Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think 2 PbP is doable as long as they have contrasting styles e.g. Bruce and Dennis. BT and JB carry on too much for TV (but it seemingly works on radio). BT and Matt Hill could work if persisted with.

I remember hearing Tim Gossage and Matt Campbell calling together and thinking it didn’t work because both were too similar (notwithstanding Gossage is a WA biased flog).

Jobe Watson is outrageously bad. So inarticulate. I know he’s not a stupid fella but he just can’t get the words out, and doesn’t offer much when he does. The cronyism/nepotism is so bad in this whole footy industry. For Geelong games I have it on silent, but they find a way to ruin just about every game.
Not to mention he's a convicted drug cheat.

Matt Hill was brilliant. Hopefully it's not a one-off (would it be asking too much to have him co-call with either Bennett or Nicholson?)

And was he always scheduled to call games this year, or was he a late COVID-related fill in?

Matt Hill is the best all-round commentator in Australia - And he's right up there with Bill Collins for race-calling.

I think 2 PbP is doable as long as they have contrasting styles e.g. Bruce and Dennis. BT and JB carry on too much for TV (but it seemingly works on radio). BT and Matt Hill could work if persisted with.

I remember hearing Tim Gossage and Matt Campbell calling together and thinking it didn’t work because both were too similar (notwithstanding Gossage is a WA biased flog).
You leave Gossage alone.

Matt Hill is the best all-round commentator in Australia - And he's right up there with Bill Collins for race-calling.

He lost me when he started on about how great the umpires have been for the early part of the season :D

As for the Bill Collins call..............you cannot be serious :drunk: he is OK but lets not get carried away :rolleyes:

He lost me when he started on about how great the umpires have been for the early part of the season :D

As for the Bill Collins call..............you cannot be serious :drunk: he is OK but lets not get carried away :rolleyes:
LOL Heard that one also. It was just so jarring. :eekv1:

I didn't think he was too bad. Does the job without the schtick. :thumbsu:

Jobe Watson is outrageously bad. So inarticulate. I know he’s not a stupid fella but he just can’t get the words out, and doesn’t offer much when he does. The cronyism/nepotism is so bad in this whole footy industry. For Geelong games I have it on silent, but they find a way to ruin just about every game.

He is so bad he makes Cameron Ling look like a competent special comments commentator. If Lingy is anything to go by then you better get used to Jobe for a while yet ;) Also how bad is Nathan Jones as boundary rider ???

I might be in the minority that likes JB, I wouldn’t put him above Bennett or Nicholson but I enjoy listening to him. I get why they highly promote BT, but he shouldn’t be anything more than a occasional commentator (ie Saturday nights)

7 needs to get rid of Hamish and Darcy, by hook or by crook. Need to use Bennett, Nicholson, JB and a bit of BT as their four guys

I might be in the minority that likes JB, I wouldn’t put him above Bennett or Nicholson but I enjoy listening to him. I get why they highly promote BT, but he shouldn’t be anything more than a occasional commentator (ie Saturday nights)

7 needs to get rid of Hamish and Darcy, by hook or by crook. Need to use Bennett, Nicholson, JB and a bit of BT as their four guys

JB is a shocker and getting worse

he refers to every single kick as a "nice ball" or "good ball" ,,..its a bloody kick you muppet
once you notice, you cant stop hearing it....

hamish and JB are not a commentators bootlace....and BT should be sacked immediately....

Darcy makes sure he executes his media training. Any time one of his fellow colleagues is talking on camera, he makes sure every 3 or so seconds he turns his head forward to make eye contact with the camera. $hits me to tears.
It's not just his eye contact.
He shits everyone to tears cause he's a *******

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Channel 7 is using Brian Taylor to audition its next generation of commentators.

The network’s main man is guiding the rookies in the Sunday afternoon slot with Australia’s best race caller Matt Hill featuring last week.
Former ABC commentator Alister Nicholson was alongside BT the previous week while Jason Bennett is also part of the rotation.
Hill has always coveted commentating AFL and impressed many with his performance on debut at Marvel Stadium for the St Kilda-Richmond game.

“I loved every minute of it,” Hill told Racing.com. “It’s something I’ve always wanted to do, so it was a dream come true.”
The addition of regular Thursday games have forced Seven to add some new faces.
Host Hamish McLachlan is increasing his calling duties this season and on Thursday night will be paired with Bennett, who also commentates VFL and AFLW.
Taylor and James Brayshaw are the prime time Friday night pair with McLachlan joining former Western Bulldogs champion Luke Darcy on Saturday nights.
--------------------------
I guess BT is on too much of a sweet deal to pension off?

Host Hamish McLachlan is increasing his calling duties this season and on Thursday night will be paired with Bennett, who also commentates VFL and AFLW.
They have got to be trolling us at seven at this stage?
Why can’t Bennett, Nicholson, hill and one of JB or BT share the games and piss the rest off

They have got to be trolling us at seven at this stage?
Why can’t Bennett, Nicholson, hill and one of JB or BT share the games and piss the rest off
7 don’t care what the hardcore footy fans want. They only want to attract the nuffies who watch SAS and The Voice.

Mate, it’s not called the Melbourne boys club without reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back