimed at a non discerning 10 yr old. Nine made it about the personalities and egos which was also annoying. Fox seems patchy with Dwayne and Lynch making it really hard work.

Ten seemed to get the balance right IMO.

May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Never thought I’d say this, but Seven has a good commentator on its hands. Jason Bennett is a genuinely superb play by play caller and, most importantly, good team man. Like the best players, he actually makes those around him better. Ling and Darcy were good at their jobs during the Lions/North game. Normally they are inane, self centred and making me reach for the mute button. As John Lennon may have said if he was watching Seven tonight: “Imagine there’s no w***ers, it’s easy if ...”

PostPaolo

Team Captain
Sep 4, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Never thought I’d say this, but Seven has a good commentator on its hands. Jason Bennett is a genuinely superb play by play caller and, most importantly, good team man. Like the best players, he actually makes those around him better. Ling and Darcy were good at their jobs during the Lions/North game. Normally they are inane, self centred and making me reach for the mute button. As John Lennon may have said if he was watching Seven tonight: “Imagine there’s no w***ers, it’s easy if ...”
Jason Bennett is an outstanding caller and should be given a regular gig in the 7AFL rotation, has been great doing the VFL for a few years.

Dogs Rule

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
BT and Hamish McGilsbro are to commentary what fingernails are to a blackboard.

McGilsbro has Russell's thing for inane social/personal facts about players 'Did you know player x has the longest blonde mullet in the league and was once state under 12s tiddlywinks champion?' Nobody gives a ****

BT uses his commentary box to indulge his own personal homoerotic fantasies with umpires/throw ins/players with funny sounding names and is like a creepy uncle.

Last edited:

wagstaff

Premiership Player
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse... they give us choreographed pre game on field interviews. Here's my faves:

Last weekend they made Scott walk across the field while they interviewed him, and at the end he had to run back to where they started.

Two weeks ago, I forget which coach, but they walked him in the general direction of the interchange bench, and the idea clearly was for all of them to sit on the bench but only BT remembered, so he was sitting alone on the bench hoping the others would join him. They didn't.

Alan Richardson. This is my favourite. Last year or the year before. Two interviewers were flanking him, and the three of them were clearly told by the producer to walk across the field and not to stop because stopping would cause a static and boring picture. Richo unfortunately has trouble walking and talking at the same time. He needs to stop and think before he answers a question. At first they gave him subtle hints to keep walking, but eventually they had to physically prod him. It looked like a kidnapping.

And the funniest thing I've seen at a game this year.... Danny Frawley. The half time McCafe analysis. He looked like he turned up late, frantically put on his McCafe sweater and ruffled his hair. He looked like he was in a police lineup.
I may have said this in other threads but it bears repeating: the increased 'access' players and coaches means absolutely zero to me.

They just dish up banal cliches and it's become incredibly easy to zone them out and treat them as background noise.

Top Bottom