Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Remove this Banner Ad

When did commentators become afraid to take a player to task when they have quite clearly ducked or dived? Has footy become such a boys club that there is no critique whatsoever besides the obligatory "gee....." or "he might have put a bit of mayo on that one BT!" These "commentators" are quite happy to fawn and gush over the usual suspects that appear on gameday and whom the AFL tell us to laud, but if the same players do something that is quite clearly against the spirit of the game, it's amazing how quickly they shut up.

The whole things just a love in for the commentators and the players, and the audience are the ones that get forgotten.

West Coast v St Kilda

Adam Papalia, Jason Dunstall, Matty Pavlich. Beautiful combination.

1 caller for the action, we don't need a sentence for every disposal. Just the player and what they are doing with the ball. In fact if it's kicking around the backline we barely need the player.

2 special comments guys who can bounce ideas off each other. A veteran who has old school knowledge whilst also being familiar with the new school happenings and a younger recently retired player.

West Coast v St Kilda

Adam Papalia, Jason Dunstall, Matty Pavlich. Beautiful combination.

1 caller for the action, we don't need a sentence for every disposal. Just the player and what they are doing with the ball. In fact if it's kicking around the backline we barely need the player.

2 special comments guys who can bounce ideas off each other. A veteran who has old school knowledge whilst also being familiar with the new school happenings and a younger recently retired player.

Papalia I like, Dunstall is a miserable twat with a black cloud over his head and Pav is a bit boring with too many Ross Lyonisms for mine. The rest I agree with + someone with a good sense of humour wouldnt hurt.

I muted the tv for more than a half of the game on Friday night.

BT
Ling
Richo
Basil
Some other dumbass

They weren't even talking about the footy during the game. It was a bit of a dour, boring and frustrating match, but * me BT has such a big ego. He just can't shut up about his personal life.

I think the whole footy media needs a complete overhaul. Outside the the front bar and maybe 360 I wouldn’t recommend any shows to watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You still watch AFL360?

I tuned out of that last year when punchy started turning up drunk and his cohort couldn't fall over himself fast enough to be giddy and funny

You still watch AFL360?

I tuned out of that last year when punchy started turning up drunk and his cohort couldn't fall over himself fast enough to be giddy and funny

I haven’t watched for a long time either however I they normally just keep to the facts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I muted the tv for more than a half of the game on Friday night.

BT
Ling
Richo
Basil
Some other dumbass

They weren't even talking about the footy during the game. It was a bit of a dour, boring and frustrating match, but **** me BT has such a big ego. He just can't shut up about his personal life.

That would be close to the worst commentary team possible. That Channel 7 has them as the 'primetime' combination is deeply disturbing.

Less is more. Should get Gilbert McAddam to commentate the whole game himself.
Yes so we can have more wonderful insight like, Essendon is two goals down, if they kick a goal they will only be one goal down, but if they turn it over and Richmond kick a goal they will be three goals down. The difference between 3 goals and 1 goal is 2 goals.

The only footy media I actively seek out these days is Titus O'Reily's podcast. The fact that a comedian gives the most lucid analysis and insight into the game at the moment says it all, really.

Yes so we can have more wonderful insight like, Essendon is two goals down, if they kick a goal they will only be one goal down, but if they turn it over and Richmond kick a goal they will be three goals down. The difference between 3 goals and 1 goal is 2 goals.
Get Gilbert to give J.R.Smith a call

Remove this Banner Ad

Back