Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse... they give us choreographed pre game on field interviews. Here's my faves:

Last weekend they made Scott walk across the field while they interviewed him, and at the end he had to run back to where they started.

Two weeks ago, I forget which coach, but they walked him in the general direction of the interchange bench, and the idea clearly was for all of them to sit on the bench but only BT remembered, so he was sitting alone on the bench hoping the others would join him. They didn't.

Alan Richardson. This is my favourite. Last year or the year before. Two interviewers were flanking him, and the three of them were clearly told by the producer to walk across the field and not to stop because stopping would cause a static and boring picture. Richo unfortunately has trouble walking and talking at the same time. He needs to stop and think before he answers a question. At first they gave him subtle hints to keep walking, but eventually they had to physically prod him. It looked like a kidnapping.

And the funniest thing I've seen at a game this year.... Danny Frawley. The half time McCafe analysis. He looked like he turned up late, frantically put on his McCafe sweater and ruffled his hair. He looked like he was in a police lineup.

It's not just the commentary, i think the crap they put on before the actual game is pretty s**thouse too, it's just cringe, the sunday footy show is putrid as well

I think another station needs to have a crack at it
I know the old days always seem better than the new ones - but it was great back when it was Channel 10 also having part of the broadcasting rights. Made for some real competition between broadcasters.

I know the old days always seem better than the new ones - but it was great back when it was Channel 10 also having part of the broadcasting rights. Made for some real competition between broadcasters.

So hard to know re: Good Old Days. There's definite comfort in wanting to go back to what you grew up with. Equally want to see improvements and change in the coverage. I don't blame them for trying new things but it's my belief there have been more misses than hits recently. I think the AFL are performing poorly compared to the media.

Watching footy since the eighties and Ch 10 has smashed 7. For some reason seven has always adopted a cheesy folksy persona that seems aimed at a non discerning 10 yr old. Nine made it about the personalities and egos which was also annoying. Fox seems patchy with Dwayne and Lynch making it really hard work.

Ten seemed to get the balance right IMO.

Never thought I’d say this, but Seven has a good commentator on its hands. Jason Bennett is a genuinely superb play by play caller and, most importantly, good team man. Like the best players, he actually makes those around him better. Ling and Darcy were good at their jobs during the Lions/North game. Normally they are inane, self centred and making me reach for the mute button. As John Lennon may have said if he was watching Seven tonight: “Imagine there’s no w***ers, it’s easy if ...”

Never thought I’d say this, but Seven has a good commentator on its hands. Jason Bennett is a genuinely superb play by play caller and, most importantly, good team man. Like the best players, he actually makes those around him better. Ling and Darcy were good at their jobs during the Lions/North game. Normally they are inane, self centred and making me reach for the mute button. As John Lennon may have said if he was watching Seven tonight: “Imagine there’s no w***ers, it’s easy if ...”

Jason Bennett is an outstanding caller and should be given a regular gig in the 7AFL rotation, has been great doing the VFL for a few years.

BT and Hamish McGilsbro are to commentary what fingernails are to a blackboard.

McGilsbro has Russell's thing for inane social/personal facts about players 'Did you know player x has the longest blonde mullet in the league and was once state under 12s tiddlywinks champion?' Nobody gives a ****

BT uses his commentary box to indulge his own personal homoerotic fantasies with umpires/throw ins/players with funny sounding names and is like a creepy uncle.

Last edited:
Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse... they give us choreographed pre game on field interviews. Here's my faves:

Last weekend they made Scott walk across the field while they interviewed him, and at the end he had to run back to where they started.

Two weeks ago, I forget which coach, but they walked him in the general direction of the interchange bench, and the idea clearly was for all of them to sit on the bench but only BT remembered, so he was sitting alone on the bench hoping the others would join him. They didn't.

Alan Richardson. This is my favourite. Last year or the year before. Two interviewers were flanking him, and the three of them were clearly told by the producer to walk across the field and not to stop because stopping would cause a static and boring picture. Richo unfortunately has trouble walking and talking at the same time. He needs to stop and think before he answers a question. At first they gave him subtle hints to keep walking, but eventually they had to physically prod him. It looked like a kidnapping.

And the funniest thing I've seen at a game this year.... Danny Frawley. The half time McCafe analysis. He looked like he turned up late, frantically put on his McCafe sweater and ruffled his hair. He looked like he was in a police lineup.
I may have said this in other threads but it bears repeating: the increased 'access' players and coaches means absolutely zero to me.

They just dish up banal cliches and it's become incredibly easy to zone them out and treat them as background noise.

might be stuck with them for an additional 2 years...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d sack BT, Lingy, Richo and Darcy. Retire Bruce. They’re all completely rubbish.

I’d get Whateley to front their coverage, promote Jason Bennett, Bartel and Daisy. Hire Adam Papalia. Give further tryouts to Jobe, Goddard and Hodge.

I’d sack BT, Lingy, Richo and Darcy. Retire Bruce. They’re all completely rubbish.

I’d get Whateley to front their coverage, promote Jason Bennett, Bartel and Daisy. Hire Adam Papalia. Give further tryouts to Jobe, Goddard and Hodge.
Lingy and Richo are boring as watching paint dry. The biggest fence sitters of all time

All sounds ok except HELL NO to Whateley.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

The best experience is in HD on mute.

The commentary when watching for lifelong fans offers nothing. At worst you may have to unmute to underhand the umpiring call but even then the umps signal their decision.

Both watching my own team and neutral games - it is much less stressful without their input

In fairness overall, this applies to both Fox and Seven.

The best experience is in HD on mute.

The commentary when watching for lifelong fans offers nothing. At worst you may have to unmute to underhand the umpiring call but even then the umps signal their decision.

Both watching my own team and neutral games - it is much less stressful without their input

In fairness overall, this applies to both Fox and Seven.

They honestly need to offer an option of just crowd noise or 'the sound of the game.'

I wonder what the % of would be of people who prefer to listen to that than the actual commentary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back