Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem with 7 is they have this belief that if you didn’t play the game, you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Cometti, Grybas, Roberts, Hudson, Morphett

None were great players, they were announcers. That’s the key
All ex players need to do 4 years at waapa / nida etc and learn their craft

The worst part mostly about the current commentary whether it’s pay tv or commercial tv is they give us no insight into the game outside what’s on the screen. You have modern tactics that doesn’t translate well onto our tv screens. At the ground you get why they have so many players around the ball & where they are standing and why they’re standing in certain positions and why it’s getting so hard to move the ball forward.

All we get is cliches and no in depth story telling of what’s happening. And it’s probably got a bit to do with that a fair few of them have been out of the game so long and are so lazy when it comes to research its that they really don’t understand what’s happening and producers not directing them to give us this information.

And it showed out last year when commentary should have been below what it normally is due to not being at the ground but it honestly sounded no different to 2019. So it highlights how deplorable they are at conveying what’s happening in the game. To me that’s mainly the job of the special comments commentator, ex players, with input from the other commentators at the direction of the producers.

The worst part mostly about the current commentary whether it’s pay tv or commercial tv is they give us no insight into the game outside what’s on the screen. You have modern tactics that doesn’t translate well onto our tv screens. At the ground you get why they have so many players around the ball & where they are standing and why they’re standing in certain positions and why it’s getting so hard to move the ball forward.

All we get is cliches and no in depth story telling of what’s happening. And it’s probably got a bit to do with that a fair few of them have been out of the game so long and are so lazy when it comes to research its that they really don’t understand what’s happening and producers not directing them to give us this information.

And it showed out last year when commentary should have been below what it normally is due to not being at the ground but it honestly sounded no different to 2019. So it highlights how deplorable they are at conveying what’s happening in the game. To me that’s mainly the job of the special comments commentator, ex players, with input from the other commentators at the direction of the producers.

‘then you put the tv on mute and sync a radio call.

Rod law the guy who staRted fox sports said recently on the Sam Newman podcast that we want to be entertained. That’s why they paid a “straight guy” with a more entertaining caller. For sample he said cometti and Bruce couldn’t work. Need someone like bt in there.

How about being a good caller first.

Rod law the guy who staRted fox sports said recently on the Sam Newman podcast that we want to be entertained. That’s why they paid a “straight guy” with a more entertaining caller. For sample he said cometti and Bruce couldn’t work. Need someone like bt in there.

How about being a good caller first.

Give me the red button so no commentary and they could put Donald Trump as commentator & I couldn’t care less. As for Rod I don’t watch footy on tv to be entertained by the odd couple. I like to be entertained by the play on the field.

Watching the Saturday night 7 game - essendon and hawks and the commentary is atrocious. Firstly has Ling tried to get blonde die through his hair or something? Secondly Darcy, richo and Ling are bottom of the commentary barrel and to have them all on the same night is ridiculous. It's a shame kayo/fox footy don't run their own commentary team, instead of using the 7 feed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't believe Heath Shaw is on live tv. Did he get out one 'clean' sentence? I thought Wispy Watson was joking when he said Heath might be on soon.

Right at the end of the GWS game, Luke Darcy asked GWS board member Jimmy Bartel if he was ''happy'' with a decision that went against the Giants. It was a dumb question and exposes the issue of having Bartel doing the game. Thankfully BT moved the discussion on by saying something like ''it's hard for you (Bartel) to answer'''.

Right at the end of the GWS game, Luke Darcy asked GWS board member Jimmy Bartel if he was ''happy'' with a decision that went against the Giants. It was a dumb question and exposes the issue of having Bartel doing the game. Thankfully BT moved the discussion on by saying something like ''it's hard for you (Bartel) to answer'''.
Which is exactly why he (and others) shouldn't be there.

I don't want commentators who are compromised to such an extent.

Odds on to be topic of "Caro's Arrow" on Footy Classified this week.

Maybe it was the excitement of footy being back with crowds at the G on Thursday, but I actually felt like I enjoyed the chemistry in the Ch7 box much more than I have for pretty much every blockbuster fixture in about the last 10 years. BT didn't seem to be going to OTT, maybe he's more comfortable with JB? As much as I have infinite respect for Bruce, it was good to not have to deal with his cringe. No Carey, No Ling, No Richo (who's not as bad as the other two but has certainly become a bit tire-some) all made a noticeable difference, in my opinion. Couple all that with Luke Hodge being probably the best special comments person in the game and Jobe (who offers decent insights but still struggles to articulate it) being more than serviceable, it was actually nice to sit and watch.

Maybe it was because it was a decent game and faux excitement didn't have to be over-produced

Remove this Banner Ad

Back