Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hungdaddy

Senior List
Aug 13, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I saw something in the news today about the Rance incident..."channel 7 STARS disagree on dive" - I'm paraphrasing but you get the point.

Stars?!?!! In their playing careers, Carey and Richardson might have been stars but shouldn't their former status be left at the commentary box door. Ch 7 are plain awful these days.

Lukey Miller

Rookie
May 9, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Bruce is the only commentator who is a professional career broadcaster on 7. Basil is a career broadcaster who, with experience, should develop to become a competent pro commentator. I find Brian Taylor is at least fair and he doesn't let his bias dominate like many other commentators often do. Professional sports commentators do not let their bias show - for example the commentators for NFL, NBA and the EPL As for Foxfooty, , Anthony Hudson may develop into a pro if he is paired with professional broadcasters - and Healy is outstanding as a comments man. After that - Dwayne, Eddie and the many of the crew are biased and often actively barrack when broadcasting. Eddie should never be allowed near sports broadcasting, let alone be a game commentator. Jon Brown and Roos are already a very good comments men. Denis and Bruce should be commissioned to train and mentor up and coming AFL commentators. Gerard Waitely is an experienced and competent sports broadcaster and commentator who is under utilised.

Mar 19, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
S.A Spurs, Liverpool
AFL app has multiple streams of every game which is great! But quite delayed unfortunately.
Works well if not watching the game but doesn’t sync up at all if you are at the game or on TV, unless you can pause it.

I tried pausing the game at the game.

It proved quite difficult.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I saw something in the news today about the Rance incident..."channel 7 STARS disagree on dive" - I'm paraphrasing but you get the point.

Stars?!?!! In their playing careers, Carey and Richardson might have been stars but shouldn't their former status be left at the commentary box door. Ch 7 are plain awful these days.
Don't use the word at all. Star, superstar, legend, etc.

It won't happen, but my wish would be for commentary-free vision and sound. There's a term for what you would be listening to as a result, can't think what that is - ambient?

I can't stand the way commentators crap on. I think my biggest gripe, among many, is how they call it thinking we can't see what is happening like in front of our very eyes.

"So and so kicks it out to the wing". Oh rly?

:D

Mar 19, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
S.A Spurs, Liverpool
It won't happen, but my wish would be for commentary-free vision and sound. There's a term for what you would be listening to as a result, can't think what that is - ambient?

I can't stand the way commentators crap on. I think my biggest gripe, among many, is how they call it thinking we can't see what is happening like in front of our very eyes.

"So and so kicks it out to the wing". Oh rly?

:D

It’s about the ‘style’ of commentary. Different sports have differing levels of detail.

Tennis commentary on TV will often eschew commentating everything that happens, which I think is for the best because it’s such a fast game that calling everything sounds ridiculous. Which is what I think when I hear it commentated on the radio. “Federer forehand, to the Nadal backhand, plays it back crosscourt’ I just think ‘accept it, this isn’t a radio sport’

Soccer commentators often let the game breathe especially in lead up play which also works, because it offers a real contrast to when they do call and get excited.

AFL commentary, especially on TV with their FIVE commentators plus special comments, feels like a pizza with EVERY ingredient. And some of the ingredients are chocolate, cloves and capers.

A bit like this.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Malcolm blight was the only thing worse than bazil. I remember one game when (might have been huddo) calling someone a running machine or goal kicking machine or whatever it was and blight goes "il stop you there huddo) then proceeds to go on this epoc rant how its impossible for human beings to be a machine as machines are mechanical intruments yada yada...lost the plot.

Also it irritates the s**t out of me when dermie has too much of an ego to actuall call a shot before it is kicked. Someone will be lining up for goal, theyl kick and just about as the ball is going to cross the line he will sit back in his chair and say " now he will want to curl this slightly left to right....yea that will work" after hes just watched what the ball actually does

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Ling is the worst comments man in the world. Fair dinkum. Everything was a free kick. Nothing was ever wrong and he has the charisma of a robot.

Also the commentary fapping over Petracca and how he loves the big stage? He was s**t. Jack Viney was immense for us and deserves those plaudits, same with Jetta but of course they focus on the sexier option.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Ling was OK when he started but now he's just another Ch7 sycophant like Darcy and his Geelong bias can be nauseating when he commentates their games.

Malcolm blight was the only thing worse than bazil. I remember one game when (might have been huddo) calling someone a running machine or goal kicking machine or whatever it was and blight goes "il stop you there huddo) then proceeds to go on this epoc rant how its impossible for human beings to be a machine as machines are mechanical intruments yada yada...lost the plot.

Also it irritates the s**t out of me when dermie has too much of an ego to actuall call a shot before it is kicked. Someone will be lining up for goal, theyl kick and just about as the ball is going to cross the line he will sit back in his chair and say " now he will want to curl this slightly left to right....yea that will work" after hes just watched what the ball actually does

I didn't mind Blight as a commentator, he was a bit left field with his thoughts on the game, some of it was just plain kooky but he was at least interesting.

AcuteWhistle

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Watched the Thursday Night game with radio coverage, which was fine, & then the replay with CH7's bunch of jokers...the number of mistakes they all made with player names was just disgraceful, my favourite was Basil calling Hooker Bellchambers...yeah they look alike, they're tall:drunk:.

Incompetents.

PowerForGood

2020. The year the competition became terminal. Ju
10k Posts
Sep 1, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Lakers, Rabbitohs
To me the best caller in the business is Hudson, with Whatley being second best. I don't think it is a coincidence that the best commentators are not former players.
Absolutely. For special comments roles then former players are perfect because they can provide insight on something that is happening by giving a players perspective.

Calling players by their wrong name is not commentary.

Coldacre

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Basil is the future!

he’s an absolute star!

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Ling was OK when he started but now he's just another Ch7 sycophant like Darcy and his Geelong bias can be nauseating when he commentates their games.
See it's funny you say that, because most Geelong fans would say he's painfully neutral and won't make a call. Eh, he must be on a long contract like Basil

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
What can we do as the bigfooty community to get rid of Basil. It is unfair for footy followers to have to listen to this, or being forced to resort to radio sincs to get half decent commentary.

Sprout

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 6, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, The Exers
It’s gone beyond a joke how bad Ling has become. He may as well just say “durrrr durrrrrr durrrrrrrr” everytime he is asked a question. It would offer as much as what he currently does.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back