Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Apparently we have BT, JB, Basil, Holmes and Hodge calling the game on Saturday.

Anyone know when the rights are up? We might have to all pool our dollars and take them on.

Their must be some seriously delusional people making decisions about 7s football coverage. Perhaps to top it off we will have Tom Browne doing live crosses from the Melbourne FC WA supporters group at the local RSL.

current rights agreement was extended and runs until end of 2024 for all parties (7, Foxtel, Telstra)

the coverage needs (and will receive) more Basil.

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Manchester United, All Blacks
BT was disgraceful tonight. The worst call for a big game in any major sport I have ever heard. How 7 have him as their number one caller is pathetic. Has wrecked far too many games and big moments this year.
BT has fallen apart this year, so many errors. Gets muddled or mis-speaks every few minutes it seems.

Tries too hard to say something memorable, instead sounds like a pissed bloke at the pub.

BT was disgraceful tonight. The worst call for a big game in any major sport I have ever heard. How 7 have him as their number one caller is pathetic. Has wrecked far too many games and big moments this year.
Channel 7 need to dump BT terrible commentator

only slightly amusing on radio. Should be far away from the serious stuff, has zero analysis and talks too much rubbish

Last edited:
First and only time this year watching on Channel 7.

Could not believe the number of ads during play. Thought it lost so much momentum after the thrilling goals.

Horrible. Hope this is corrected in the next media deal.

agreed. sometimes you want them to stick with the vision, so you can watch a replay of the moment, but nope.

Major Colvin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
I've I'm thrilled about the result last night but the commentary was honestly terrible.

I know Bruce has his issues, but he knows how to convey the excitement of a moment, the significance of a passage of play. BT has no feel for the game whatsoever - he seems like he's constantly trying to manufacture excitement rather than just call the game organically.

I remember the Dogs 2016 premiership with Cometti and McAvaney calling - they gave fantastic call in that last quarter. BT's commentary is just lacklustre and does detract a bit from the overall experience.

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
"A legend becomes immortal...."

JB had that one written, prepared and practised all week for Buddy's 1000th. It was very understated. At first, I was underwhelmed by the call, but upon reflection maybe he was letting the pictures tell the story.

Very similar to Greg Miles' "a champion becomes a legend" after Maybe Diva's third consecutive Melbourne Cup.

JB had that one written, prepared and practised all week for Buddy's 1000th. It was very understated. At first, I was underwhelmed by the call, but upon reflection maybe he was letting the pictures tell the story.

A greater moment could have been the call "boy oh boy wowee"

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Disappointed in JB. Had to go to Wikipedia to see what private school Buddy went to.
Ha. Rohan Connolly did a grouse rant about this a while ago on his podcast. He was mostly joking, but concluded that the only reason the commentators mention the private schools so much is to get discounts on their kids’ fees :grinv1:

Last edited:

reubski23

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2009
Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tom Brady

I liked it - he let the pictures and the crowd noise do the talking with a decent pre-written line.

I think if it was in a passage of play rather than a mark and kick - he would have more of his flair.

Just glad BT didn't have the call.

RAPPA

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 20, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
I liked it - he let the pictures and the crowd noise do the talking with a decent pre-written line.

I think if it was in a passage of play rather than a mark and kick - he would have more of his flair.

Just glad BT didn't have the call.

I’d say BT would’ve followed on from his Boyd 2016 GF call. Something like:

“Buddy’s kicked his 100th goal. Buddy’s kicked his 100th goal…F*CK!”

Mar 19, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Dallas Cowboys
Does anyone review the commentary team and how they are going ? In all seriousness Luke Darcy is ******* unbearable. Just call the game mate stop trying for the fake excitement and carry on its just complete inane shite. Worse than Dwayne Russell deadset.

MisterB

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2008
Melboune
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Does any commentator butcher the game's or the English language more than Jobe? Last night I heard something like "the defenders like to suck off..." Presumably he meant sag off.

Then there was "moving in motion". What?

In the end, I lost count of the number of howlers from Tim's son.

Back