Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Remove this Banner Ad

There was no false hatred yesterday. He was barracking all arvo long, it was putrid.

I agree he was barracking but I think it was more hoping that the underdog would get up than not wanting the eagles to win. I even found myself barracking for the blues yesterday just to spite Hagdorn and his comments on 6pr that morning.

Channel 7's target audience is the garden variety bogan so the likes of BT aren't going anywhere.

They need to have the option of just a stadium mic where all you get is the stadium noise as if you were actually at the game. I'd much sooner listen to that than the so called 'expert' commentators.
Going back a few years they had this option on Fox though the red button

I don’t watch afl much anymore but are they still amazed at how tall Patrick Cripps is? When it first started out it was a good point they were making but after the millionth time of hearing it you’d think he was 250cm

He’s actually taller than Wayne and Derm did you know?

Tom Harley was wise to leave, and Riewoldt will end up doing the same. Unless you're willing to participate in that garbage year after year and toe the line, best to get out while you still have a soul.

My nightmare is a marathon of Front Bar, or 6:30pm Kick on Sat nights. Mick Molloy is painfully unfunny nowadays, I can't remember the last time I laughed as a result of something he'd said. Commercial television is vicious.

People are never happy. Saturday night football is so watchable this year after the crap we had to deal with last year.

JB is significantly better than most callers in the game? Excitement? Yes. Accurate? Nearly always..

I don’t like Darcy, Hamish, Dwayne or Basil. But JB & Huddo are the best. BT and Eddie are good at least they add some levels of excitement. Everyone else meh

Tom Harley was wise to leave, and Riewoldt will end up doing the same. Unless you're willing to participate in that garbage year after year and toe the line, best to get out while you still have a soul.
Not just that - I think fundamentally guys who are smart enough go into coaching, administration or do something entirely different with their lives.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't stand the way Darcy talks
Selwood throws an undisciplined tantrum knocking the ball out of Wines' hand and giving away a 50m penalty.

"Such a competitive beast is Joel Selwood."

I think it was Jason Bennett (might be wrong) who commentated the last two friday night games and was amazing, then we get Basil for Sydney v Adelaide instead, like come on.

Seriously Fox isn't any better. Eddie is actually a great caller but allows his biases to filter through which becomes annoying. Huddo is okay, he and quartermain were a great pairing on channel 10. After that though, same boys club s**t that's on 7. Brereton, Brown, Healy, Russell, Johnson, spud Frawley, Dunstall. They all talk s**t.

7 actually have two very good callers in Papalia and Bennett but won't give them proper AFL gigs. They deserve the big games. Think Soders is actually very good down on the boundary too on the Adelaide games, and bell in Perth.

The arm chair experts at it again? They sit at home yelling at the TV "i can do a better job than that former 200 game former professional footballer"...:think:

We cannot pay enough attention to our favourite sporting pastimes, and anyone who doesn't spend every waking moment thinking of and speaking on the subject of sports is a wrong, bad, misguided hipster doofus!

But not everything we speak about sports is equally wise and insightful. We, the armchair experts only give a fat rats tossbag about our own team and how they are performing on the night, i have no idea who was Port Adelaide's best player last night, all i could think of was Lindsey Thomas's thuggery! Indeed, the world of sports commentary is littered with horrible cliches that do nothing but serve as bait for remote controls to get thrown through the screen. And I'm not talking about guys who bugger up the names or have the odd slip of the tongue; non stop play is tough work, and honestly it's kind of a miracle we don't hear more mispronounced names and explosive swearing during any given game. ( Hello Brian Taylor).

Last edited:
The biggest issue is the number of them. Everybody on air of course feels the need to actually talk. Why the * are there so many people?

Every other sport seems to have a commentator and a comments person. That’s it. Why do we have to have 5, 6 or 7 people talking absolute codshit?

I can see that you’d want two commentators as it’s such a fast paced, long game. So it should be them and one man on comments. That’s it. Anybody else is just a waste of space.

What the * is a “boundary rider” for? Oh it’s cold down here. Oh yeah it’s a really fast game up close. * me.

He has a media career because he is completely inoffensive*, uncontroversial and doesn't interfere with product placement.
That's why I can't stand him. Takes sycophancy to a whole new level.

And if he commentates Essendon in particular it's just unlistenable.

The arm chair experts at it again? They sit at home yelling at the TV "i can do a better job than that former 200 game former professional footballer"...:think:

I think part of the problem is just that - having played two hundred games doesn’t necessarily translate to being a good commentator. If that was the case, they’d also be excellent coaches

Yep, agree.
And for example, Sandy Roberts yesterday in saints game just misunderstood so many things that Riewoldt had to gently point out. I thought wow, he doesn’t get what is happening here and if it was on radio you would not have proper picture of the game.

Highlight was Sandy calling McCartin, Reiwoldt when Nick was sitting right next to him.

Sandy was a decent caller in his day. That day is long past.

Cameron Ling and Basil Z have actually made me turn the footy off. Atrocious.

Wayne Carey sounds like the pubescent boy on the Simpsons with his voice continually cracking.

Bruce's homoerotic calls are just downright creepy.

Brayshaw I don't mind. But not sure if there is anyone on better terms with himself than James.

Darcy is just boring. Boring and just not that good. Richo is boring too, but inoffensive.

BT isnt a bad caller when he tones it down. Total boofhead though.

There are good callers like Huddo, Whateley, Bennett and Papalia. Even McGuire is ok setting aside his interstate bias.

Actually, yes.

I could put together a panel of blokes from bigfooty that would do a better job than any commentary team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back