Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Today brownless said wright not getting a game for gold coast because something was going on behind the scenes. Fwit didnt know Wright missed months with injury. I thought that was as bad as it gets.

Richo on ch7 has him covered. Deadset footy nuff nuff and captain obvious.
Brownless is a moron that should just be kept for that idiotic Thurs night show

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ch 7.... who is their target market? Certainly it is not football fans.

Luke Darcy is supposed to call the game... but he only calls the game sometimes...
Brayshaw.... husky without any tone in his voice.
Ling... shut up Ling.
Bruce..... he really loves a winner.... Winx and Richmond atm.
Richo.... perhaps the best of the lot. Normally he is impartial and willing to have an unpopular opinion.

They have the rights to televise the footy..... but we all turn off the sound... if i was an advertiser i would be pissed.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
I have found a stream (unfortunately it wasn't up tonight) where some Eastern European station has one guy commentating in a language I don't understand - Often goes 15 to 20 secs at a time without saying anything and the feed has the crowd noise and it is great

Also it makes me giggle when he suddenly says a player's name and then back to words I don't understand

It's an indictment on Ch7 that listening to a foreign language that I don't understand (or even know what language he is speaking) is infinitely more enjoyable than listening to them

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I have found a stream (unfortunately it wasn't up tonight) where some Eastern European station has one guy commentating in a language I don't understand - Often goes 15 to 20 secs at a time without saying anything and the feed has the crowd noise and it is great

Also it makes me giggle when he suddenly says a player's name and then back to words I don't understand

It's an indictment on Ch7 that listening to a foreign language that I don't understand (or even know what language he is speaking) is infinitely more enjoyable than listening to them

You sure it isn't Dipper?

Draft Pick

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs

No I disagree.

Channel 7 have a very insightful team.

BT is a great analysis. He is wasted as s caller.

Ling and Darce are very understated are fair minded and don’t get carried away at all.

Fox Footy should take note.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Ch 7.... who is their target market? Certainly it is not football fans.

Luke Darcy is supposed to call the game... but he only calls the game sometimes...
Brayshaw.... husky without any tone in his voice.
Ling... shut up Ling.
Bruce..... he really loves a winner.... Winx and Richmond atm.
Richo.... perhaps the best of the lot. Normally he is impartial and willing to have an unpopular opinion.

They have the rights to televise the footy..... but we all turn off the sound... if i was an advertiser i would be pissed.
It’ll never change though mate, it’ll always be a ‘jobs for the boys with a token Sarah Jones’ industry.

You’re right about Richo, he is one that calls it as he should, JB I rate but on radio when they can have banter.

Darcy & Bruce don’t understand the game, and Ling just repeats what we see.

For the most part it’s a monumental failure.

HawkMongrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MVFC, Aston Villa
No I disagree.

Channel 7 have a very insightful team.

BT is a great analysis. He is wasted as s caller.

Ling and Darce are very understated are fair minded and don’t get carried away at all.

Fox Footy should take note.

You need a new dealer.

Draft Pick

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
You need a new dealer.
Yeah I have a major problem as you have stated.

I just really enjoy Channel 7 coverage of footy.

So much so, I got rid of Foxtel as they don’t have an analysis as good as BT, Duck and Daisy.

Such as a waste of money.

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Miss Dennis commetti . Best caller ever

Dennis and Huddo would be part of my "dream team" callers of the game.

I really like Lyon on special comments. So that leaves two more spots. One more special comments and a boundary rider.

Richo is probably the best boundary rider atm.... but hard to go past Dipper. Daisy is also very good.

The other special comments person.... i don't know. Perhaps Cornes (vomit) but at least he has an opinion.

Personally, i lost a lot of admiration for Whately this year.

Just bring in Jason Bennett ffs. Bruce is a full on weirdo, what was it with that Winx s**t? Ling is a broadcasting disaster. whether he’s offering simple obvious analysis or interviewing some poor player pre or post game. Brian T is just all about him. Roaming Brian is beyond rubbish.

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes

It's Russian and it's my go to (digitally triple-condomed). Another benefit is, you actually concentrate on the play more rather than rely on someone telling you about it. And the crowd noise is mixed louder.

I'd agree that Hudson is the best, except that he's usually shouting and feels he must slap a catch phrase on a run of play to brand it. That makes him unlistenable for me.

Ling is under instruction, I'm sure, to fill air space with sound in 3 second sound bites. He can analyze well but for some reason he doesn't on 7. IMO he carving out a lucrative career in the media the way he remade himself into a champion tagger :).

Darcy(who I think Ling is modeling his media career on) is in all honestly really that bland. Which would make him a good play by play(please just don't editorialize for the love of god) who set up the special comments guy. Think of the original NFL Monday Night Football, Gifford had no personality either. He left that to Cosell and Meredith.

I would also go as far to say the Taylor would be a good special comments, or even play by play, as long as he played it straight, no over top crap.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Wish the rights would go back to nine or TEN but looks like we're stuck with seven.

Having said that I don't mind most of their commentators except Bruce and BT. Bruce knows his stuff but he spends most of the time yelling or growling and "arches his back" Listening to these two is mentally fatiguing and I end up switching channels. The other seven guys are nowhere near as bad even if they are a bunch of campaigners

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Compare Bruce to some of Mike Williamson's old calls. yikes. Williamson stepped aside at the top of his game too, Bruce never had it and we're still subjected to him as he slides into senility.
The good news is the senility has arrived.

The erotic growls, the fawning, the rhetorical questions, the use of colossus all the time, the feeling he is tugging himself constantly....

Awful.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ling is still number one spud.
Not so.

Spud is number 1 spud.

No body in footy is a bigger spud than spud Frawley.
Ling is a spud even potential spud number 2.

If you cloned Spud Frawley and Andrew Gaze there would still be less than 1 brain cell between them.

Taking dumbness to a whole new level.

Last edited:

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
The sooner the AFL takes over the production of the game, and sells games in each market to FTA/Fox/Online the better. I'm sick of the amateur hour we have at the moment.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Brownless is a moron that should just be kept for that idiotic Thurs night show

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

It amazes me how this guy has survived in the media for over 20 years when all he really does is just roll up and talk about the game he saw on TV the night before through the bottom of a beer glass. Anyone on this forum could do that. It's like the time he spent on SEN where he sat in back reading the paper most of the time. Could you imagine Brownless actually trying to work for a living? :)

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
In an ideal world, JB x 2 (Bennett and Brayshaw) are the faces of Ch 7 commentary, Bruce and maybe Hamish commentate a game a week, BT, Darce and Basil * off and they get someone like Montagna as fresh blood

But we all know that will never happen

Back