Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO Cometti was becoming a joke.

He was more interested in dropping in little funny comments with players names in it trying to get a "Ooooh you've still got it Den!" from Bruce

If these guys actually just call the game and don't give a single opinion they're fine.... well bearable

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Question to those who kept a keen ear on Bruce's commentary in the 1990's and in the early 2000's - did he partake in as many 'jokes' and off-topic banter and act in such a self indulgent way back then? I'm not talking about the rhetorical questions or the one liners, just in general attitude to the commentary.

He has been the way he is now ever since channel 7 regained the rights in 2007, but I don't quite remember how he was in the 90's or in 2000/2001. What do you guys think?

I can go back to before then. I remember Bruce calling the SANFL, and he just called the game, I guess like his racing background. When he got into AFL, for some reason he adopted a completely different style, changed the way he spoke, introduced things like "speeeeeeeeeeeecial", and "A beeeeeeuuuuttyyyyyyyyy". He turned into a w***er almost overnight.

It's like when Shane Warne retired and he asked Ian Chappell just before making his decision about it.
Chappell said "Better off people asking why you retired than asking why you didn't retire."

I agree with that, but why would a commentator retire? They earn great money to just sit there and talk crap. It's not like it's job that takes anything out of you. I would think commentators would be like coaches, they never quit, they get sacked.

I don't understand the need for commentators anyway. You don't need them when you're watching at the ground. Why do you need people telling you who's got the ball when you can see it for yourself.
Fair point.
I sometimes wonder if all the egomaniacs at Fox and Ch 7 realise how many thousands of people happily watch the footy at pubs and restaurants etc (not this year, of course) without hearing the commentators, due to music and other noise drowning out the tv. :D No one I've seen watching the footy at a pub seems to care that they can't hear the telly; they're quite happy drinking and talking to their mates

Last edited:
Fair point.
I sometimes wonder if all the egomaniacs at Fox and Ch 7 realise how many thousands of people happily watch the footy at pubs and restaurants etc (not this year, of course) without hearing the commentators due to music and other noise drowning out the tv. :D No one I've seen watching the footy at a pub seems to care that they can't hear the telly; they're quite happy to drink booze and talk to their mates instead

When we used to be able to watch the footy with mates over we used to turn the sound down so you could just hear what was happening and we would talk / yell over the top of that.

Fair point.
I sometimes wonder if all the egomaniacs at Fox and Ch 7 realise how many thousands of people happily watch the footy at pubs and restaurants etc (not this year, of course) without hearing the commentators, due to music and other noise drowning out the tv. :D No one I've seen watching the footy at a pub seems to care that they can't hear the telly; they're quite happy drinking and talking to their mates

Yep, quite often over the years I've pulled out a CD and listened to music whilst watching the footy. I don't feel as though I've missed out on anything, and I've certainly switched off when those horrid half time analysis shows are on.

I don't understand the need for commentators anyway. You don't need them when you're watching at the ground. Why do you need people telling you who's got the ball when you can see it for yourself.
Pretty simple solution ... simply turn the volume down ... problem solved.

Pretty simple solution ... simply turn the volume down ... problem solved.
Still want the crowd noise though, they should have an option to do that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought BT was better last night with JB co calling.
I thought the same, both of them were better actually. BT and JB have worked together in one platform or another for close to 20 years, they have really good chemistry and compliment each other really well. Really hope Bruce retires so JB can be elevated to Thursday/Friday nights.

I think BT cops it a bit too much. Yes, he does carry on a bit, but there's nothing bland and PC about his commentary and he's happy to provide a bit of colour and call it how he sees it. Doesn't just go with safe, consensus type assessments. At his best he is a very good commentator and has the ability to do it well, unlike many of the others on Seven (cough, cough, Daisy Pearce).

I think BT cops it a bit too much. Yes, he does carry on a bit, but there's nothing bland and PC about his commentary and he's happy to provide a bit of colour and call it how he sees it. Doesn't just go with safe, consensus type assessments. At his best he is a very good commentator and has the ability to do it well, unlike many of the others on Seven (cough, cough, Daisy Pearce).
Hey gets almost every opinion about a decision wrong. Terrible commentator

I get a bit triggered by BT when he claims that he can tell what the players are saying to each other, or to the umpires.

He was more interested in dropping in little funny comments with players names in it trying to get a "Ooooh you've still got it Den!" from Bruce

If these guys actually just call the game and don't give a single opinion they're fine.... well bearable

How much of this was influenced or demanded by channel 7??

I suspect it was a lot of it.

Yeah Cometti was terrible towards the end - Bruce ruined him like he ruins everyone he calls with.

It’s funny how people are saying BT was better with JB - it was the same when Dennis called a game with Basil in Perth. He was way better without Bruce.

I can go back to before then. I remember Bruce calling the SANFL, and he just called the game, I guess like his racing background. When he got into AFL, for some reason he adopted a completely different style, changed the way he spoke, introduced things like "speeeeeeeeeeeecial", and "A beeeeeeuuuuttyyyyyyyyy". He turned into a w***er almost overnight.

I found this on YouTube and this is Bruce at his best. This is the style of commentary he used for the footy in the 90s so far from where he is today.

Ch 7 comms really pumping up regularly how Eagles and Saints need to win tonight to guarantee a finals spot.

Not only are West Coast 2 games and 14% ahead of GWS, but GWS meet St Kilda in the final round and the Saints still have a worse percentage than GWS. So therefore the mathematical likelihood make it a nonsense claim. And that's before even factoring in West Coast play North Melbourne final round.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back