Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cleavy

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Apparently we have BT, JB, Basil, Holmes and Hodge calling the game on Saturday.

Anyone know when the rights are up? We might have to all pool our dollars and take them on.

Their must be some seriously delusional people making decisions about 7s football coverage. Perhaps to top it off we will have Tom Browne doing live crosses from the Melbourne FC WA supporters group at the local RSL.
current rights agreement was extended and runs until end of 2024 for all parties (7, Foxtel, Telstra)

the coverage needs (and will receive) more Basil.

Maybe Tomorrow

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Manchester United, All Blacks
BT was disgraceful tonight. The worst call for a big game in any major sport I have ever heard. How 7 have him as their number one caller is pathetic. Has wrecked far too many games and big moments this year.
BT has fallen apart this year, so many errors. Gets muddled or mis-speaks every few minutes it seems.

Tries too hard to say something memorable, instead sounds like a pissed bloke at the pub.

the Ziebull

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne
BT was disgraceful tonight. The worst call for a big game in any major sport I have ever heard. How 7 have him as their number one caller is pathetic. Has wrecked far too many games and big moments this year.
Channel 7 need to dump BT terrible commentator

only slightly amusing on radio. Should be far away from the serious stuff, has zero analysis and talks too much rubbish

Last edited:

Cleavy

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
First and only time this year watching on Channel 7.

Could not believe the number of ads during play. Thought it lost so much momentum after the thrilling goals.

Horrible. Hope this is corrected in the next media deal.
agreed. sometimes you want them to stick with the vision, so you can watch a replay of the moment, but nope.

Major Colvin

Premiership Player
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
I've I'm thrilled about the result last night but the commentary was honestly terrible.

I know Bruce has his issues, but he knows how to convey the excitement of a moment, the significance of a passage of play. BT has no feel for the game whatsoever - he seems like he's constantly trying to manufacture excitement rather than just call the game organically.

I remember the Dogs 2016 premiership with Cometti and McAvaney calling - they gave fantastic call in that last quarter. BT's commentary is just lacklustre and does detract a bit from the overall experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad